Austin 550 fg 3 ton tipper truck (approx 1960)

steptoe72, Feb 12, 10:16am
Thinking of selling it, has been dry stored for years. cleaned out fuel line's, cleaned up the spark plugs and she fired straight up, runs mint 80lbs in all cly's on a comp test . 6 cly petrol. anyone know of clubs or something for these old timmers. Thanks.

sas777, Feb 12, 10:25am
Is the FG the one with the curved lower windows ahead of the doors! These were very popular in Pomland when I was young, made great grocer's delivery trucks or start/stop vehicles in the suburbs. Can't recall heavier versions though.
Must be some vintage truck clubs around to help with parts.

sas777, Feb 12, 10:35am

steptoe72, Feb 12, 10:41am
Yes, doors are on a angle at the back of cab,. Most pic's I have seen on the net of them in the UK are flat decks. this is factory tipper, has PTO off the side of the gearbox.Plan tomorrow to see if tipper still works, as engine runs now.

sas777, Feb 12, 10:54am
Cool, it's good that so many of the older trucks have survived in NZ. Glad that you dry stored it, now it should last a lot longer.

The truck I was thinking about maybe had sliding doors, don't know but will google up a few pics. I have in my head a light truck that was in competition with the Transit, a touch bigger than the Morris J4 but earlier than the Bedford CF. Possibly a CA

nightboss, Feb 12, 12:50pm
Would make an awesome project to make a transporter for a Brittish classic of the same period.

bmc460, Feb 12, 6:00pm
its what poms call a three penny bit.

tmenz, Feb 12, 7:37pm
Sh. sh. sh. shure is!

Try offering it to some organisation like Ferrymead or the Pigeon Valley Steam Museum in Nelson!

pdc1, Feb 12, 8:15pm
Pigeon Valley has a good truck museum, with everything in dry storage, with a strong members club.
I agree it would be a good place to send it.
You could loan it to them, or you could donate it to them.
If it is an option, I could get some phone numbers for you. Just ask.

supernova2, Feb 12, 8:53pm
My BIL learnt to drive in one of those.He may well be very interested.Will tell him today.

steptoe72, Feb 12, 9:24pm
^^ very nice.

drog, Feb 12, 10:10pm
I seem to recall that the NZ Forestry used these, with 'bus type' bodies, to transport forestry workers. Yes!

horsygirl, Feb 13, 12:17am
You could always see what coloured socks the driver was wearing.

ebygum1, Feb 13, 2:10am
Yup,a threepenny bit,the first truck I drove,around 1966. So called because of the cab shape,like the multi sided threepence. Incedently,it was also a tipper,belonged to the Phoenix Timber Co. Ltd.

ladatrouble, Feb 13, 4:58am
You could drive them with the doors tied back - great on a summers day or doing deliveries.The 6 cyl was pretty rare - I remember working on one that had a mixer body, and a hydraulic pump out the front.

steptoe72, Mar 1, 12:03pm
Have listed it for sale via a wheel nut.Listing #: 567605902I have cleaned out fuel lines and given it a comp test,,, and have also made sure tipper pto works. Bloody mint old classic truck.looking for a offer between 2 and 3 k and will relist as such if a person is keen.or I can restore for a lot more, or buy as is. .3K is a cheap classic.Or I will bare metal the cab and repaint white. and new rego and wof/cof. but 3K is better as is for a handy man than 15K . as cost to do it in stuff is only $800 plus new tyres,,I'm not self promoting. just offering a bargin

steptoe72, Mar 1, 12:05pm
Thats mint.pity they closed down the factory in Ch-Ch