Towbar. Anyone no of anyone who has ever had a car 1300 1600 that has had a towbar and towed a lightweight caravan fine im looki

cassiusarmani, Dec 3, 6:49am
anyone no of anyone who has ever had a car 1300-1600 that has had a towbar and towed a lightweight caravan fine! im looking at a new car but like a little hatchback but worried it wont work. im liking a little mazda axela

thunderbolt, Dec 3, 6:55am
You need to consider how hard a small car will need to work , and also what will happen when a caravan starts pushing a light car around.

I would not recommend anything below 2 litre to tow a van, ideally a six cylinder, which can be pretty ecomnomical these days if driven carefully.

cassiusarmani, Dec 3, 6:56am
cool thanks, thats my dream little mazda 2 out of question.hmmmmm back to thinking

smac, Dec 3, 6:57am
What weight is the caravan!

thunderbolt, Dec 3, 7:00am
Mazda2! Thats more Demio than Axela

cassiusarmani, Dec 3, 7:06am
yeah it is more demio. the caravan is lightweight so not very heavy just a 15foot

xs1100, Dec 3, 7:41am
hahaha sorry you should not use anything that small to tow.its not so much the towing thats the problem more the stopping /handling

morrisjvan, Dec 3, 8:03am
really! back in the 50's and 60's all the little british cars had tiny underpowered motors, no power steering, and rubbish brakes , the caravans were heavier too, yet we seemed to manage o.k.

jmma, Dec 3, 8:15am
Seen an Austin A30on add on TV towing a caravan, Bacon add I think.

Trouble is back then, cars a bit heavier and life was a much slower pace, you could take your time. Now it's a rush to get anywhere (o:

xs1100, Dec 3, 8:28am
yep read above things have moved on that was 50 yrs ago and as i have been told even then not many people towed front wheel drive minis,morris 1100/1300

mm12345, Dec 3, 9:22am

morrisman1, Dec 3, 10:19am
Even though the caravan may be lightweight, the drag will still be plenty and probably too much for a small car

cassiusarmani, Dec 3, 6:24pm
That mini and caravan is so cute

nightboss, Dec 3, 6:31pm
Correct me if I am wrong but don't you need to have an approved towbar fitted to your car, if you make one up yourself it may not pass warrant of fitness. So one for a small car would not likely to be an approved "off the shelf" item as it is not engineered for towing.

smac, Dec 3, 8:13pm
Like I said.HOW HEAVY IS THE CARAVAN!

pnp, Dec 3, 8:19pm
And with a 15' caravan if you get a cross wind of any sort while it'll whip a small car round so easily. Even a large truck passing causes alot of turbulence. 2L absolute minimum with a van of any size & weight.

tazcsv, Dec 3, 8:41pm
Hatchback and caravan, that can only end well.

mrfxit, Dec 4, 12:55am
Followed a Mazda 2 . today .>>> NO way would I want to tow any ordinary domestic trailer over 1.5M x 2m with that car, Never mind a camper.

It's like using a std match box to tow a large weetbix box

sr2, Dec 4, 1:33am
an oldie but a goody; still my favourite small car vs caravan video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=fJJkjT7VB8k