Trailer Wiring

scoobeey, Jan 30, 9:55am
Have a prob with wiring . All works fine independantlybut when i put lights and indicator on main lights indicate slightly. Checked the earths all seem good . any ideas :)

zak1998, Jan 30, 9:58am
They new lights or used

morrisman1, Jan 30, 9:59am
is it earthed back to the car!

nightboss, Jan 30, 10:00am
It will be how the earth wire is connected within each light assembly, or earth connection at trailer plug.

scoobeey, Jan 30, 10:03am
ok ta will check .has new trailer plug so all good there

scoobeey, Jan 30, 10:07am
funny thing is a mth ago was doin same and wires were apart so joined up was all good and went to check for wof today and same prob again , gremlins lol

nightboss, Jan 30, 10:18am
I had such a string of problems with thesubmersible lights on the boat trailer that I changed them for LED sealed set 18 months ago. Perfect.

Last WOF my 6x4 general purpose trailer had similar issues with the earthing as described above, I fixed it but if it keeps on happening I will LED that too.

scoobeey, Jan 30, 10:23am
might be an idea , so nightboss thanx for the advice will check the earth again after work tom

trader_84, Jan 30, 7:43pm
Earth through the draw bar . uses less wire, is simpler, and it sh1ts the AVI's on here that it works.

kamitchell, Jan 30, 7:48pm
Could find the earth connection on the car could be faulty. depending on how it is joined could be a bad splice connector (I hate those things) bad crimp or rusty if a ring lug is bolted to the earth. Same goes for the trailer as well.
LED Lights are a good option but unless the earths are ok you may still have problems

scoobeey, Jan 31, 10:08am
ran new earth wires still same prob lol main light flashes very slightly with indicator. new trailer plug as old one was dodgy .

jmma, Jan 31, 10:16am
Did you try kicking it (o:

bigfatmat1, Jan 31, 10:54am
Earth wire to light

skin1235, Jan 31, 8:14pm
+1

a lot of trailer lights don't use a wired earth - they earth back through one of the mount bolts
if you have a spare wire in the loom then attach one to that mount bolt thus a wired earth back to the plug, then create a really good earth from the car socket to chassis
if no spare wire, remove the lights, cleanup the mount bolt chassis point with a grinder , and the other side which will have the nut on it - fit a star washer between the nut and the chassis

skin1235, Jan 31, 8:18pm
if you suspect the main earth, simply clip a jumper lead from the trailer chassis to the car chassis - the tow loops are a good place to clip the lead
if the problem is solved you need to recheck the original earth, at trailer chassis, in the plug, in the socket, and to the chassis of the car any or all of those 4 will give issues
also check the pins in the plug are actually tight when inserted, they're split and can be opened a little with a small knife - check they're clean in the socket too ( car end)

bigfatmat1, Jan 31, 8:45pm
I actually meant physical size of earth wire to small as Cheap 5 cores uses .5mm cable and the earth is the same size the time this goes from the car through the plugs to the back of trailer there is alot of vd and not enough return when one or more lights are on. Some people have some funny ideas about wiring trailers