Fibreglass repair on Boat

lara.in.ch-ch, Dec 24, 3:41am
I have a small pin hole on my boat. Does anyone know where you can buy a fibreglass repair kit to fix it at this time of the year ! and do you know if you have to use a marine paint on boats ! the boat is fibreglass over wood

berg, Dec 24, 3:55am
Burnsco and paint will depend on what's already there

elect70, Dec 24, 5:29am
F glassor dynel mat &resin & hardner, then2 packlaquer best

meathead_timaru, Dec 24, 7:22am
Pin hole. no. That's just the size of the leak, at least, at the moment. To get through a GoP hull it's going to be much more serious than a mere pinhole. And yes, of course you need a paint that is compatible with the epoxy resin.

lara.in.ch-ch, Dec 24, 7:31am
What do you mean by GoP hull !

meathead_timaru, Dec 24, 7:36am
Oh dear. Glass over Ply.

I would seriously urge you not to use it until it has been well inspected by someone with appropriate knowledge. If water is making its way through the glass and the ply, it's likely very rotten or damaged.

snoopy221, Dec 24, 7:44am
Adds.
Is the boat PERMANENTLY immersed in water for extended periods!
Or mostly in air on a trailer.
IfG. O. P. is foreign to ya then **Boat Pox** will be too.

meathead_timaru, Dec 24, 7:46am
My money is on a trailer and out in the rain.

lara.in.ch-ch, Dec 24, 8:45am
the boat is dry and on a trailer in dry storage. its never been out in the rain as long as ive owned it. the boats wood is in really good nick and isnt showing any signs of rot or distressed wood

meathead_timaru, Dec 24, 10:01am
Tried tapping it with a screwdriver handle to see if it makes a dull thud or a crisp tap!

Oh, and how you store it doesn't alter how the previous owners stored it.

haventrader, Dec 25, 1:07am
Lara- you need to establish what is causing the leak - is it a through-hull fitting! meathead is right, if it is a leak, a pin-hole is the least of your worries. It will be rotten all around the leak. It seems you don;t have too much experience with these things, so I'd suggest you get in a surveyor, boat-builder or mate who knows what to look for. Merely putting some fibreglass in place will not solve the problem. Do it right and prevent further rot and issues later on. Good luck with that.

jenny188, Dec 25, 1:51am
Answer to first question, most Hardwares have fiberglass repair kits with 2 pot resin and cloth. Local Hammer hardware here has, so probably most others. Early ply or glass over ply boats CAN suffer from layer separation. First marine (or pre- marine) glues weren't that strong and de-laminate, so you end up with thin layers of single ply , not bonded multi layers so very weak. There is also Dry Rot and Wet Rot. How far can you push the tip of a screwdriver into the ply! Compare it to the other side of the boat.Is the leak close to a seam or joint!. it may (if sound) be an option to Glass both the outside and inside of the hull. Good boating

elect70, Dec 25, 2:57am
Speaking of delaminatingdipstick mate bough20 ft GOP withoutinspection, it had freshanti foul on bottom . First trip&when got it homewater was dripping out of the hull- 4 days later still doing it .Boat yardhad toremove cabin put in cradlelet it dry for 3 months& reglass thebottom$12glater .Reckon would have been better to take the200 johnson of fstriphull & dump it , but boat yard wouldnt give him a quote.sojust let them go ahead