Any peugeot mechanics here?

nashipear, Mar 6, 11:49pm
Having this same problem with my clutch. http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=CnEpF05r2HY
lots of squeaky grinding horribleness. Says on the video title clutch bearing failure. Replaced clutch. My silly car had the clutch replaced by the old owners about 40k ago and already its stuffed but ohh well. Anyone know how much this might cost to fix!

intrade, Mar 6, 11:55pm
jup seezed truster bearing. that coms when morons who think replacing a clutch is changing the disk with the friction material is all the needs doing to replace a clutch.when you do a clutch you change the crankseal behind the flywheel you replace all seals on the gearbox, you buy a whole clutch kit that contains pressurplate clutch friction disk and truster bearing and you change the gearbox oil. thats what is required to do a propper clutch job. you also machine the flywheel if it looks scored . its soon ads up to quite a bill but better then having half the bill and 4 month later it needs doing again

intrade, Mar 6, 11:59pm
peugeot should be easy to get parts for as all the bretherns drive peugeots you wont be able to find a radio antenna for these do them parts be probably non existent in nz

nashipear, Mar 7, 12:03am
you reckon they would they have to take the whole gearbox out to replace the clutch! and do you think it would be worth replacing the flywheel!

Ive taken the car into the mechanic but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm a woman who doesn't know much about cars so I really hope they replace the right things and don't overcharge me!

intrade, Mar 7, 12:13am
post what yer car it is! older have a solid flywheel and you need to take the flywheel off to replace the seal of the engine as this seal can only be taken out and replaced when the flywheel is off , and yes all needs to come out it be a grand + minus a few hundred if its a mid 90s peugeot with solid mass flywheel.

intrade, Mar 7, 12:20am
the reason one needs to replace the flywheel is only on newer car they have whats called a dualmass flywheel, that is some crap they invented to reduce noises from the gearbox when the engine is idle and no gear selected. the dualmass flyweel are not repairable as there is no parts for it so the flywheel gets replaced as whole and the old throwen in the rubbish. a rather expensive exersize and some have converted the dualmass to a old solide flywheel to not have the problem of needing a new flyweel again, and put up with the noise the gearbox makeswhen the engine is in idle.

intrade, Mar 7, 12:26am
and yesyour gearbox needs to come out to replace the truster bearing as it rides on the shaft that goes in to the engine flywheel.
most thrust bearing look like this the shaft from the gearbox goes thru that hole in the bearing.
http://www.askthemechanic.co.uk/images/Clutch%20Thurst%20Bearing.jpg

intrade, Mar 7, 12:29am
on that pictureyou see the fins of the pressure plate and the disk to the left is the friction disc the bearing pushes on to them fins and needs to spin so it does not start grinding a hole thru the fins them fins move the other side of the plate back so the friction disc is spinning free. when you push the clutch.
In your case the bearing with the arrow is seezed and starts eating its way thru the finns its that horribile noise from your youtube post.
it will only make that noise when you press the clutch as the bearing is not tutching the fins when you dont press the clutch

This is also why you should not have your foot on the clutch all the time on a red traffic light as you would wear the truster bearing out premature like this its only got grease inside it when it was made new so once you get it hot and all the grease gone it soon will seez up .

splinter67, Mar 7, 1:17am
Good advice intrade op does your mechanic actually know about puegeotsif not can you find one that does as they require a different set of skills to work on them correctly

nashipear, Mar 7, 1:33am
its either 2003 or 2004 so im guessing it has a duelmass flywheel which would need to be replaced with either a another one of them or a solid. Would a solid be that much noisier! Peugeot 206 gti wagon. Yeah was thinking it would be around a grand. hmm splinter67 not sure the mechanic does know much about Peugeot's. But I am in Alexandra there isn't many mechanics to choose from.

intrade, Mar 7, 1:40am
solid mass are hard to source it be more like 2 grand if you change to a solid mass as somone has to make the whole flywheel. I will need to change to solid mass on my vw diesel and i will need to import the flywheel from uk and i be getting a more heavy clutch also as its chiptuned and produces quite some torque . So if you keep the car i would get it on a solid mass flywheel as dualmass usually wear the clutch out at 100 to 150,000km then hey add another clutch and then another 50,000km later the dualmass flywheel nukes the clutch again becaus the flywheel has now gone . My vw has had the clutch replaced without dualmass flywheel so the clutch will be a goner in the next 40,000km again

intrade, Mar 7, 1:52am
Peugeot 206 SW (2E/K) 2.0 16V ??? Wheel Drive ??? Clutch ??? Repair Kit, clutch complete
i dont see a dualmass for that could not see a gti but assumed the gti would be the 2.0
so maybe your in luck and its got a solid mass from factory, i know hdi got dualmass crap.
http://seekpart24.com/peugeot/206-sw-2e-k-02/2-0-16v-12686/repair-kit-clutch-complete-100051

nashipear, Mar 7, 2:06am
yey hope it is a solid mass!

unbeatabull, Mar 7, 6:13am
I deal a lot with Dual Mass Flywheels, there are very few that I have actually found NEED replacing. Most of the time we pull them apart, check everything inside is still all greased up etc and not worn, get the face that the friction disc runs on machined then reassemble and refit to vehicle.

I wouldn't get suckered into having to replace the flywheel without being shown WHY it needs to be replaced first. It is advisable you get it machined though.

00quattro00, Mar 7, 7:01am
They last a long time, my car is on its original clutch and flywheel at 265,000km, will need a new clutch soon though