How many spray cans to paint a small car plz?

Page 2 / 3
hatchback, Nov 7, 5:17am
30 cans at $15 each! thats $450, thats OUTRAGEOUS.Find a compressor and spray gun, buy 4ltrs Dulux high gloss enamel, 8ltrs petrol, 2 rolls tape, 5 sheets 320.$150 tops.have done this on a few cars, comes up a treat

40wav, Nov 7, 5:22am
I painted a Holden Barina and it took 9, then I did a Leyland P76 and it took 16. Matt black, no laquer, looked real rough but both were better than when I started. This was some years ago.

johnf_456, Nov 7, 5:27am
won't be a descent compressor

trogedon, Nov 7, 5:35am
What a waste ;-(

ralphdog1, Nov 7, 6:21am
Of cans or a Viva.or both!

trogedon, Nov 7, 6:38am
Good Q. After owning a Viva.both.

mber2, Nov 7, 6:55am
I think the $150 might be for paint and all the bits and pieces
Then go and hire a compressor for the day from a hire shop

And by the way I bought a compressor from an opshop for $10 nothing wrong with it

corvette3, Nov 7, 7:08am
I painted a Morris Oxford with a "Yard Broom" with Brown Paint.It looked like crap so in white paint I signed it and Named it "The Turd".I could leave it unlocked with the keys in the ignition and nobody stole it.

hatchback, Nov 7, 8:38am
Yes meant $150 for materials, I already have the comp and guns

tandj3, Nov 7, 5:52pm

sprayer88, Nov 8, 7:49am
Being a car painter i wouldnt recommend it. You can buy cheap enough spray guns and some shops will still sell paint to the general public. Hire a compressor and go for it. Even better recommendation is to get a mate who can spray to do it as a perk! oh and dont forget to gain a key (i.e scotch or sand) or your paint will fall off

trader_84, Nov 8, 8:23am
What do you mean some shops will still sell paint to the public - don't they all!

hatchback, Nov 8, 8:34am
No he means Paintshops as in car painters

petermcg, Nov 9, 3:39am
I say 10 cans, and it pays to use a different colour each time you get a new can out, this way you can see where you have been.

jonthefisho, Nov 9, 9:02pm
5 cans.
1 for the car and the other 4 for you and
your mates to sniff while your doing it.

chebry, Nov 9, 10:24pm
Probably need 24 cans of lager that will make it look better

hatchback, Nov 9, 11:41pm
Saw an old 100e prefect done like that once except I think there must have been 10 people with a different colour each and they just randomly painted all over, looked great.surprized the young boyracers dont "gangsta tag" their shitbox Civics and 323's that way.damn did I say that out loud

kiwibookhunter, Nov 13, 7:04pm
okay so I sorted the rust and dents using 5 cans of primer.Easy.Rustcon, Small can of bog, two rolls of tape, a 3 pack of huge plastic rubbish sacks, 15 sheets of 180 grit, 10x 320, 10x 600, 5x1200.Went and borrowed a gun and compressor.The first coats of primer are almost completely sanded and will be putting on a second round about lunch time.

bill-robinson, Nov 13, 8:24pm
so you are not using spraycans then!

kiwibookhunter, Nov 13, 8:27pm
only for the hard initial prep work.I never was going to use rattle cans to do the bulk of the spraying, that was just an assumption that other posters made.

attitudedesignz, Nov 13, 8:43pm
Can i ask why you got 600 grit paper!

I use, from bare metal to buff.

40 - 180 - 220 - 400 - 1200 - (sometimes) 1500.

I would only ever use 600 / 800 if i'm going to flow coat a clear.

stc10, Nov 14, 2:34am
Anyone read this thread! Keen to give it a crack. Basic googling can't find that specific paint in a non aerosol tin in NZ.

Would there be a suitable alternative! Or anyone seen it!

bellky, Nov 14, 2:41am
^They do that with Epoxy Enamel.

stc10, Nov 14, 3:34am

marte, Nov 14, 4:21am
The spraycan I brought had enough paint in it to cover a house door.
It was 'supercheap' stuff & I got a $12 for 3 cans deal.

To prepair the cans,
I shookthen for a minute or more, Then I heat them up with warm water in a icecream container.
Shook them again & then made the water warmer by adding hotter water.
Then shook them again.

As you normally use the cans, they cool down as you use them.
So bywarming them I thin the paint & up the pressure behind the spray & get more consistant pressure & finer mist spray.