Spark plugs effecting idle speed

mrfxit, Mar 2, 7:34pm
Mmmmm interesting . & makes sense ;-)

1990 Passet had a full set of those 3 prong spark plugs in it (can't remember model)
Replaced them with a full set of NGK bp5's & it's idling a lot better, even starting a little quicker.

The super duper plugs must have been pulling a little bit too much power from the factory ign coil

a.woodrow, Mar 2, 7:41pm
Probably more like one or more plugs just needed replaced, I'm sure you would have noticed the same if you had put new ones in the same as the old!

panicky, Mar 2, 7:42pm
3 electrode plugs still only produce 1 spark

intrade, Mar 2, 7:47pm
yea probably old them irridium platinum plugs dont show wear they just die one day and look new still

mrfxit, Mar 3, 12:00am
Original plugs would have only been a year or 2 old
Anything above cold or hot idle was smooth.
Never ever any sign of a cylinder miss & plugs looked fine for soot etc
The plugs I used to replace that lot are about 15 years old but still in good physical condition.

Hunting around a few forumslate this morning shows that it's a not uncommon/ common issue with many different bands/ models of vehicles

mrfxit, Mar 3, 12:03am
3 spark points probably would have maxed out the capacity of the coil to keep up at idle, (low voltage).

Would still be 3 instantaneous small sparks instead of 1 single big spark

motorboy2011, Mar 3, 12:26am
no there won't, the spark will take the easiest possible route, which will be from the centre to the closest pin. time and spark will eventually oxidise the pin down, at which point the spark will start to jump to the next closest pin, assuming it's the easiest route with all the combustion pafticles on it as it won't have had a spark burning these particles off.

mrfxit, Mar 3, 1:54am
Mmmm lol, oh ok so a bit of digging clears up my general idea of the problem, (not enough power)
Heres my bit .>>>

"They are also effective for vehicles with very high ignition system voltages and/or combustion chamber temperatures.

" Multi Power plugs are not for all applications, as they can tend to quench the spark, or hamper the ability of the flame to grow from the initial ignition point. However, the multiple ground electrode configuration can help alleviate a number of problems, including hard starting, excessive fouling or misfiring. They are also effective for vehicles with very high ignition system voltages and/or combustion chamber temperatures.

Typical applications for Multi Power spark plugs include factory turbocharged engines, Mazda rotary engines, and other high-compression type engines."

& heres your bit.>>>

"Remember that Multi Power spark plugs, or any other multiple electrode type spark plug, cannot provide more than one spark at a time. The primary purpose of the multiple electrode spark plug is to achieve greater spark plug durability and reliability over the life of the plug. "

http://www.gng.co.nz/spark-plugs/spark-plugs/bcpr6et-ngk-multi-ground-spark-plug

richardmcf, Mar 3, 8:11am
can you count to potato!

meathead_timaru, Mar 3, 9:01am
No. Path of least resistance.

mrfxit, Mar 3, 9:03am
Already confirmed at #8
Bit slow there tonight MT

motorboy2011, Mar 3, 9:30am
and pointed out at 7

meathead_timaru, Mar 3, 10:49am
I don't bother reading most posts because they're usually complete uninformed drivel.

intrade, Mar 3, 9:28pm
my first gti mk1 vw i had fitted new sparkplugs but the original gap was wrong out the box. it would not run it just coughed and backfired , Set correct plug gap and woala no more problems . 20 year later the engine still was fine but the car had gone to dust so sold the engine for a few hundred bux over in europe when i got rid of all my stuff a few years ago. Your engine will be the same but more advanced they used the nsu tt engineadvanced copie for the fwd models like golf passat .

intrade, Mar 3, 9:40pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSU_Motorenwerke

Volkswagen Group takeover

autounion is audi

The development of the rotary engine was very cost-intensive for the small company. Problems with the tip seals of the engine rotor significantly damaged the brand's reputation amongst consumers. In 1969, the company was taken over by Volkswagen Group, who merged NSU with Auto Union