My 1998 Corolla (very low km) is squealing at me

biggal, Dec 31, 12:26am
The question is why!
Clue 1;Whenever the motor is turned off, the motor goes peep as it stops running.
Clue 2; When the motor is idling, it can start squealing loudly which stops when the car is driven away.
Clue 3:The squealing only started from when I changed the oil and filter, something I've been doing for many years. The filter was a RycoZ386
which the Cheap Auto man assured me with hand on heart was the correct filter for my Corolla but I had my doubts when I had trouble engaging the
filter/engine block threads. It screwed up seemingly ok eventually. Then I noticed the old discarded filter was a Ryco Z432.
Maybe someone has a comparison list handy and can tell me the correct fliter for my car. Reasons for the squealng would be very welcome tooTIA

intrade, Dec 31, 12:30am
probably a worn fanbelt . my corolla also did that and still has a wee problem slipping have to tighten it a bit more.
Once it slipped for longer then the ribbelts will be worn and need replacing as tightening wont do mutch more then destroy bearings .

intrade, Dec 31, 12:35am

meathead_timaru, Dec 31, 12:38am
Z432 is not listed for any '98 Corolla. The Z386 has the same thread, just 10mm shorter body and 1mm smaller seal diameter.
http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/part/part/Z432 http://www.rycofilters.com.au/catalogue/part/part/Z386

You haven't said where the squeal is specifically coming from nor mentioned any steps you've taken to identify that. So I'm going to say it's just a worn accessory belt.

directorylist, Dec 31, 12:40am
from memory i think the filters are interchangable. The 432 i think is slightly longer!

gadgit3, Dec 31, 12:53am
432, 386 and 191a will all work fine an a 4A corolla

kazbanz, Dec 31, 3:38am
biggal--I agree totally with intrade on this one. new belt should fix the problem. As a diagnostic aid and temp fix Id squirt beltgrip onto the belt.If the noise goes away you have found the problem

chebry, Dec 31, 4:48am
Loose accesory belt worn harmonic balancer idler bearing about to quit, lots of stuff to squeal if it gets the chance

biggal, Dec 31, 6:04am
Thanks all for the helpful info but I am mystified why the squealstared as soon as the oil/filterwas changed. A belt was my first thought and I sprayed meths on the belt area but no effect on the squeal.

dunedin_moto, Dec 31, 6:13am
Oil may have leaked somewhere it doesnt need to be, possible not but 100%.
Most likely just coincedence.
Spray bottle of water handy, get someone to start the car while you have your head under the bonnet so you can locate the noise.
If spraying water on the offending belt stops the noise, youre probably just looking at a new belt or tension may be out.