Servicing at local garage vs dealership

Page 2 / 2
unbeatabull, Nov 14, 4:04am
It's all a different field of work though. Most of the work you guys would be doing (I imagine) will be servicing, cambelts etc, suspension/tyres/brakes/chassi-
s - all mechanical stuff.

Are you guys doing recalibrations, updates and adjustments of ECU/PCM etc Modules, relearning ABS Wheel Speed Sensors, calibration and refitting of Steering angle, Yaw Rates, DSG Clutch learning procedures etc!

mechnificent, Nov 14, 4:17am
Oh well Mopsy, I've been self employed almost continuously for the last thirty-six years, in the country, working on all makes and models and all sorts of equipment, and I have also worked in a couple of dealerships. and dealerships do have some advantages.

And yes, I have a good relationship with the dealers, i can get trouble codes out, and know how to diagnose electrical and electronic problems. sometimes though, it's just quicker and easier to send it off to the experts.

It is a vanity to think that you can do anything, and better, than the dealers. in my opinion.
I always seek to get the best deal for my customers. I will look at the car, ascertain what the problem is or isn't, confer with the dealers, and then if it seems prudent, send it in to them to confirm or diagnose the problem.

mechnificent, Nov 14, 4:18am
Lol.
"Are you guys doing recalibrations, updates and adjustments of ECU/PCM etc Modules, relearning ABS Wheel Speed Sensors, calibration and refitting of Steering angle, Yaw Rates, DSG Clutch learning procedures etc!".

Might not have heard of such things.

supertech1, Nov 14, 4:19am
Yes to all

mechnificent, Nov 14, 4:29am
Recalibrations are a good point.
I had a customer come with a new car a while back, which had a tiny surge as you throttled on lightly. I knew that it could be something simple, like the throttle sensor adjustment or idle switch, but I also knew that it could need the timing reset. so I suggested that they call in and talked to the dealer before I spent hours gathering all the information, then going through the car systematically checking every item that it might have been. as it turned out, the dealer stuck it on the machine while the lady waited, adjusted the timing, which was a common fault with imports, and the car was fixed.

It would have been foolishness for me to start playing around with the car. I could have wasted a fortune for the lady. something that I hear other garages and mechanics doing all the time!

kazbanz, Nov 14, 5:30am
My situation is different than for most folks in that I have servicing and repair work done fairly regularly.
Ive found that with some makes and models it is by far more economical to go to the franchise dealerships workshop for repair work/fault finding than the local garage. But in most cases for day to day service work a general mechanic is your best option