Speakers on rear parcel shelf 'structural damage'

Page 1 / 2
tgray, Jan 25, 1:18am
Just had an AA check on my car and the AA has said they believe it might have structural damage, because speakers have been screwed into the rear parcel shelf.
The rear parcel shelf is made of flexible hardboard, and there are 2 tiny screws holding each speaker in place.
It has just received a brand new WOF, but the AA says it may have been issued in error.
Structural damage!
This is the same guy who said my last car had a stiff rear vision mirror and noted it in writing on the report!
I think a bit of staff training is required at the AA.

daryl14, Jan 25, 1:21am
You went to an insurance company to get a warrant of fitness! Why!Heh heh.

rsr72, Jan 25, 1:30am
The AA is historically there to help the motorist,
not to sabotage him.

lugee, Jan 25, 1:32am
Did they also list the stone chip on the bonnet as structural damage!

smac, Jan 25, 1:40am
It's a hatchback!

theram1, Jan 25, 1:42am
I would not think hardboard was part of the structure, unless you own a Flint mobile.

nightsky1, Jan 25, 1:43am
A lot of "Car enthusiasts" cut big holes or remove the rear parcel tray for speakers.

A LOT of R & D went into designing that car (Millons of dollars) and when some boof head comes along with a tin snipper or hacksaw and makes them big holes then hell yes- he has effected the crash / crumple dynamics big time.

The truth is your car is now worthless, non insurable shouldn't pass a WOF and won't do what it was designed to do in a crash.

The flexible rear "Hardboard" parcel tray that has been put in has F#@%ed the car.

only a matter of time before you get the big pink sticker.

as a matter of interest who did the mod's - cause they shouldn't have

elect70, Jan 25, 1:54am
must be an old carthese days it has steelaccrossit,& its structural .If thehard board isorigonalthen no problem .^^^ you missed out thewink

jkm, Jan 25, 1:55am
Work for AA!

A lot of vehicles have precut holes for speakers that you can just knock out. Then the composite board, hardboard you cut a hole in to fit the speaker. So for some vehicles not as issue at all.

smac, Jan 25, 1:57am
Yeah they do. You think this is one of those!

kingfisher21, Jan 25, 3:49am
Read the post properly before mouthing off, it will just have a hardboard parcel shelf, if the steel hasn't been cut in any way the AA in this case are being a bunch of twats.

tgray, Jan 25, 3:50am
The hardboard is the factory one. No modifications.
2 small screws put in to hold rear speakers.

smac, Jan 25, 3:57am
As above, is it a hatch! Otherwise, what sedan has a factory hardboard shelf!

skiff1, Jan 25, 4:01am
wow, nice rant! Any one with any degree of reading comprehension could grasp that the hardboard is the factory fitted article, put there to allow the owner to install speakers in the manner described.

clangie, Jan 25, 4:11am
what a pullhard this guy is,obviously cant read properly. its a HATCHBACK. these cars have a HARDBOARD or similar lid that hooks to the boot and hides the boot contents. when you lift the boot,the lid lifts up to load the boot. these commonly have speakers mounted in them. they are NOTa wof issue and if you wanted to, you could bin it. clearly the guy who inspected the car is a pullhard aswell lol

tgray, Jan 25, 4:14am
Sorry, should have been more clear.
its a 1996 primera sedan.
When I say 'hardboard', I think you know what I mean. It's just that factory rear parcel shelf, covered in cloth (you give it a push and it flexes.

austingtir, Jan 25, 4:28am
Over a few years you figure out which places and inspectors in particular to avoid.Some of them are just ridiculous with some of the rubbish they pull out of their ass.I had one fail me on a modified intake once (airbox had a couple of holes drilled init underneath)I can tell you he got an earful before I left.

freddie2711, Jan 25, 4:31am

austingtir, Jan 25, 4:35am
Well done, the fact that someone even had to write that page just shows how retarded things are becoming.How ridiculous.Where has the common sense gone in the world!

beast9, Jan 25, 5:08am
some one had cut bigger holes in my car and the aa passed it providing it wasnt within 2 inchs of a structural point and that i obtain a letter from a panel beater saying that it was fine

a18a, Jan 25, 7:08am
haha hook line and sinker.

dr.doolittle, Jan 25, 7:20am
Yeah But! Wot if you woz to slow down & said 'speakers' (slash) "BOOM BOXES" woz to let go's & slap you in da head!

austingtir, Jan 25, 7:21am
Thats a totally different scenario and pretty obvious that it would be an issue.

jmma, Jan 25, 7:22am
Ah, music to my ears (o:

kazbanz, Jan 26, 8:49am
Toby--from your first post I agree with you. But your qualifying post has me now going yea maybee.
Its NOT the two lil screws,hacking the hardboard or the speakers themselves that are the issue.
Its the cutting away of the steel underneath I'd be concerned with.
If they are like 6 inch speakers over factory holes in the steel I'd say mr AA man has it wrong.
10 inch speakers with holes hacked into the METALbracing I'd be thinking there may be an issue