Help re ownership of car pls

Page 2 / 2
fordstar1, Mar 14, 11:10pm
It will go to your address with your name on it, but you can forward his details to the council or the police and state he was the driver and they then pursue him for the fines.

What if I??

meathead_timaru, Mar 15, 12:50am
They ultimately fall back on the registered owner if the person denies it.

It's simply easier to transfer registered ownership to him. It doesn't mean anything except who is liable for infringement fees for stationary vehicle and speed camera offences. It doesn't mean that person has legal title to the vehicle.

star_equines, Mar 16, 2:48am
So are you telling me I can go next door and take there car keys from them to stop them from driving stupidly down my street even though its registered in there name, and not get into trouble!

smac, Mar 16, 3:13am
No. He's saying registered owner is not legal title.

smac, Mar 16, 3:15am
Not correct. The statutory declaration requires the authority to chase the named person. If they deny it, that's between the person you named in the declaration and the authority.

pico42, Mar 16, 4:05am
He is not saying any such thing and it is silly to try and draw that conclusion from what he did say.

fordstar1, Mar 20, 11:21pm
Correct.You can only fine a person, not a vehicle. Ownership of the vehicle in itself is not what the offending is about.It's about who put the vehicle in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing, at the wrong time.
Once you displace the liability from yourself onto someone else.The authorities can't come back to you, because you have done all that is expected of you.

mrfxit, Mar 21, 5:01am
Yep.
Apart from confirming that you (the reg owner) wasn't driving at the time, you may be asked for specific proof of time/day/ location that you were NOT in fact driving or able to drive that vehicle when specific offenses happened.
Eg: Proof of the reg owner being in Auckland at 2pm Wednesday when the vehicle, was getting speed camera tickets in Hamilton at 2.10pm Wednesday.
It will sometimes need to be a consistent record of proof over several events to provide a pattern that fits as you declared.

fordstar1, Mar 21, 6:26am
You don't have to give proof except the offending drivers details.I own a lot of vehicles and I've done this a lot of times, just by writing to the authorities and telling them who was driving.It has never come back on me, and they have never asked me for proof.How can someone ask you to prove you weren't driving a vehicle, that's an absurd thing to ask.It's up to the authorities to prove you were driving the vehicle.

fordcrzy, Mar 21, 6:41am
i had to work after school and weekends for my car when i was 15 and i never put a scratch on it. the kids whos parents bought them a car rolled bowled and you know what the cars mummy and daddy gave them. one chick wrote off two cars in just one month. sell the car and tell your son to grow the **** up. when he can afford a car for himself then go for it.

just be thankful he hasnt killed himself or his mates YET

smac, Mar 21, 7:35pm
Agreed, I've dealt with this is lot too, and have never heard of anything additional being asked. That's the whole point of a statutory declaration - the penalty for a false declaration is going to be a lot worse than the speeding ticket.

kevymtnz, Mar 21, 7:46pm
yip remove car and take it somewhere elseor just take it out of your name

ballin2014, Mar 24, 6:04am
i know this is going to sound horrible but i hink it needs to be said,what if he crashes into another motorist or even a child on a bike after being drinking and driving.,you WILL feel the pain for the rest of your life! so at the end of the day,you need to make a hard choice and hopefully save someone else's family a lifetime of pain