Screeching sound while driving - help?

Page 1 / 2
sunny_daze, Feb 19, 3:32am
Hi, would this noise be from stones! I went over some road works and within seconds the noise started. It sounds really bad and very loud. Almost like metal scrapping. Had a look and did dislodge a few stones from around the wheel area but it didn't help. Any chance I can fix this or will i have to call a mechanic! Thanks :)

therafter1, Feb 19, 3:37am
Yep, stone, usually between disc shield and disc.

Just carry on usually and it will toss itself out. If it won't it will have to be gone after.

jmma, Feb 19, 3:38am
Sometimes reversing and putting on the brakes will dislodge a stone (o:

sunny_daze, Feb 19, 3:41am
It's really loud, like people stopped and stared lol Will give a few goes up and down the driveway using the brakes a lot and pray it works. Thanks

andy61, Feb 19, 4:49am
Brake padscould be worn- worth checking pad thickness.

purple666, Feb 19, 5:24am
I have the same problem and have tried all the above and had both calipers and discs off, also gave pads a quick sand and it still squeals like mad. 1997 Toyota Camry, any ideas! Pads were replaced a few months back.

shorebee, Feb 19, 5:32am
get thestone out soon as willwear down discs and machining is 100 bucks plus

gammelvind, Feb 19, 6:36am
A quick reverse usually flcks it out.

gunhand, Feb 19, 6:41am
Sometimes a slipping belt will screech something shocking and everyone does look. Is you air con on when this happens! or could be another belt slipping.
Or the old stone jammed as well.

tmenz, Feb 19, 9:20am
Mother-in-law in the back seat.

monsieurl, Feb 19, 9:33am
If it's not a stone this sounds likely to be the culprit!

purple666, Feb 19, 9:56am
Sound goes as soon as apply pressure to brake pedal, so not slipping belt. My stepson who is pretty handy with the more modern cars has been trying to cure it and it got him stumped, he has just done cambelt on it for me, so got him to have a look while wheel was off. He tried alsorts, reckons spray it all with crc next.

trade4us2, Feb 19, 10:15am
If that's CRC Brakleen that might be OK. But not CRC 556.
But I'd be looking very hard for stones in the brakes.

purple666, Feb 19, 10:24am
Like I say we have had both discs off, pads out and callipers off a couple of times now with no luck.

cowlover, Feb 19, 10:26am
sounds like cheap rubbish pads to me.

rpvr, Feb 19, 7:15pm
I'm picking it will be a stone there somewhere. I had one once and had to unbolt the caliper unit and take off the brake rotor before I found it. There was a shiny mark on the back of the rotor where it had been rubbing, just outside the area the pads engage.

purple666, Feb 20, 1:36am
They were from Repco but weren't the cheapest ones they had, we gave them a scuff up just to see if that made any difference, it didn't.

purple666, Feb 20, 1:42am
We both know one end of a spanner from the other, me old school and he is modern school, and yes it sure has all the hallmarks of a trapped stone. I am old and don't get embarased by the now near constant screeching but he is young and hates to be beaten by what seems to be a simple problem.

therafter1, Feb 20, 2:14am
Type of vehicle !

You have mentioned that you have removed everything except the caliper mount. But in saying that you have said that you have had the discs off, and usually to get the disc off you have to remove the caliper mount.

Its possible that the stone has munted one of the anti chatter type shims and it is now in contact with the disc.

purple666, Feb 20, 2:33am
1997 Toyota Camry, caliper mount must have come off then as I have had the discs in hand, anti chatter shims look ok, although there was an extra 1 or 2 in there that have now been removed.

trade4us2, Feb 20, 6:44am
If you can spin the wheels while they are on the car, get a piece of garden hose about a metre long, put one end in your ear and the other end near the wheel. Spin the wheel and find where the noise is coming from.

next-to-normal, Feb 20, 10:53am
dont know if you have pins,but check that they are returning

purple666, Mar 1, 6:01am
You wouldn't belive it, was the rear brake pads all along DOH. All fixed now, cheers for the help.

intrade, Mar 1, 6:17am
you can put some goop on the back of the pads . i once used high temp silicone and glued it to the piston because the antirattle spring was gone and it madebad noisesfine now lol
You just got to let it dry befor you force the piston togather make a note especially on automatic cars as it can take a few pumps to get the brake piston to the position where the car is stopped

therafter1, Mar 1, 6:27am
Lol, it makes online suggestions really hard when you can neither see nor hear the problem.

Noises can be a bugger to trace, and the feedback that you get in the drivers seat isn't always accurate feedback. It isn't at all unusual for the vehicle to be driven forwards and backwards while someone walks alongside attempting to pinpoint the noise, or alternatively, elevated on a hoist, motor running and driveline engaged.