Cam belt in my honda

Page 2 / 2
bryshaw, Jan 19, 10:36am
Just as a matter of interest I wonder what percentage of replaced belts are found to be faulty. I have had 3 replaced on different vehicles at 100k and they were in good condition.

pollymay, Jan 19, 11:27am
The waterpump is like $40 and worth doing. Putting a new belt on and old pump has been a cause for failure many times for me. I just don't even bother anymore if I'm not going to do the pump as well.

Doesn't matter what you think "good condition" is. They're not, they microcrack at the base of the teeth then strip sometimes. I can tell you from some swearing and cursing experience it doesn't matter a damn what the belt looks like. It's all about the age and km's. Replace it or face a costly problem.

It will also do damage at any speed it breaks on hondas; interference, ask me how I know. The only thing you can probably skip on is the idler pulleys and such EXCEPT the autotensioner for the belt because they often collapse causing catastrophic engine failure, I've collapsed 2 myself and the belt instantly flicks off when they do because it holds the tension on it to turn the cams. Especially the H22a, I believe the F20B may be similar but don't quote me on that.

I've spent more time that I'd care to have on these motors and cars, IMO they're temperamental about timing belts being right. My 2 cents

lugee, Jan 19, 1:09pm
Its a ass-cover thing. They probably design and test the belts for 200,000km or more, and just say 100k to account for extreme conditions and small belt defects.

pollymay, Jan 19, 1:19pm
Seen one fail at 8 years old and 130,000 kms. Bent the valves, full head off job. It does happen, belts snapping is not that uncommon I've found.

mugenb20b, Jan 19, 6:57pm
I've seen belts fail before they were due. I just replaced the cambelts on my Odyssey which have covered 98 000kms. They still looked very good, and could easily read the writing on them. The water pump and tensioners were like new (both original and done 200k) But, why take a gamble for a sake of $200 worth of parts!

chebry, Jan 19, 7:02pm
Have you actually seen the results from a broken cambelt! Yeah didnt think so. Your advice is worthless, dry up and blow away

carkitter, Jan 20, 7:21am
If you want the belt to last on a Honda, fix the oil leaks that have been neglected, especially from the rocker cover gasket.

pollymay, Jan 20, 11:15am
Nope, the way to get it to last is to replace it. Belt was dry

chebry, Jan 20, 12:00pm
You are nearly right though not in context. The first production engine to use a belt driven OHC was a Pontiac 6 The belts were developed for that engine were good for 200,000 miles but those were heavily reinforced and designed to last the life of the engine. The modern cambelt is only designed for 100k KMs and if you are lucky they last that long often not however replacing a cambelt is easy and the belts are cheap

luckyluke02, Jan 20, 6:16pm
Just get it replaced asap.

Engine at idle 800 rpm say .how many revolutions from the belt breaking till the engine stops turning! As someone said one is enough to bend valves and damage pistons.

I had my ducati front belt break at 12000 km (10 yrs old) bent 3 valves.was doing 100km/hr got off light at $2500

Age is the concern as much as km