Trailer WOF question

whqqsh, Feb 13, 7:46am
trailer I built over 10 years ago failed a WOF today because it doesnt have 'sides'. It has a 25mm RHS frame thats 250 high but not lined. The WOF guy reckoned stuff could fall out, I replied that I usually dont carry anything that likely to do that, hasnt failed a WOF in 10 years & what about flat decks anyway! but he reckoned it was unsafe & the regs had recently changed & no WOF.
Does anyone know the actual rule on this

sandypheet, Feb 13, 7:55am
I think it would be a enforcement issue,not a wof one.Ask to see the rule.

supernova2, Feb 13, 7:56am
http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof/general-trailers.

Cant see anything there myself so sounds like bollocks to me.As far as I know what the load may or may not be has nothing to do with WOF requirements.Those matters are covered in various transport acts overloading, insecure load etc etc.

Go back to the WOF guy and ask to see the new rule he speaks about.

johnf_456, Feb 13, 8:08am
That is a loading issue which is enforceable by the police, trailers as a general rule for light weight must be of sound construction, no sharp edges etc, good draw bar, lights, bearing. I would go back carmly and politely and ask him to show you in VIRM.

whqqsh, Feb 13, 8:38am
yeah, you guys are thinking along the lines I am. If I do have a load thats likely to fall out(like general rubbish, topsoil etc) but thats very seldom, I either slide ply in the sides or line with a tarp.
Any other time its so much easier to tie down etc with bare frame sides & Ive kept the weight down so I can lift the trailer around by myself while still hitched

sandypheet, Feb 13, 9:00am
Just say its a boat trailer.

skin1235, Feb 13, 9:24am
I have a large tandem with open frame sides, never failed a wof yet
wtf is he on about!

ml6989, Feb 13, 9:46am
The inspector is enforcing rules that do not exist. Go back and give him the chance to do it right and if that does not work, ask for a copy of their complaint procedure. Start the complaint process and get it sorted. He is being a twat.

jetsin5, Feb 13, 10:10am
Or a motorbike trailer

whqqsh, Feb 13, 4:38pm
probably just go somewhere else, it is a pain because we take all our vehicles there, the guys usually pretty good & its just down the road from work

peternz, Feb 13, 5:54pm
I built home built trailers like yours . Just a flat deck . all good for wof . I built them to put signs on,Just a towing frame, Flat ply deck, Mud guards, Lights etc under tray .

tigra, Feb 13, 7:05pm
But wont it show up that it has been failed and get a much closer inspection with possibly the same result!