Suzuki king quad not charging

gavin.g, Jan 4, 1:52am
hi guys I have an old suzuki king quad 4wd pos mid to late 90s. At the moment its not charging seems to run fine but does not charge the battery. I was looking for the voltage rectifier but dont know what it looks like or where to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

daryl14, Jan 4, 5:18am

mechnificent, Jan 4, 5:42am
At the front under the bodywork. They have several push together connectors that can get corroded. there is a fuse in the line too.

gavin.g, Jan 4, 11:58pm
thanks guys have got the rectifier now next question any idea how to test it!

skin1235, Jan 5, 8:39am
you could have up to 40v on the input side with 1/2 that on the output side, ie 20v, and some stators will put out up to 130v
all the rectifier does is convert ac to dc regardless of the voltage involved, naturally the larger voltages require a larger rectifier ( and greater heat sink )
there will also be a regulator built in to the system, that is what keeps the voltage down to acceptable for the battery, fully charged it should read approx 14.4v, with all electrics running ( indicators, lights etc) the battery V should be about 12.6 or up to 14 depending on the amp rate of the stator ( which is basically an alternator and come in different rates for different machines - common as muck mitsi's use 70 amp alts, honda's often use 95 amp, brits used the normal lucas 35 amps for years)

skin1235, Jan 5, 8:45am
one way to tell if the rectifier is working is check the battery V with the meggy meter set on DC, it should as above be in the region of 12v to 15v, then check it on AC, it should not give a reading - if it does the rectifier is not working
you can also hold the wire coming out of the rectifier and touch an earth, even at 40v ac you will feela tingle, at 80vAC you will let it go quick, at 110v you may feel you need to call a doc to get your heart back into rhythm again - but it will pass - or not, lol, gives you quite a scare and you will survive to know not to grab those wires again

mechnificent, Jan 5, 10:51am
All the suzuki quads I've worked on have had a combined rectifier/regulator. Two wires(sometimes three) coming in from the generator in the motor, two coming out, one of which goes straight to earth close by, and another that goes off through a push together connector and short wire, then a fuse, then into the battery. There should be about 24 volts alternating going in to the regulator when everything is connected , and the 14.5 coming out. Apart from bad earths and bad connections in the power wires going to the battery I've never seen one give trouble though. those regulator/rectifiers are bloody tough ones.