Help re ownership of car pls

Page 1 / 2
purplewitches, Mar 13, 8:10pm
I brought my son a car he hasnt payed me back for it hes on his learners and since have found hes ben Drinking and driving and also takin being a dick with his mates in car and notice today hes crashed a bit of the front, Im takin the keys off him till hes payed me for the car BUT what i would like to KNOW is the car is reg under my name so any fines etc hes got in this car and stuff would it come back on me in anyways.!

dunedin_moto, Mar 13, 8:11pm
Camera fines etc, yes.

purplewitches, Mar 13, 8:13pm
ok thankyou heaps for that def takin off him till hes payed me back for it and has it out of my name

smac, Mar 13, 8:18pm
But if he's pulled over, fines will go to him.

daryl14, Mar 13, 8:20pm
Sell it, teach the little fecker a lesson.
He's obviously not ready for the responsibility.
You're a crappy parent if you let it continue.

DON'T just get him all legal and then go he's not my problem anymore.
DON'T make you son the problem of all other road users. PLEASE.

purplewitches, Mar 13, 8:21pm
but still looks bad in my name is that right if hes always in shit andcars coming back to my name

purplewitches, Mar 13, 8:22pm
what if he crashes it being a dick driving would that come back on me.

daryl14, Mar 13, 8:24pm
What if he kills a little kid! All you are worried about is are you in the clear! What do you think it will put your family through! Take responsibility for him FFS.

The kid is in serious need of some defensive driving courses and other education about what being a "dick" in a car can cause.

kaeloch, Mar 13, 8:31pm
Is it insured!
If not I would get at least 3rd party on it NOW!
Imagine having to pay if he hits someone else!

peternz, Mar 13, 8:38pm
Put the car into0 his name with out him knowing . easy done . That way he gets all the crap .

intrade, Mar 13, 8:47pm
its a hard one i would take the car off him and sell it, He should have to work him self to buy his own things just like we used to in the olden days, or he probably become a criminal or drog addict in jale or grave the way he is going. Its also a problem that they are tenager not being able tho think clearly till they growen out of that . You can help him out once he has growen up.

motorboy2011, Mar 13, 8:52pm
I was somewhat that same in my younger days, dad let me keep the car and keys, not that it was much good with no wheels

purplewitches, Mar 13, 8:54pm
its ok its locked up and takin off him i had no idea how serious this could be

intrade, Mar 13, 8:55pm
the problem with that is the guy could rack up 50 grand in fines till he is 20 and over his tenage years and then is stuck with his stupid things he done as tenager unable to pay the 50 grandback for the next 10 years of his working livehaunting him for a long time or he just becomes a dole blodger not paying any thing and stealing stuff to support his drog addiction he coule have taken to because the tunnel he is in shows no light. alsorts its not going to stop the way he drives when the vehicle is registered in his name.

splinter67, Mar 13, 8:56pm
Unless he has a full licensed driver in the front seat insurance wont help.

intrade, Mar 13, 8:58pm
i dont know your son but i would make sure he dont steals your car or something you know your son better then i could and i dont know how well you know him or think you do either. allsorts could happen,Like i would only let him have his car if he works somwhere where its needed and the car would be back after his work.
I would also install a gps tracker in to it so you know in future where the car went if you diside to let him have it again

1rad8, Mar 13, 9:04pm
I agree!
Yup,while everyone can say hes young etc etc.It is at these time in age that he needs to get his head on straight.He's at a careless age so make him put the effort and hard yard into knowing that everything has consequences.
With what you say,last thing you want is the cops turning up to the door saying your son was in an accident and didnt make it or he killed someone.Nothing any parent wants to go through!

trader_84, Mar 13, 9:39pm
Haha! Ratbag sons aye! I've been there . a few times. A lot of them go through a patch like this and it don't matter what socioeconomic status your family fits into or how he was brought up. The best way (for us) we found was putting the onus back on him to make his own decisions. Make him aware of the consequences/repurcusion but then tell him . its your life - you make the call. Then make sure they live with it. My experience in these matters goes from 'social visits' from the filth all the way to organising visit timings to the big house. We've been through it all. They come round (your boy) . but some take years. Check his mates out also . removing them from his sphere of influence will go a long way.

meathead_timaru, Mar 13, 9:48pm
And any stationary vehicle offences like parking.

kaeloch, Mar 14, 3:04am
Yup sorry I missed the learner driver bit. I wouldn't be letting him drive it alone at all then!

kazbanz, Mar 14, 4:55am
Heck I wouldn't be taking the keys I'd be selling the car. Yes the fines come back to the registered owner. YOU then have to give a stat dec naming the ACTUAL driver of the vehicle.

star_equines, Mar 14, 5:00am
As soon as your Reg it in his name, you will no longer have the power to lock it up and take the keys off him as you are taking his property, been a shit of a kid he would proberly report it to the cops Lol.

meathead_timaru, Mar 14, 11:52am
Wrong. Registered owner is not legal title. Never has been.

yeahm8, Mar 14, 1:55pm
My cousin went through the same thing with her daughter and unfortunately a few thousand dollars in speeding fines(including camera) soon became a burden on her as the daughter didn't earn enough to pay for let alone pay off much of it.so she sold the car and the daughter had to catch a bus to her job, daughter was fortunate that the bus stopped near her job.
The daughter soon realised working to pay off moments of stupidity out of her own pocket wasn't a wise move after all.
Sell the car.

edangus, Mar 14, 7:46pm
Sell it or Crush it. Stuff the little toerag.