Importing car from USA what pitfalls ?

Page 1 / 2
bttrans, Dec 16, 5:45am
im looking at importing car ( chevy truck ) from USAwhatpitfallsam ilookingtofind ! also heardthatsize andweightplay a part in feesthat i will pay when it lands ! any help wouldbegoodormaybeyouwantsomethingbrought in as welland can chuck it inthebackhahah

intrade, Dec 16, 5:47am
first of all you wont be able to register it with steering on left- unless you convert it to rhd or import a exempted model

intrade, Dec 16, 5:48am
plus dont forget fronatl impact standard and euro 4 minimum emission now unless again its exepmted model

carlz05, Dec 16, 5:59am
Fraught with problems, just be careful and research.Most cars cannot go on the road, however over 25 years old can mostly come in exempt. Do lots of reasearch before committing.

neville48, Dec 16, 6:12am
Are you talking a truck or a pick-up. If its a pick-up and over 20 years old then ignore all the previous posts. if it is a truck and not over 20 years old then forget it.

brouser3, Dec 16, 6:17am
You need to check out whether it will attract customs duty.If it does you pay that as well as GST on Cost plus freight (plus duty if any)as well as any MPI costs eg fumigation if required etc. If it's the type of chevy ''truck'' I'm thinking of - it's something that falls between the cracks because it is such a unique type of vehicle and you may not be succesful in keeping it LHD (which would be such a shame for such a collectable model of vehicle) if you intend to comply it for road usage.You need to do some research.

xs1100, Dec 16, 6:29am
why not just look to japan heaps coming from there with the american stuff and cheaper to ship

matthew111, Dec 16, 6:45am
we do have trucks in NZ. Why bother

lookoutas, Dec 16, 7:02am
We need to know the colour.

tgray, Dec 16, 7:50am
Re the Mazda, he gives a very interesting answer indeed to the first question!

sw20, Dec 16, 8:45am
Dreaming that he wants more than $10k. You can get one that is already on the road for sub 10k.

corvette3, Dec 18, 8:24am
Hey there,Give John a call,He owns Trans America Shipping in Tauranga and is a great Guy to deal with.His number is 075526623 or 021599475
Hope this Helps you
Regards Pieter

monzaman, Dec 18, 11:54am
A car doesn't have to converted to RH drive if it is going to be kept more than four years,sisters 06 mustang for example,don't know if that goes for trucks/pickups.

mokaubach, Dec 18, 1:29pm
No it doesn't

fordkiwi27, Dec 18, 6:16pm
no nothing like that anymore! need to know what "truck" hes talking about.

chebry, Dec 18, 6:22pm
It wont be a real TRUCK just a pickup ute type toy truck huge range to choose from in the US try not to get a dunger model like a S10 or some other shitbox variety

lookoutas, Dec 18, 11:55pm
And that's like waiting for hell to freeze over!

bitsy_boffin, Dec 19, 12:37am
Hey, data plate rebuilds are good enough for Warbirds!

trader_84, Dec 19, 12:47am
If you are bringing back an old one . score yourself a series 3 Jaguar steering rack (LHD) just in case you decide that you want a newer axle type in front. Pitfalls . one you want to mitigate against is freight from there to here. It can vary by heaps. There are reasons for this with one being how many other cars are sharing the container your truck is sitting in. The more cars the cheaper it can work out as the cost is spread out over more customers but there is a limit. You need to dedicate some time making yourself aware of the different types of load configurations commonly used by freight forwarders/shippers. Pick wrongly and you could be subsidizing someones import freights costs.

kcf, Dec 19, 2:05am
Make sure you are up to play with the rules around Vehicle Exhaust Emissions and Steering Systems (Left Hand Drive) or you might import something uncompliable.

Work with an entry certifier, rather than asking questions on an internet message board if you want definitive answers.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 19, 2:20am
+1 Top Bloke.

corvette3, Dec 19, 8:08am
Yeap John is a bloody awesome guy.I bought an'89 C1500 pick up off hom and other motors and I have nothing but praise for him.

lookoutas, Dec 20, 4:48am
To answer the OP.

Until you tell us more details, you are the pitfall.
Best you forget it and let someone that knows what they're doing, bring it in for you.
It's not easy (which is good) Yanks are terrible to deal with, especially when they find out you're way down under where they've never heard of before. I had one on the phone, and as soon as he found out I was from NZ, he bluntly told me it had been sold.
They don't answer emails.

I was talking to one, and he didn't even know we had different seasons down here.

vjregal770, Dec 20, 7:11am
As I understand it.

If your Chevy pick-up is over 20 years old, it will not require RHD conversion.

It does not come under any LHD exemptions if it's under 20 years old. This ONLY applies to 2 door coupes/convertibles, with no more than 20,000 made in any one year.

It'd help if you told us the year of it.

vjregal770, Dec 20, 7:12am
I never had those sorts of problems. Most I dealt with by email or phone were very good to deal with.