What could be wrong with this car?

Page 1 / 2
breandme, Jan 12, 6:00am
93 evo 1 lancer, lastnight i was driving, check engine light comes on car still drives fine so i turn off then go to turn on again and now car will nothold idle for more than about 5-8 seconds then just stalls. Idles real rough if u put your foot down it ither almost dies or picks up revs running like crap then stalls could this be crank angle senser! ive replaced all coils and cleaned afm but still the same.

breandme, Jan 12, 6:03am
I also pulled crank senser out seems to look fine and if you turn it the fuel pump turns on and off but even if it looked fine and engages fuel pump could it still be stuffed!

wellyguynz, Jan 12, 7:06am
Hmmm its a mid 90's mitsi thats whats wrong with it, Honestly i will never buy another mitsi again

breandme, Jan 12, 7:23am
I know. sersiouly thnkn about selln once fixed!

mugenb20b, Jan 12, 7:25am
Start off by checking your air intake hose (between the AFM and throttle body) for cracks / splits to start with and clean out the throttle body with some carb cleaner. Check all vacuum hoses too.

llortmt, Jan 12, 7:44am
As above I'd start by looking for air leaks then testing or swapping AFM.

amie10, Jan 12, 8:26am
I would put my $$ on AFM.

shinra, Jan 12, 8:58am
pull CEL code with paper clip instead of throwing parts and money at it

breandme, Jan 12, 9:04am
have cleand afm but made no dif it drove last night thats when check engine light came on then i turned it off and it did its weird thing so i waited 10 min and it started ok. drove all the way home running ok check eng lite still on, now today will only start then just die 5 sec after. ill have another look over hoses but it wouldnt have boosted prop if it had leaks/cracks tho. so mayb afm! mmm

steve-007, Jan 13, 8:21am
ECU

pete_iam, Jan 13, 8:30am
those shitters have any fault codes stored!

phillip.weston, Jan 14, 6:32am
find out what fault codes are stored and then go from there. You don't use a paper clip, you use a 12V LED or a low power piezo buzzer on the diagnostic pin and ground on the diagnostics connector. AFMs rarely fail on an Evo or most Mitsubishis due to the simple nature and lack of moving parts - it's usually Nissans and Subarus with hot wire AFMs which give trouble.

I would say the ECU has somehow reset itself and the idle stepper motor has returned to the default position and the throttle body is clogged up with muck around the edges of the throttle which is blocking air flow therefore lowering the idle speed - the ECU accounts for this by gradually adjusting up the idle stepper motor (until it maxes out) and then remembers its position setting to use as a base point. Resetting the ECU resets that base point.

I would also look at the ECU itself, its at the age where the capacitors inside will be leaking and cause all sorts of issues.

studio1, Jan 14, 6:35am
Those three diamonds on the front is what's wrong with it.

beast9, Jan 14, 6:45am
ecu is the most common in all mitsi have doin a few of them

fordcrzy, Jan 14, 7:51am
what did you "clean" the afm with.you cant just spray some crc in there. you will contaminate it andruin it permanently

breandme, Jan 15, 6:01am
with maf cleaner

breandme, Jan 15, 6:08am
Car 2 weeks ago used to bog down an feel like it was running on 2. then for the last week its run great. then check eng lite came on- car still driving fine. but i turn off hopeing it will just clear the light. now car will start idles for 5-9 seconds like crap sounding like only running on two. if u give it gas rpm will go up then still dies. Do you think crank angle sensor could be at fault ! car 2 weeks ago was knocking when it would drive rough sometimes. but knock was awlays there. then went away. now i have starting issue

breandme, Jan 15, 6:12am
sorry i mean cam angle sensor.

breandme, Jan 15, 6:21am
ive got a 4g63t RVR computer but would that de-tune it! if it was to work.

shinra, Jan 15, 10:10am
why dont u do what phillip.weston said and diagnose the problem urself. the cars ECU will be able to tell u whats wrong better than a bunch of people on the internet who probably dont know jack anyway

jmma, Jan 15, 10:18am
I know Jack, lives down the road from me (o:

shinra, Jan 15, 10:21am
yea but hes a bit full of s**t isnt he

jmma, Jan 15, 10:23am
That's the one, you know him to (o:

breandme, Jan 16, 5:37am
I need to be able to drive the car or it to actualy hold idle for it to do that. It will not hold idle for more than 5ish seconds not even with foot up it.

phillip.weston, Jan 17, 3:38am
Check. The. God. Damned. Fault. Codes. Stored. On. The. Freaking. ECU.

Then you will know where to start looking!