Installing seats in the back of a SW?

Page 1 / 2
lacosa6, Feb 24, 8:43am
I see a couple of commodore/falcons are being sold and stating they have had the rear seats (making them 7 seaters) installed. I HATE people movers with a passion and so does hubby but it looks like we are going to need a 7 seater vehicle. How hard is it to get these rear seats installed and what kind of cost would we be looking at!

cowlover, Feb 24, 9:10am
IMHOdont do it. Dangerous.Would you like to be trapped in the load space (boot) of a station wagon!Those rear facing ones are even worse.

skull, Feb 24, 9:14am
If you value your passengers more than your anti people mover feelings you'll get a proper vehicle designed to carry 7 people. Your hate of people movers is all in the mind, get counseling or take a pill.

skull, Feb 24, 9:15am
And the 7th person!

lacosa6, Feb 24, 9:17am
Thanks for that but I will take a sturdy ford or holden over jap crap for safety any day of the week.

mugenb20b, Feb 24, 9:18am
Easy to get and fit. Allow $2000. Keep in mind those seats have a limited amount of space and are usually only suitable for kids up to 7 or 8 years of age. I hate people movers as well but made sense purchasing them due to their versatility.

lacosa6, Feb 24, 9:20am
thanks for the decent reply. we are a family of 5 (two 6 year olds and a 2 year old) itsjust with friends, school trips etc it would be nice to have an extra seat or two :)

lacosa6, Feb 24, 9:22am
bugger that, an accident waiting to happen if kids were that close to the driver.

mugenb20b, Feb 24, 9:22am
And I will take a proper 7 seater over a makeshift 7 seater station wagon. Not a lot of room between your kids' heads and the roof.

mugenb20b, Feb 24, 9:24am
That's a Honda equivalent of a Fiat Multipla.

lacosa6, Feb 24, 9:27am
90% of the time its just me and our 3 small kids (hubby works long hours) We were just sent a bit mad today on our road trip by the kids being stuck so close together in the back seat of our falcon consciequiently arguing and poking each other the whole way!

mugenb20b, Feb 24, 9:31am
In that case, go for it. Our kids did the same until we spread them apart.

cowlover, Feb 24, 9:52am
So which one of your 3 are going to be tuck in te suicide seat at the back!Are you going to draw lots or perhaps use te back seat as te naugty spot.A Kenworth into the back of your so called solid ford or holden is going to demolish the 3rd row of seats.A SW tailgate is not IMHO designed to protect people.Whilst the 3rd row migt be esay to get and fit are there factory mounts for belts etc or what!

edangus, Feb 24, 9:59am
Grab an Outlander - V6 7 seater

franc123, Feb 24, 11:34am
Oh for crying out loud, if anything 3rd row passengers would be better protected in a Falcon as they sit further forward in the load area, at least they wouldn't have their heads almost against the back window like most Jap people movers. The OP wants occasional use of an extra row of seats without subjecting themselves to the daily embarrassment of being seen in a Estima/Serena/Picnic/Prairie or any other dumb named Jap runt mover thats totally underpowered for the task.Why is that so hard to understand!

cowlover, Feb 24, 12:03pm
So where do the 3rd row people put their feet as I assume there is no footwell in the boot!Can you even get a kiddy seat into the 3rd row!I agree that some of the people movers are useless but that was not the OPs question.They asked about 3rd row seats in SWs.Its still my opinon that its a stupid idea.IMHO if the adult is not prepared to sit in the seat a child should not be put there either even if it is occasionally.Now is that the occasion where the Kenwort arrives or is it a different occasion!I don't know do you!

whqqsh, Feb 24, 4:19pm
I agree, why cant ppl just answer the question instead of jumping all over someone elses preferences to push their own.

mugenb20b, Feb 24, 6:38pm
1. No foot well, the knees will touch the roof if you attempt to sit there, it's only for small kids, max. weight around 80kg.
2. From the ones I've seen, no.

NZTools, Feb 24, 6:42pm
If you belive the rear of a ford or holden station wagon in a safer place to be in an accident that a jap people mover, you truely are deluded.

mugenb20b, Feb 24, 6:43pm
Because, some people have been there before, ie. they looked at all the options themselves and found that 7 seater Falcodores aren't suitable for the job.
Once you have the third row of seats fitted, they can't be conveniently folded away.

kazbanz, Feb 24, 7:36pm
lacosa- You CAN buy a rear bench seat for a Ford falcon wagon. Current cost is $2600. It includes seatbelts-Im not 100% certain if you need an LVV (special inspection) on the seat or not.
The seat is not suitable for anyone taller than an average 8 year old.
The issues with doing this are
1)greatly reduced load space in the rear area.
2)getting in and out of the rear seat is a mission
3)it doesn't come out easilly if you want to use the vehicle as a wagon.
But $2600 is a lot cheaper than a new car.
Its a misconception that jap "loser wagons" are unsafe in the back seat
Some I agree have the rear row of seats way too close to the back of the vehicle but the ones competing with a commodore or falcon are n't like that at all
Have a look for example at the Toyota Mark X ZIO

msigg, Feb 24, 8:57pm
Yea Kabanz is correct on this one, those rear seats are not that comfortable and sit low to the floor because you do not have much head room, for small kids ok , they get bored with it after a while. Each to there own.

lacosa6, Feb 25, 2:59am
LOL typical trade me message board, ask a simple question and get others beliefs rammed down your throat. Thanks to those that actaully bothered to answer the question but IMO it doesnt matter what your driving, if you get rear ended by a kenworth your screwed!
Space isnt an issue as we have a DC ute aswell but its going to cost more than we were going to spend so its a no go for us anyway (the preachers will be pleased) lol

freedomaira320, Feb 25, 3:23am
If safety is your main concern, I certainly wouldn't be modifying a car that wasn't designed for seven seats. A late model people mover (yes, most of them are Japanese, but there are European options) would be your best bet. The entire cabin is designed for the extra people, and safety standards are very high now.

gunhand, Feb 25, 8:28am
I own and drive a people mover. It does everything all my other cars have and interestinly even more than they did. It turns out to be a very practicable vehicle all the time. It does 100 plus kph without difficulty. Its no race van but are we in a race on the roads, I know some certainly are.
And why would it be embarrassing!Its a vehicle and does what one should do. Bit of a bummer if you worry what other people think of your car.