Paint Hardener

fieldmaster, Feb 10, 7:11am
Am spray painting some machinery and have a couple of smaller jobs to with enamel paint. Am wanting to add a paint hardener. Can't remember for the life of me what it is called. Any ideas! Thanks.

gammelvind, Feb 10, 7:14am
Enamel activator, use at 5 to 8%.Depending on brand of enamel.

marcos1, Feb 10, 7:16am
And an air feed respirator.

fieldmaster, Feb 10, 7:20am
Thanks. Yes, I am using a respirator.

grangies, Feb 10, 7:30am
Are you sure you really need it in this hot NZ summer we are having!

On small panels I guess it will help to spray it quickly. Just be aware that you cannot leave it too long between coats, especially if direct hot sunlight is beaming onto it.

Once the activator kicks in, you can't put any more coats on it until it is fully dry. Other wise it will react with the fresh paint coming out of the gun.

fieldmaster, Feb 10, 7:49am
Yes, I realise that. I am painting a vintage tractor in the workshop and wanting the paint to adhere to the pedals and footplates etc to save wear later on. Thanks.

grangies, Feb 10, 7:57am
Cool. In that case I'd put 3 good activated wet coats on, within an hour of all 3.

Like 20 minutes in between each coat.

fieldmaster, Feb 10, 8:29am
Thanks grangies for the info.

singing1, Feb 10, 9:28am
In my day it was called 93plus.bloody long time ago

therafter1, Feb 11, 12:19am
It sure was, we must be from a similar era. I worked for dulux when they were making and selling the stuff. My father in law was a professional painter with his own business and used two pack products (including 93plus) of varying descriptions daily and ignored the clear directions on the tin and was repeatedly told that most of them contained isocyanate and to heed the warnings and use a clean air respirator system or a good quality organic respirator and did not, he has been suffering the consequences ever since.

They are good products and do what they do well. Follow the instructions to the letter, and always use a respirator fitted with organic filters or use a clean air respirator system.

The stuff may not get you straight away, but it will get you.

kenw1, Feb 11, 7:35am
Terabim (sp) for enamel paint

neville48, Feb 11, 8:49am
No carbon filters there aye, Bet he just used a dirty Bandana and wet it up if the fumes got too bad huh !

chicos3, Feb 12, 8:58am
Ha, we used to put can of enamel ( animal paint) in pot of hot water before spraying. Helped it flow out real good. Before 93 plus came out.
That was not long after the srk was built. Me I did my time at L S Laycock an co in chc ch. Remember Acran!.