Have had my car listed

Page 1 / 2
purplelillies, Feb 13, 6:09am
for about 6wks now. Can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes to sell here on TM. Thanks

theram1, Feb 13, 6:11am
might be too dear.

purplelillies, Feb 13, 6:14am
hmm i thought that too so have dropped the price a couple of times now & have had it with ono but surprised that i havent had any interest.

NZTools, Feb 13, 6:17am
7 days is the longest its taken for me to sell a car on here. Your car is about 600 overpriced.

hpaul, Feb 13, 6:19am
So, I guess you're looking for $3k.

Put your asking price down under the psychological$3k to $2,950, try to stick at that when you get interest, or when your punter(s) offer $2500 meet them in the middle at $2,750.

westwyn, Feb 13, 6:20am
Couple of pointers for you, if it helps.
-Yes, it's possibly a little overpriced, it's a 1995 model and not a terribly popular car either now. I'd suggest a price in the mid-$2000!
-Update the WOF and Rego, cars with expired, or expiring, WOF's are a real turn-off to buyers.
-Take some better photos! Had to laugh. your ad says "as you can see in the photos." well, actually, you can't! Get it out of your driveway, take photos from all angles, without sunburn, interior, tailgate, engine etc. You're allowed up to 20 photos for a reason!

Hope this helps.

purplelillies, Feb 13, 6:25am
Thanks for that but unable to take more pics now. what I meant by comment is that its obvious that the car is in good condition.

purplelillies, Feb 13, 6:26am
Thanks for that. Very helpful. We arent all car ad experts like some lol.

NZTools, Feb 13, 6:32am
It is only obvious the the drivers side of the car is in good condition, and even then the refections in the paint make it difficult to see.
Potential buyers cant see the passenger side, seats rear end, bumpers, engine bay etc.

Put another 3 months rego and a fresh wof on it.

hi-ling, Feb 13, 6:33am
Better pictures will help, get it out and get some nice photos of ALL the outside of the car front and back, plus the interior and seats. I think your asking price is still a little high. Seriously you want to sell it not store it, drop the price $500 and make that a firm price and I think you'll see a bit more interest.

purplelillies, Feb 13, 6:34am
It is only obvious the the drivers side of the car is in good condition, and even then the refections in the paint make it difficult to see.
Potential buyers cant see the passenger side, seats rear end, bumpers, engine bay etc.

Put another 3 months rego and a fresh wof on it.[/quote]

Have bought the rego I could afford and like I said, I am now unable to take more pics.

vtecintegra, Feb 13, 6:40am
Borrow a camera (or phone) and take some more - its worthwhile

purplelillies, Feb 13, 6:42am
no, i am unable to as I have had surgery cant move the car let alone take pics

gammelvind, Feb 13, 7:14am
Just did a search here on lasers between 1990 and 1999 there are about 70 here for sale, sort from lowest price and yours features in the upper end of a whole bunch of cars that arn't selling.
As suggested above, when you feature in the higher part of the price range for your model, you need to sell it much more with the images presented.
When it comes to an older car, 18 years now, people are either looking for something special or a bargain.

westwyn, Feb 13, 8:26am
I think everyone here appreciates your difficult position, however, you've asked the question, and therefore, need to address the answers.

It comes down to this- if, as you say, your car is not selling, and you wish it WOULD sell, then the advice given must be taken on board and utilised.

Price- there are some cool wise heads here regarding value (I work part-time as a professional vehicle valuer, by way of example) and the consensus is, your car needs to be priced lower, to meet the market. It's ironic, I know, but the Trader (dealer) market more often than not, has sharper pricing than private sellers, for a variety of reasons- most important, as Traders, we're constantly in tune with the market, and market shifts- we have to be, since it's a business, and not selling cars doesn't make for good business! By contrast, many private sellers are not in touch with those market shifts, relying upon their own "gut feel" or "I know it's worth." or worse, "It's worth that to me, so therefore." none of which helps when you're up against 70 other similar cars for sale. Private vendors often attach too much emotion and previous history to the sale of their car, to traders, it's simply a transaction on the day.

WOF etc- buyers do NOT like cars with little, or no, WOF. It's an instant turn-off and a good reason in their mind, to not bother picking up the phone to call you, or email you. The thinking- if the seller can't be bothered, or can't, get a WOF, why- what's wrong with it that I can't see! What else have I missed!

Photos- I can give you some first-hand good advice here on a professional level- good quality multiple photos sell your car, poor quality minimal issues do not. Again, you're up against competition. If you're serious about selling your car, you need to find a way around your predicament. You must surely know someone who can assist you- give them the keys to your car, your camera (or cellphone cam) on a sunny day, ask them to take you car out and get a set of photos of it- give them a brief idea of what you want. Then download these to your ad.

Buyers, sadly, pay no heed to your current medical situation, if they even knew. There are no sympathy buyers out there for a car being offered by a vendor in distress. (I should know, I deal with repossessed vehicle daily, trust me, there are no prizes within the market for the biggest hard-luck story).

I'm sorry if this doesn't sound so helpful, but I'm sure there ARE solutions to your problem, just they require some (a) input and (b) some assistance to have them work.

Good luck with your sale, sorry to hear of your ill health.

murray55, Feb 13, 8:39am
Update wof, more informative photos, and if possible ditch those wheels .sorry, but they would have to be THE MOST hideous I have ever seen.
Good luck with the sale.

hatchback, Feb 13, 8:40am
Blardy hell, woffle woffle.its a bloody car, no need for the movie review. Would have been easier to say " its a mid ninties small japper, shift it for 2k if you can, saves dumping it"

murray55, Feb 13, 8:48am
Yes I'm afraid that's the reality of your situation .hundreds of similar cars out there for sale, the only ones that do are either in remarkable condition, or priced next to nothing. Unfortunately yours seems to be neither .not being harsh just realistic. If you want it gone you need to price it accordingly, which I'm afraid in this case IMHO would be $1500 ish.

edangus, Feb 13, 8:51am
Then we have the other issue of. Peeps just got no money. You get asked questions like will you take $500.00 a fortnight!
Whilst I understand and empathise, No, you aint getting my car till you have paid for it.

tgray, Feb 13, 6:30pm
I sell 180-200 cars a year, and I agree with most of the above.
Your car is worth $2500 if it's in great condition and probably $2000 if the 'dents' you mention are worse than the pics suggest and you won't update the WOF.
As mentioned by others, you really need to take better pics and write a better ad. Look at mine if you wish for ideas.
6 weeks is too long. Have you had people coming over to view! What has been their feedback! Do the simple things like having it washed and vaccumed. If you can't do it, perhaps a family member can help you out!
All the best.

kazbanz, Feb 13, 7:38pm
You have asked a specific question and have several clear cut answers.
Someone needs to take better pictures of your car.
The WOF needs to be updated
The advert needs to be rephrased to reflect that fact.
Also the simple fact its been 6 weeks may put new potential buyers off.
No ego intended but in the past 6 weeks a company I know of have sold 15 cars in that prce bracket so they are selling

kazbanz, Feb 13, 7:55pm
Why bhas all the specific earlier advice been removed!

trade4us2, Feb 13, 8:32pm
I've never sold a car before. Could my photos be better!

phillip.weston, Feb 13, 10:24pm
Your photos are great for someone who has never sold a car before! My only comment would be to include more photos of the exterior from different angles - you've got a double up of the front right corner where you could instead be showing the rear right or rear left etc. Also for the front and rear shots I would get down a bit to take the shots - shooting from up high never makes the car look as good.

phillip.weston, Feb 13, 10:32pm
oh and if you wanted to be really pedantic I would group the photos - ie first 8a walk around of the car of each angle, next 8 interior shots, then the remaining 4 under bonnet, boot, wheel close up, anything else etc.