Anyone.want.a.brand.n-ew.Ford.1940.coupe

ghost-roaster, Nov 9, 7:28pm

chebry, Nov 9, 8:18pm
Love one but a bit out of my price range, it will be the first time 40s are sold here new.

trader_84, Nov 9, 8:51pm
Best looking car .ever. But BS aye! By the time some A-hole kiwi middle man/business has his/their hooks into it, it will have doubled/trebled in price.

xpfairmont, Nov 9, 9:35pm
Still cheaper than some of the rusty wreaks in NZ!

jkm, Nov 9, 10:34pm
wouldnt you be annoyed if you had an original though, could be a sudden influx of Ford coupes about.

a.woodrow, Nov 9, 10:42pm
but it's just a shell.

clark20, Nov 9, 11:07pm
I doubt you could register a new one, but rebody an old one! yes.

trader_84, Nov 10, 4:24am
Yeah it does raise the point of whats around being too much $$$. The last one I saw on here had a price tag of 12k attached to it and it needed going over bigtime. For and extra 5k (which would buy you about 4/5ths of f**k all from a hotroddy type panelbeater) you can have a new one it seems. This body style/model (39 and 40) coupe from Ford has always commanded the biggest dollars of them all. I have a Chrysler engine that would suit one of these :)) There is a place in Aussie that has been making glass ones of these. There was one on here a couple of years ago from them.

xpfairmont, Nov 10, 7:28am
but what about new fibreglass rods!

neville48, Nov 10, 8:49am
Dennis Carpenter has them, brand new bodies for $US15,450.00 + Freight or just the main body for $US11,900.00 + Freight, all steel, assembled in the USA, 19 gauge steel, weld thru primer.He has had them about 2 years now.Brookville also make all sorts of all steel bodies, ie 32 3 window coupes ,32 roadsters.Which begs to ask the question." If you choose to build one of these into a restored car or hot rod, should you be able to win the prize at a national show level for best Ford Coupe, when its not, its a replica. Your thoughts on this one please.That goes for fibreglass as well. Can it be a 1940 Ford Coupe when it was totally produced in 2012 !

xpfairmont, Nov 10, 9:58am
The one shown by the OP is made by Ford.

Could win best reproduction rod at a hotrod show. Better make some new trophies for a new category! (or biggest wallet!) But only for the steel ones. Never been into fibreglass myself.

Also Ford do a new body shell for Mustangs (65-66 I think). not that these are thin on the ground so I don't know why! Maybe it is because all the original ones are now in NZ!

hotrodtodd1, Nov 11, 2:14am
Some want original tin and some want tin in the original shape. Me, I would love to have one of the new bodies because its new and I dont have to visit the bodyman for so long. A mint original 40 coupe aint a cheap buy.

Much the same arguments in the US over whether a Brookville 32 body is inferior to genuine Henry Ford steel. It matters a LOT to some folk.

brokebloke1, Nov 11, 2:39am
A mate of mine has just imported a "new" 1965 mustang convertable body from the states
Had a quick look at it and I must say very very well made hard to tell that it was a repro, even geni mustang parts fit it!
Was a lot cheaper to buy this than to replace rusty metal dented panels on a geni 65

neville48, Nov 11, 3:40am
Much the same arguments in the US over whether a Brookville 32 body is inferior to genuine Henry Ford steel. It matters a LOT to some folk.

Edited by hotrodtodd1 at 3:14 pm, Sun 11 Nov

Quotehotrodtodd1 (91 )3:14 pm, Sun 11 Nov #12
Too right it matters to a lot of folk, take listing # 530428484, its listed as a 1933 ford coupe. Please tell me which part is 1933 ford coupe, dare ya.I wonder can this car be taken to the pre 48 nationals or win a ford category at a hot rod show !

neville48, Nov 11, 3:43am
PS;The ones from Dennis Carpenter are made under license out of the same presses and diesthat Ford are using.

xpfairmont, Nov 11, 3:45am
Simple: the body design

trader_84, Nov 11, 4:05am
Back in the day when these along with their peers from the other camps were a dime a dozen . if you could get a shell in fibre for racing - you woulda been killed in the rush.

trogedon, Nov 11, 4:44am
A shell is just a big part.

xpfairmont, Nov 11, 4:59am
Just saw the price, Who the F**K! would pay that!

trader_84, Nov 12, 8:41pm
A similar point could be argued about an original body/shell but fitted/repaired with repro panels ??

pebbles61, Nov 12, 9:47pm
lol rules for hot rods, wtf