Akl Mechanic recommendations for R32 GTS4 please

mvr, Nov 15, 1:48am
Can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Auckland please,
that is familiar with Skylines.
Our normal place we go doesnt seem to know much about them.

In particular,the HICAS light is coming on and staying on.
(as soon as you turn the car on, not when open road driving).

And its only doing about 450kms per 60ltr tank of gas.
At this rate we need shares in an oil companylol !

Many thanks

intrade, Nov 15, 1:57am
the secound bit is probably to do with a faulty oxigen sensor or labda sond . it could offcourse also be the hicas turning against each others causing drag. What do the tyres look like inspect them for wear.
Ps i am no expert on hicas just know the absolut basics about em.

mvr, Nov 15, 2:26am
Thanks intrade,
its hard to find anyone who seems to know about them!
There is limited info on the Skyline forums.

The car is due for new tyres soon.
It has Toyo's on it from 3yrs ago.

Please excuse my ignorance, but whats a labda sond !
Thanks for mentioning the oxygen sensor,I've heard that before so I think that might be one of the problems.

mvr, Nov 15, 2:30am
We'd love to get it running properly/give it a good overhaul tune up etc,
but dont know a good place to take it to that deals with these cars,
its a bit old now (1992) must be nearing 'Classic' status soon lol !

incar., Nov 15, 2:35am
Gts4 getting 450kms on 60L of gas is about right, auto or manual! Open road driving or city driving, driving hard or slow

mvr, Nov 15, 2:50am
Manual.open road.
hmm probably not as hard as he'd like to drive itlol!

skyblue17, Nov 15, 3:00am
Do what my BIL did. Delete the Hicas. Plenty of info on google

vr4_legnum, Nov 15, 3:51am
Would go and see Soichi Tate of St Hitec or Joe Kyle of Joe's Mechanical Services both know hell alot about RB engines

xs1100, Nov 15, 7:52am
or even dodsons on the shore,they have set up the odd skyline or 20

mvr, Nov 15, 10:10am
Thanks so much!
ST Hitec is close to us,so will get hold of them.
Yes been thinking about disabling the HICAS.
Much appreciated:-)

motorboy2011, Nov 15, 7:02pm
That fuel consumption is normal, the gts4 is pushing around 150kg more with the 4wd system. As for the hicas, it has a self diagnostic mode, and workshop with half a clue will put it into this mode and get a fault code

n1smo_gtir, Nov 15, 8:32pm
agreed Mr soichi is very well known in skyline and tuning fraternity. Never met him but heard of him as I was in skylines down under club when I had a r33gts25t. Deleting hicas enhances ones experience going around roundabouts:D

mrgts4, Nov 15, 9:27pm
I seem to remember on my gts4 the hicas light came on, it was low on brake fluid. Think there was a resovour in the boot
as well but not 100% sure. It was 10 years ago

motorboy2011, Nov 15, 11:49pm
The resiviour you speak of is ATF fluid, it's for the transfercase pressure pump. If its low it will bring up the 4wd warning light, not the hicas one.

mrgts4, Nov 16, 12:13am
Ok, thought it was the hicas light that came on, couldn't remember 100% but remember having to top it up.

motorboy2011, Nov 16, 12:38am
Yeah I had same light come up on my 4wd cefiro, took a while to figure out as I didn't know about the resevuorat the time

daz59, Nov 16, 10:30am
Hicas light comes on when cluch or power steering oil is low. there is an oil reservoir in the boot for the hicas, behind the pannel on the right side.

motorboy2011, Nov 16, 10:43am
wrong.

motorboy2011, Nov 16, 10:43am
wrong with regards to the low clutch fluid and location of hicas ps fluid resiviour. NEVER put ps fluid the the resiviour in the boot. If ps steer fluid is low, the park brake light will illuminate.

cypherboy, Nov 16, 10:38pm
Ive seen HICAS faults where people have replaced the steering wheel with a aftermarket job and have either not used the correct Boss kit or have damaged the steering pos sensor on the column. That will throw up a HICAS lamp in the dash as well.