Mitsi Canter Campervan water in the oil

rawill, Dec 5, 6:57pm
A 4DR50a engine, the van has been sitting for 4 years. I decided to get it going again, checked the oil, I filled it with water started it, moved it, about 100 meters, it was running fine. Turned it off, and started cleaning it up. Decided to start it again to discover the radiator was empty, I put in another 10 litres, checked the oil dipstick, and the "oil" was full to the top of the dipstick.

It seems to me that meansa crack in the block somewhere, maybe I didn't drain the coolant before I parked it up, I thought I had, Can't figure this out.

Looks like I will need a new engine, any helpful comments welcome.

kazbanz, Dec 5, 7:00pm
More likely something has corroded through.Given the VERY short time it was run for I'd Haul the head off first -You diddn't recently buy it did you!

rawill, Dec 5, 7:17pm
No I have owned it for 10 years, bought another van and parked this one up.

rawill, Dec 5, 7:19pm
Thank you, going to go hunting the net for foums on these old engines, but suggestions so far include a metal plate behind the water pump corroding, an internal frost plug corroding or (if the engine has sleeves) the seals dyring out and shrinking, hence letting the water through the bottom of the sleeve where it seals.

rawill, Dec 5, 7:21pm
And, the water disaapears so and so much of it, 10 litres!~! so quickly it seems unlikely to be a headgasket, also the engine runs nicely, started so quickly that seems to confirm I should be looking for something else.

chris_051, Dec 5, 11:03pm
Oil cooler.

rawill, Dec 5, 11:35pm
Thank you, No oil cooler. I can hear the water going through somewhere.

I took about 15 litres of water out of the sump.
Maybe it frosted!~! eek.

But wondering if there is a plate behind the waterpump that can rust out and let water in to the sump

rawill, Dec 6, 6:46am
It was a frost plug under the rockers that had popped out!~!