Car character?

Page 1 / 3
bmwnz, Feb 23, 8:33pm
When I was younger, cars were somehow more important to me than they are now and I was more into requiring a car to have some sort of 'character', whatever that was. Nowadays, I just require practicality, reliability and ease of use.

I spent many, many thousands of dollars swapping cars to chase that thing that I couldn't define. I recall buying brand new cars, only to sell them within a few months because they just did exactly what I now desire from a car. I was inflicted with some kind of motoring madness, I guess.

I tried new cars, old cars and cars built before Moses went up the mountain and found what I was looking for mainly in BMWs and I still think that a Bimmer has a certain driving feel to me that is like no other car I've driven. That said, I don't drive one these days.

I'm guessing that many of you have also participated in the great chase for something undefinable, but nonetheless important to you. What was it that took your fancy when you found it!

BTW - there are no right or wrong answers - its all personal preference.

tigra, Feb 23, 8:39pm
I have always tried to have something a bit different. probably cost me more than average over the years but its nice to be different from the herd.

tigra, Feb 23, 8:40pm
Once owned an Allard .now that was different as they only made 160 of the model I had.

budgel, Feb 23, 9:13pm
As I started reading the original post I found myself thinking that is why I own and drive my BMW, and then found that he got that indefinable thing called character from them too!

I had much the same experience in the distant past with the Norton motorcycles i used to ride. There was an in-depth involvement with the machine (tightening the nuts and bolts after every ride sort of thing.)
Then I got rid of my last commando and bought a GSX1100 when they came out . From then on I did a lot more riding and a lot less fettling.

gunhand, Feb 23, 9:16pm
Yes Im sure you can define being broken all the time as "character".That is what alot say about there unreliable wrecks there spending a fortune on trying to keep it going."but its got character" they say, to ashamed to admit its a piece of crap.

clark20, Feb 23, 9:18pm
That's probably why I can't sell my MG

ambo11, Feb 23, 9:20pm
I've always bought and soldcars, looking for that "magi"c one, had some absolute dogs over the years (MK4 Cortina by far the worst, what an absolute pig) and some that were great all rounders likean 80's Subaru Leone auto, and an Accord US wagon, AUII Fairmont, these were simple, but reliable and comfy cars for me.
Always tried to get acceptable looking cars, nowadays I'm older and couldn't give a fat rats Rs what people think. Recently bought a Nissan LaFesta, some say they are ugly, but its roomy, very comfy and quiet, and reasonably economical.quirky maybe but its a great car. I bought it for its space, and ease of access.one of my friends who is a Multipla owner loves it.
Love that feeling of getting older and not giving a toss about "keeping up with the Joneses".wasted thousands and thousands I guess but I never smoked or drank.poor excuse.lol

budgel, Feb 23, 9:22pm
That is true, but many still love them a lot in spite of their faults, which means they are getting some indefinable thing extra from the ownership.

I often ponder getting a six speed V6 Alfa. I actually enjoy tinkering, but find that as I get older I am am glad that I dont have to do it as much as I did in the past.

gunhand, Feb 23, 9:28pm
I guess if you are doing all repairs yourself it isn't so bad and indeed character building. However if you are feeding the mechanic its not LOL.
I seen an Alfa on the road (moving) just yesterday.surprised the hell out of me.

budgel, Feb 23, 9:35pm
Hell yes, I advise people against BMWs if they have no repair skills themselves. It seems that auto electrical skills arealmost more important than mechanical these days.

edangus, Feb 23, 9:57pm
I am still looking.
Best so far would have been my 73 XA Falcon. I should have kept her.
I had her for 8 years, and whilst many companions came in and out the stable. She was the one I was loathe to part with.

I would still like a ZF Fairlane (Still have mint front guards for one) but never had the cash and the car come up at the same time.

edangus, Feb 23, 10:00pm
In my opinion, everyone should own/drive an E38, car was ahead of its time.

bmwnz, Feb 23, 10:16pm
I have at different times had a Fiat 124 (1400cc) and a Mazda RX3 (12A). I used to think a marriage between them would have been fun. Loved the Fiat to drive, full of character, but it lacked power. The RX3 had all the power, but wasn't much fun to drive and didn't handle/stop overly well. Soooo, chucking the 12A motor in the 124 seemed like a great idea at the time. I never did get round to trying it - not sure if it would even be possible.

fordkiwi27, Feb 23, 10:23pm
late 50s to early 70s american and aussie cars are me. from the coolness of a 57 convert to a xa falcon coupe rumbling down the road.

extrayda, Feb 23, 10:44pm
Same as fordkiwi here.I have had 2 x XA's Fords, HZ Holden , HQ Holden.
All varying size V8's from 302 to 460.
Mostly I like V8's, but I have had a few old Jappas in my time, and I think they develop 'character; as they get old.Depends on whether you define character as something that you grow used to, with it's own quirks and habits, or something that looks different and is interesting to drive.
To me most modern stuff lacks character, until it grows on me over time !

franc123, Feb 23, 11:13pm
The character started to get stripped out of vehicles IMO when they started letting computers an windtunnels style them, as well as choking engines up with emission controls, OK these things had to happen but individual quirkiness faded away pretty quick after that. Jap engineers also had a different approach to European design studios when it came to styling. The one thing thats noticeable about very new cars is that they're all so similar and often the result of international technology and component sharing that they all need huge badges on them to tell them apart, sad really.

budgel, Feb 23, 11:57pm
Indeed, that's what I have. Still a lot of car for the money if you buy wisely and feel you can cope with the maintenance.

meathead_timaru, Feb 24, 12:09am
I can admire cars with that elusive attribute 'character' but I certainly don't feel compelled to buy them. The only car I've ever owned that had some character was bought for another reason entirely. because it would tow an apartment block with ease.

socram, Feb 24, 12:14am
A hot Mini Cooper S brought a smile to my face like no other.I am sure my modern Cooper S would blow it into the weeds on all counts, but because it is so competent, you can't ring its neck and ever drive it to its limit on the public roads, certainly not in NZ, so I have zero tales of enjoyable journeys but still treasure it.

I have just returned from the Galaxy of Carsat Western Springs and of the RM Rileys on display, three were for sale (all in good condition too).Character in abundance and a great car to drive, but like the owner of one quipped, we are getting a bit old and decrepit ourselves and as you get older, you put up with a modern as you need the reliability.

I am building my own "character machine" but it may be my last hurrah.1950's style,but with 1970's V8 oomph, disc brakes and a 5 speed gearbox - and it has a tow bar so that I can still trailer the other car with 1960's character.

bmwnz, Feb 24, 4:14am
In the late '60s I had a Lotus Cortina, 'cos it was so cool in white and green. Loved the dials etc, but really, any modern shopping cart car would blow it away, performance wise. Still, was a cool car at the time.

mopeds, Feb 24, 5:00am
My first car was a Toyota Corona which had tons of character due mainly to its age and high mileage, I drove a Nissan Sentra in the 90's which went forever and never let me down except once when I left the lights on, I then got a Honda Accord which was newer but still had something! intangible, I now drive a Toyota Prius which some might describe as boring but I think is the best of them all with all this driver information available about battery level and economy, I can drive it to the shops and back without using the engine, and I love throwing it down a twisty road with the engine running. Bad experiences include a Peugeot 205 GTI in the UK in the 90's I had one as a company car, it was a handmedown and was very hard ride, also the engine was too big and made the front heavy and cornering at speed was stiff and lacked emotion. I also had a VW Golf MK4 R32 which was similarly heavy in the front and the interior was sterile, the leather seats were cold in winter and sticky in summer. I am trying to sell an Audi Allroad, same issue with the seats although the seat warmers help but the stereo is too loud with subwoofers pumping out too much bass even with the graphic on factory settings, apart from that its too heavy on diesel so it only gets used as a tow wagon which I have to admit it does well also saves getting the prius dirty when the dogs go for their walkies.

trogedon, Feb 24, 5:04am
When I was 13/14 I used to do a milk run in Dunedin. Each day I would pass by a black with grey stripe Humber Sceptre in a guy's front yard. I'd occasionally look inside it and admire the dials (dad's VW Beetle only has two), the bucket seats etc and think it was racey. One day the owner came out and (lied basically) told me how it got the dent in the front corner. I was impressed (and gulible). The years rolled on and in my early 20s there was one for sale at the back of a car sales where I knew the mechanic. I asked if I could take if for a test drive. Maybe the black one was in better nick.this blue one put me off them forever. At the time I had a Marina van and in comparison with the Humber is was a sportscar. The Sceptre wallowed, was gutless, smelt old.
It had lots of 'character' and I had coveted them.but best left alone.
I wished the lesson I learnt I could've used instead of having 3 Triumph Dolomites.

directorylist, Feb 24, 5:06am
Lotus cortina's are still pretty cool :)

I've never really owned a "proper grown up car" about the closest i came to it was a Toyota corolla LX liftback in early 2000. Pretty much all my cars have been odd in some way shape or form. Mainly a assortment of Triumphs and Hillmans. I still think the old Hillman avenger is one of the more underrated cars out there

rpvr, Feb 24, 7:36am
Funny how some people expect cars to have "character" but don't expect the same in , say, a washing machine or a microwave. Cars are just appliances for carrying people from point A to point B, and hopefully back again when required.

unbeatabull, Feb 24, 7:54am
I still miss my AW11 MR2 for some reason. Had a lot of fun in that.