Cheap Camchain fix?

superfreek, Feb 3, 11:00pm
Hi there,

I've got an Old CBX 750. And the cam chain is getting a tad noisy now and either needs tightening or replacement. Honda said I shouldn't push it any further past 5000k more.

The thing is, I'm only going to have it for another 1.5k-2k max.
Is there a temporary "fix" for it for my own piece of mind!

Cheers.

desmodave, Feb 3, 11:50pm
So has a Honda work shop seen the bike !. I presume the auto cam chain tensioner has reached the end of its adjustment and is due for replacement along with the cam chain . Fix it, or ride it your choice

kazbanz, Feb 3, 11:54pm
The camchains getting noisy because the tensioner is at the end of its range of adjustment or one tensioner has busted or its a manual tensioner has been fitted.
If the latter then release the tensioner and let it take up the slack.
If its broken then stop riding the bike.
If its got an auto tensioner then you MIGHT be able to get a bit more out of it by manually pushing the tensioner out

kazbanz, Feb 3, 11:55pm
dave--diddn't the cbx have a manual kit fitted sometimes to avoid tensioner float!

superfreek, Feb 4, 12:09am
Yup I took it to Honda, and they confirmed what it was and said the above. And quoted up to $800 to fix it - half the value of the bike and I'm only here till the end of next month. So it's difficult to justify.

So does anyone know if it's Manual or Auto ajusted! 87' CBX750.
Cheers.

desmodave, Feb 4, 12:39am
No idea Kaz, ( google will know) my climb up the Honda ladder stopped with a 1970 something CB350 twin around 30 years ago.

kazbanz, Feb 4, 12:46am
dave/superfreek. sorry the manual conversion was a done in NZ thing.
Superfreek $800 to replace a camchain sounds pretty expensive to me.
Why not call a local mechanic and get a price just to replace the chain.Get a split chain
Its kinda ripping off the new owner if the hardening has gone from the tensioner face but at least it wont go bang.

superfreek, Feb 4, 3:47am
Okay cheers will do. So do I just ask for the chain only to replaced! I'll call around tomorrow but any rough ideas what I should be expecting!

supernova2, Feb 4, 3:56am
Depending on price of chain I'm guessing $150ish.

muzz67, Feb 6, 6:34am
Those chains are in the centre of the engine, right!. To replace without splitting the engine, you push a chainpin out, join the new chain and wind it through,, thenjoin the ends of the new chain together. The tensioners will last many thou more.