Is a car ever too old ?

Page 1 / 2
wifiabc, Mar 12, 7:14am
Is a 20 year old Toyota Windom car too old!It's been serviced regularly and has only done 138,000 km.Water pump and timing belt replaced at80,000km , rear shocks and radiator replaced at 110,000km.

lugee, Mar 12, 7:17am
Won't be nice on fuel

trogedon, Mar 12, 7:18am
20 year old car isn't 'old'. A 100 year old car is old.

gunhand, Mar 12, 7:18am
Ive seen these cars with huge KMs still running sweet as and in very good condition as well. Ive seen trashed and bashed ones still going quite well considering what they may look like physically.

a.woodrow, Mar 12, 7:33am
Check it thoroughly for any signs of cooling or overheating issues, they are prone to headgasket and engine head issues

franc123, Mar 12, 7:54am
They're not a very good choice if you're just after a cheap run around, and despite having the magic T badge are not that easy to onsell either, nobody wants that type of vehicle when they get old , small Jap V6's are too thirsty, too complex and too expensive to fix, this especially applies to those 3VZ engines.

johnf_456, Mar 12, 7:56am
Not old at all, it all goes down to how its being treated

pebbles61, Mar 12, 7:56am
Keep it going for another 20 years at least!

monaro17, Mar 12, 8:34am
My son has a 1995 3.0V6 Nissan Cefiro, it is a very quick car, has a brilliantly smooth and quiet ride and uses 11-12 city, and 7-8 highway, so much to popular gossip they are not overly thirsty. the nissan is mechanically fantastic (it has one of the best V6's to be manufactured ever). So to answer your question the windom will also be a wonderful car- they are like the maximas/cefiros highly underrated cars. If the price is right go for it!

tuttyclan, Mar 12, 9:32am
20 years is not old,I just drove my 53 year old car 550km last weekend.

edangus, Mar 12, 9:59am
Nup, just too rusty or bent sometimes.

spead, Mar 12, 9:23pm
saw some old cars in Christchurch two weeks ago, One was 1905 and in excellent working order.

flockton55, Mar 13, 8:55am
Old, at 20! My vehicles, 76 Mini, 82 Katana, 84 XJ12, 88 Familia. All just fine thanks, two of them owned by me for around 20 years too.

oliver6, Mar 13, 9:23am
Being honest, you would be best to keep the katana and crush the rest. I know that might hurt a bit at first, but you'll have a better life later.

franc123, Mar 14, 9:26am
What a stupid comment, if the owner is happy with them and they are reliablethere isn't a problem.Your life can be far happier with good quality old cars in it that you can fully maintain yourself than some of this computerised modern crap, there are far more tales of woe with expensive problems with late model stuff than anything made in the 70's and 80's.

oliver6, Mar 14, 9:33am
You are right, he should keep the Familia and the Katana and crush the others.

bmwnz, Mar 14, 9:34am
Everyone's different. For instance, I consider 10 years old to be too old to interest me in a car. For a while, when I was working and well off, I considered 2 year old cars to be too old for me. Now I'm retired, I've had to allow that to extend a little.

outbidyou2, Mar 14, 9:34am
Too old for what!

jenny188, Mar 14, 9:54am
Sons 96 bluebird did Picton- Invercargill return last weekend in 26 hours (1800 k's) with just fuel/ food/ piss stops. The Windom could be just as reliable but would have used a s.t load more fuel

vtecnet, Mar 14, 10:01am
My old 89 BMW 325i and 1990 Merc 190e haven't let me down yet, done around 20,000k in the last year (combined between the 2 cars, incl trips to Queenstown, Nelson, West Coast etc).
The older cars were quite well made, over engineered etc, well some of them at least, sadly from the early to mid 90's the Euro car makers were forced to use recycled plastics, which often results in catastrophic failures of the cooling system, I believe the mid 90's Japanese cars are a better choice then mid 90's euro cars for the average person that wants a car to get from A-B

sr2, Mar 14, 10:21am
Well done johnno me boy, for once you didn't just post "+1". (Some mothers do have 'em).

johnf_456, Mar 14, 10:42am
duty done

sr2, Mar 14, 10:53am
And again in English please johnno me boy. ("Some mothers do have 'em).

nightboss, Mar 14, 10:57am
LOL sr2. I used to love that program with the hapless Frank Spencer, fumbling and bumbling his way through things. The closest to that on modern TV is Dr Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory, two classic comedies with socially inept lead characters. Thank goodness there aren't people like that in real life.

outbidyou2, Mar 14, 11:00am
What about 23