Motorcycle tyre advice

therafter1, Nov 24, 6:48am
I am due for a replacement set of tyres on a 98 1200 Bandit. I quite like the look of the new dual compound type tyres with harder compound centres and softer compound shoulders. My problem is that I am a rather heavy counter steerer and as a result I seem to munch out front tyres way before the rears, and worse, it seems to wear them into a V shaped profile which is a whisker disconcerting once the wear really sets in as it feels like you are losing the front end as you tip it into the corners, particularly at lower speeds. My concern is that with the softer shoulders on the dual compound tyres my riding style will actually accentuate the type of wear I am experiencing with my front tyres presently and be less cost effective in the long run than conventional single compound tyres.

The tyres current condition is in the links. The rear still has a little bit of life in it but I prefer to replace my tyres in matched pairs. The present tyres are Michelin Macadams, and while they have never let me down, I have never felt super confident on them either, and they don??

gunhand, Nov 24, 7:20am
Pilot road 2s.Good all rounders

sabbath-black, Nov 24, 7:28am
2nd the pilots

berg, Nov 24, 6:50pm
My personal preference, Conti Road Attacks. Run them on both our bikes.

kaymay88, Nov 25, 2:40am
pilot roads a third vote from me

kazbanz, Nov 25, 2:46am
Thereafter- sorry to hit you with boreing propeller head stuff but
Here goes

ignoreing all the different compounds etc Performance orientated tyres are desighned to two basic formats. Triangular and curved.
By that what Im saying is when you look at the worn profile of a race tyre -(extremely fast wear so easy to check) the tyre will look either round on the face or V shaped.
Its not a reflection on your riding at all.
Now with regards to going through 2 fronts to every rear tyre.
If you aren't experienceing any grip issues I'd specify one compound harder in your front tyre than you are currently using.I"m almost certain you are using a soft compound which from your description just is too soft for you.
Personally I prefer Metzler/Pirelli of the z3 med compound.Me series tyres. They are kinda an all things to all men tyre with the only issue being that the warmup time is longer than most.
gunny/sabath-Im not keen on the PR's meself because of their characteristics when down past 1/2 worn.--A bit snakey on acceleration and loose precision.
I must say I've found that with michellins since I can remember and it might be my riding style.

oliver6, Nov 25, 7:48am
That is very unusual to wear the fronts as fast as or faster than the rear. I think you should double check your pressures, and then critically look at your riding style, especially where and when you brake. I replaced the standard Michellins on my 04 Bandit with Shinkos, which were far superior, and then with Pilot Rd 2s, which were good on performance and wear. I got 14000km out of a set with commuting and some hard sports rides in between.
I also have a Hypermotard which had Bridgestone Battleaxes standard, which were great, especially in the wet, but chopped out in under 3000kms.
I now have Shinko Verges on that bike, and they stick like shit to a blanket.
I think you should look at changing your riding style ! that is hard wear on your front.

therafter1, Nov 25, 9:32pm
No worries with the prop head stuff Kaz, the idea of the thread was suggestions, and that is what you have done.

The 3 recommendations for the Pilot Road 2??

kazbanz, Nov 25, 11:21pm
Splains a lot mon--but still I'd be going one compound harder and see how you go