Is that really a car?

Page 1 / 2
doomy999, Dec 18, 4:18am

dave653, Dec 18, 4:42am
Crumple zones working well!

trogedon, Dec 18, 4:51am
What a terrible end to a family ;-(

jenny188, Dec 18, 7:31am
Sad.Doubly sad around Christmas time. Poor family friends and neighbors.

a.woodrow, Dec 18, 7:33am
Thats a sad story, I hope it was instantaneous, It would be terrible to think of one of the nippers in the back surviving the crash only to die afterwards due to no help.

the-lada-dude, Dec 18, 9:12pm
no two ways about it, SPEED kills,

smac, Dec 18, 9:14pm
No, lack of traction does. You have no idea at this stage what caused that.

skiff1, Dec 18, 9:32pm
so if they hit the tree at twenty the car would look the same! We don't know why the left the road, but we can be certain that the speed of the impact was what generated the energy required to kill them. K=1/2mv2

mopsy3, Dec 18, 9:35pm
I don't think it would take much to figure out that speed was a factor in causing this crash.

chook90, Dec 18, 10:13pm
Gee really! I suppose if you take that litterally you might argue that if the car wasn't moving then the accident would not have occurred - hence speed was the cause.

Reality check though, I know that bit of road exceptionally well having driven it four times a day for over a decade. It is heavily used by logging trucks day in and day out.get a week or so of fine weather then a shower or two and it is like a skating rink. Add to that appalling camber, bumps all over the show and it is easy to see how an accident can occur.

We know absolutely nothing about the condition of the car e.g. tyres, suspension, steering etc so to start spouting the anti speed message is both misguided and disrespectful.

Pretty hard to tell precisely what part of the vehicle actually took the primary impact or even what sort of vehicle it was from the pics I have seen but it is fair to say that for all the crumple zones in the world if the thing collided with anything other than the front it wasn never going to be a good result.

mrfxit, Dec 18, 11:01pm
nah, you're out ofline on this accident.
Tight bend
Excessive speed for THAT part of the road
TREE"S = unmovable object verses fast moving panel steel & glass box

No wonder it's disintegrated

it's all relative to.
That road
Speed when leaving the road
Distance from road to tree's
Size of tree's
Angle of impact
Strength of tin can

Seen plenty of cars/vans wrapped around tree's but it takes either a rotten/ badly repaired body or speed to pull it apart like that.

smac, Dec 18, 11:01pm
I personally know someone who left the road due to a diesel spill (see the note above about that being a logging road). He was initially charged with careless use, but eventually it was proven that speed was not a factor. ie. he was traveling at a perfectly reasonable speed for that road, in those conditions.

Any number of things could mean that the car was driving at a perfectly reasonable speed. To speculate that it was too fast for the conditions is just plain ignorant, not to mention completely pointless, other than giving yourself the opportunity to display some sort of weird superiority complex. An entire family is wiped out. We don't know why/how yet. You're achieving nothing constructive.

esprit, Dec 18, 11:22pm
If the driver fell asleep and drifted off the road at 80km/h, without braking or swerving, a flimsy car like an Integra (ironic name) could easily end up looking like that, especially after being hacked about by the fireys to get bodies out.

Speed not necessarily a factor here.

darryl, Dec 19, 2:44am
It was a Honda - could see the badge on what was left of the boot lid.

smac, Dec 19, 2:49am
Well yeees. A Honda Integra even, like the news story says.

mrfxit, Dec 19, 6:32am
Plenty of vehicles fall off the road for many different reasons & something like 99.5% don't get torn apart like that
Why is anybodys guess in this case but the point of impact appears to have been pretty harsh.

Yep any death in cases like this is, very bad but onlookers need to understand the mechanics of the accident as well as the emotional aspect.

mrfxit, Dec 19, 6:35am
Agreed with the proviso that we don't know the general condition of the vehicle for it to be torn apart like that.
Yes a big part of the damage we can see on the news will be from cutting the vehicle open to remove the bodys but that wouldn't normally involve ripping & twisting chassis rails & shredding panels

richardmayes, Dec 19, 7:14am
They cut the van apart to get the bodies out didn't they!

richardmayes, Dec 19, 7:16am
If you REALLY want to split hairs, it's usually an extremely rapid deceleration that kills.

Stay safe everyone.

grangies, Dec 19, 7:24am
What speed though!

I reckon at 90-100kph if the Honda Integra was airborne, and hit a solid tree then it could collapse like it did.

I think that this is going to be one of those death related accidents that the coroner may not be able to reach a full conclusion.

smac, Dec 19, 7:39am
That's the whole point - none of these guys seem to have any idea what a solid tree will do to a car at open road speed. SO fell asleep, another vehicle involved that hasn't come forward, drunk, too fast, diesel, lack of talent, who knows.but for some reason these people feel like they need to be seen to know.

fryan1962, Dec 19, 7:41am
I think that this is going to be one of those death related accidents that the coroner may not be able to reach a full conclusion.

grangies (49 )8:24 pm, Wed 19 Dec #20

Coroner won't have too experts here have worked it out

skiff1, Dec 19, 7:51am
I never said that speed caused this accident, however physics says speed was what killed them. The more speed you hit a tree with, the more energy you will have to disapate. At a some point you will reach an energy level that you can't sustain and death or injury will result. Maybe speed also caused the loss f control! But at this stage who knows!

skiff1, Dec 19, 7:53am
BTW "death related accidents" eh!

fordcrzy, Dec 19, 8:03am
those integras have a habit of blowing the bottom ball joint and launching the car off the road. i saw it first hand around maramarua many years ago.
the car wouldhave been cut into bits to remove the deceased. the car on the trailer would have been more intact at the scene.