Vtnz fail car wof.

Page 1 / 2
xs1100, Feb 6, 8:42am
for seatbelt frayed= fine fixed no problem,exhaust leak at manifold fine fix and put 2 gaskets on= wife takes car back down definatley no leak around manifold.told fail still cabt find any leak but can HEAR one wife explains manifolds been off all gaskets replaced and tightened down and guy goes yes thats fine but i can hear a leak dont no were from but i can hear 1.sounds like off to vtnz sat morning didnt think the relied on hearing thought it was a visual inspection

skull, Feb 6, 8:49am
Find the leak then whether it be in the manifold or elsewhere. You under the hood or under the car and a hand over the tail pipe should reveal where it really is.

ml6989, Feb 6, 9:01am
Poster #1, Are you saying that they can not fail a noisy wheel bearing because they can't actually see it! Your logic, in my opinion, is somewhat flawed.

gammelvind, Feb 6, 9:03am
If everything was a visual inspection they wouldn't be able to feel the vibration from a worn wheel bearing.
They obviously can hear a leak, it's your job to find and fix.

xs1100, Feb 6, 9:08am
wife asked were abouts leak was from told "dont know but can hear it" they agreed not from round manifold but that was were inital fail was from so surely if they have reinspected they must know were its from

mrfxit, Feb 6, 9:29am
RAG . don't forget to use a thick rag when blocking of the tail pipe for a pressure test.
Gets hot AND wet in a hurry on some cars

rEtyre, Feb 6, 9:41am
By law they must pass your car if you have fixed all the things theyfailed you on. They can not then fail you on something else they find during the recheck. Get in touch with LTSAand make a complaint. VTNZ are useless at WOF inspections and break the rules all the time.

a.woodrow, Feb 6, 9:44am
Lol. completely wrong. the wof only goes on when it's up to wof standard. if something else crops up between inspection and recheck they don't have to pass it.

But by all means, point me to the law you are referring to.!

cowlover, Feb 6, 9:59am
Wrong.Must be up to standard to obtain the sticker.A recheck is a recheck not just a check of failed itemsHowever in practice thats what happens but in your case you still have a leak so you cant get a pass.

franc123, Feb 6, 10:18am
The inspector must have had an idea of where it was coming from, its not acceptable to just say its got an exhaust leak without stating where from. I assume the manifold was checked for cracks when it was off! It may be a case of running it with any shielding removed to pinpoint it. Also what sort of vehicle!

sandypheet, Feb 6, 5:36pm
Surely the mechanic that did the job checked the whole system once the job was done.

xs1100, Feb 6, 5:39pm
hahaha cheers stevo.cars just a old pathfinder z24 used for towing boat and dog wagon so no exhaust covers or anything if theres still a leak fine but my main point is be a bit more specific

daryl14, Feb 6, 8:24pm
My car failed at VTNZ on a small exhaust hole. Took it to Pitstop, welded up hole - yep all good now (with hand over exhaust). Went back for recheck - nope still leaking.

Go back to Pit Stop - oh yeah whole seam of pipe between the two mufflers rusted out at top where you cant see it - $$$ to re-fix please.
No thanks Pit stop. I'm going to a real muffler shop.

It happens I guess.

cypherboy, Feb 7, 5:42am
Those KA24 Exhaust manifolds are very bad for cracking in the center. Has it got a shield bolted over it!, get that off and you might see a hairline crack

xs1100, Feb 7, 7:31am
naw its a z24 and i replaced the gaskets myself and cant not feel anysort of leak around manifold or front pipe

saki, Feb 7, 7:23pm
I owned an exhaust shop for some years and what I did for those elusive exhaust leaks was to get about 500mm of plastic hose about 5mm hole dia and use it like a stethoscope move slowly over the joins etc, you wont miss the sound .

supernova2, Feb 7, 10:16pm
One advantage ( well probably the only one) about VTNZ is that you can get your recheck at any VTNZ branch.Try another and see how you go.

eagles9999, Feb 8, 1:48am
My old Nissan Avenir gopher wagon got failed once because of a sound that the VTNZ guy said "must be an exhaust leak" turned out to be the windscreen wiper bottle vibrating (old hardened plastic and not full enough to weigh it down) So a quick - stuff a rag behind it and passed. LOL

xs1100, Feb 8, 6:19am
cheers saki

thewomble1, Feb 8, 11:18am
If the repairs not up to WOF standard they will fail you again.

carclan, Feb 8, 5:48pm
Appart from this fact, they are on a cusade to fail as many vehicles as possible to reinforce their position on six monthly warrent of fitness

splinter67, Feb 8, 9:19pm
Hang on we have a avi on here come on johnf whats the go youd know about this as this is what you do or is it like your camaro lol

chrisdean007, Feb 9, 11:03am
they did the same to my mother

couldn't actually find the fault they imagined it had

took car to another garage

nothing was wrong with car

if they can't locate a fault or diagnose the problem they have to pass the car

vtnz are terrible
perhaps it is a conspiracy to fail cars of a certain age to boost sales

that would align well with new wof regulations

i would never go the vtnz

imagine it

something wrong still but we can't find it

pathetic

hoonin, Feb 9, 7:21pm
your first problem is you went to VTNZ, second wof regs state inspector doesnt have to exactly pin point where every single issue is otherwise a wof would take 2 hours. For example car fails on powersteering leak, that is what the inspector writes on the fail sheet, not left hand inner powersteering rack seal is worn more than manufactures specifications thus causing fluid to leak.
its up to the Mechanic to pin point and fix the issues. Thats what you pay them for.

kateley, Feb 9, 7:32pm
VTNZ failed my car because the airbag warning light wasn't working.
Turned out that my car doesn't have an airbag warning light!
Never went back to VTNZ again!