Current number plate designation

Page 1 / 2
nathanmac, Dec 17, 8:50am
What letters do the latest plates have!

Also, can you still request a specific plate number when it comes up, or do you have to go through the Plates website!Just seems a bit excessive to pay $599 for a plate that will be issued for about 20 bux in the near future.

lynduh, Dec 17, 8:54am
Re registered my car nearly a month ago.
Ended up with the letters 'GPY'.

xpfairmont, Dec 17, 9:15am
Not sure about now days, but I know someone who done that in the '80. He got what ever model his Monaro is for the letters plus 350 as that s the motor it's got. Don't ask how he got away with only five numbers/letters, Not sure if it can be done now days!

lugee, Dec 17, 9:23am
They've already issued GAY, you're all good.

nathanmac, Dec 17, 9:31am
Haha, thanks for the heads up.Hoping to get something starting with H, hope it's not too far away.

studio1, Dec 17, 9:33am
Plates used to start with two letters HA, HB, HC, HD etc and from the number 1 through to 9999.
So MY350 is and was eminently possible. In fact I have seen that very plate (I think it's on a Mercedes Benz).
It's a bit different now, with the standard plates having three letters to start, but you can still get two letter plates as a personalised option.

nathanmac, Dec 17, 10:05am
Thanks for that, not what I was hoping to hear obviously - only knew of fellas doing this in the 80's, hadn't heard of it being done recently.Not sure I can bring myself to pay the $599 for 20 cents worth of tin.

esprit, Dec 17, 10:19am
This practice went out in the early '90s when personalised plates came in.

nathanmac, Dec 17, 11:02am
So I'm only 20 years behind the times then.

esprit, Dec 17, 11:26am
I think it became so popular, someone realised there was money to be made out of it and Personalised Plates was set up.

tigra, Dec 17, 7:19pm
Backa few years ago I was able to order 5 plates beginning JM 01 to Jm 05. Upset a few JM's who suddenly thought of it at the last minute

kazbanz, Dec 17, 10:20pm
GQF is sitting at our local station. Keep in mind theres only 999 of any letter combo then it goes to the next.
NO you can't request a plate number except through plates .co.nz.
I often get customers wanting to avoid certain numbers so I call the local stations for what number is up next-they are at times snarky about eventelling you what the next plate number in the box is. The official line is that the plates must be issued in order.
Why It matters I have never gotten to the bottom of

elect70, Dec 18, 2:54am
,GIT,GUTall thequeers will have claimed all theGAY & GEY onesH---HOT 69 , HOT 4U,-- Bet cant get HDTOr HRH

rsr72, Dec 18, 2:58am
P/P plates came out in the mid-eighties, or around '87.

rsr72, Dec 18, 3:00am
Yep, car dealers used to reserve sequential plates beginning with their model, ie BMW., from a post office that had been allocated those plates.

trader_84, Dec 18, 3:14am
HOE

bmwnz, Dec 18, 4:01am
We have an HRH down here, but its personalised.

eagles9999, Dec 18, 8:14am
Typical grumpy old men in desk jobs.

smac, Dec 18, 8:40am
Perhaps because them issuing one late in the range they have triggers the order for the next batch. If they did them out of order the boxes would be piling up.

Just a thought.

supernova2, Dec 18, 8:56am
About 5 years ago we picked up an import at turners and they issued the plates.The lady went through the box and pulled out a couple and asked which we would prefer.Didnt seem to be a problem at all.

elect70, Dec 19, 3:03am
I got new plates for mycharger from AAthey gave me the choice of any in the box they had .

kevymtnz, Dec 19, 3:41am
wonder if they will issue GIT

lookoutas, Dec 19, 5:03am
I remember the local Ford dealer hovered around the PO back in the 70's, waiting for GT351 to come due for his XB GT.

I've just given a friend a template to water-jet some number plate frames that will cover the first digit of my Californian plates. This will leave 3 letters & 3 numbers - and it will cost $599 for the plates, but that's alright.
Even put little notches in the back plate to expose the Yank stickers for authenticity.

And I know some A-hole cop can pick on me if they've over dosed on awkward pills.

gadgetman, Dec 19, 5:52am
I got FDT ### for my Sprinter . In my case FDT stands for Finnish Dude Traveling :)
I did not pay for it as the seller got it because he had a personalised plate.

phillip.weston, Dec 19, 6:38am
obviously a while ago! I got FDTxx too on my car I re-registered in 2009.