Car roof boxes.any advice?

chovik, Nov 15, 8:31am
Does anyone here use a car roof box/pod and can offer any advice or comment .ie what are the pros and cons between different models/designs. What features are the most useful and just how weather tight they are!
Many thanks

outbidyou2, Nov 15, 8:45am
attach them well my friend

msigg, Nov 15, 8:55am
Get the biggest one you can or its a waste of money, only get one if your going to use it alot.

franc123, Nov 15, 8:56am
Complete waste of time IMO, and bloody expensive considering they're only a couple of hunks of moulded plastic thats not much bigger than a suitcase. You can buy a small trailer for what some of them cost.

chovik, Nov 15, 9:12am
franc123.that actually makes some sense.but then you have to a) have some where to store the trailer and b) have a tow bar. But I can definitely see the practicalities in having a small trailer

johnf_456, Nov 15, 9:36am
Then wof and rego and maintenance on trailer and insurance.

franc123, Nov 15, 10:03am
Depends on what you want and can manage of course, just pointing out the fact that for the amount of storage space you get they don't seem to be good value for money. If the car already had a towbar I'd probably make from scratch or adapt one of those large galv or checkerplate tool chests to mount on the towbar like a cycle rack would, and fit up extra taillights if need be, far larger and easier to load and would have less negative effect on fuel economy too. Horses for courses.

nightboss, Nov 15, 10:41am
For: Great place to put fishing gear, skis, etc. Don't have the parking hassle of a trailer. Fairly easy to remove when not required. Roofracks useful for other loads eg; ladders. Good for Soprano's style nuisance removal.

Against: No good if you park in a garage.Increase drag increases fuel consumption. Might not be able to drive-thru at McD's. Not cheap.

r15, Nov 15, 11:22am
just buy a bigger car or carry less shiz

whqqsh, Nov 15, 4:37pm
funny watching ppl getting stuff out of the them especially on taller vehicles, probably should come with a ladder.Try reaching onto the middle of the roof of something like a ppl mover (Estima etc) then add a box on top.

splinter67, Nov 15, 6:37pm
they do great things for your fuel economy

johnf_456, Nov 16, 6:54am
So does a trailer