KM counter in a Nissan primera.

ejm89, Feb 25, 7:24am
I'm looking at a 1995 Nissan primera. But the km counter has stopped working. Would this be a small non costly fix!

richynuts, Feb 25, 7:29am
Depends on how long ago it has stopped! Walk away

morrisman1, Feb 25, 7:29am
Much of the time it is just electrical solder joints which need resoldered on the board, simple for someone who knows what they are doing. BUT, if yours is a P10 (older shape) then Im sure they are cable drive and you have a mechanical issue in the cluster - just replace it in that case. If its a p11 (later shape) then its electrical and may be able to be fixed.

Does your speedo and rev counter work fine!

ejm89, Feb 25, 8:11am
It's is a p11. And the speedo and rev counter work fine. Just not the odometer.

morrisman1, Feb 25, 8:14am
kk probably a dud solder connection. Me being me would buy it (as long as rest of the car is good) and try fix it myself. If not successful then replacements are easily found. I don't know what a wrecker would charge for one. As said, be careful because if its been broken for 5 years, who knows how many KM are on it. Not that KM matters too much with these, they are honest vehicles and very rarely have serious issues

ejm89, Feb 25, 8:32am
It's been stooped for around 2 years. Verified this on a wof reading on car jam. And the car hasn't travelled far in this time. The seller is a extended family member.

morrisman1, Feb 25, 8:36am
ah ok, so knowing the history helps you definitely. Just give it a good pre-purchase inspection. Main things to look for is rust at the top of the front strut towers, sludge build up under the oil cap, and look inside to see if it looks nice and clean or black and crappy. I honestly cannot think of much more than that for specific things on a primera, otherwise its just standard pre-purchase check for things like oil leaks, good coolant condition etc etc etc.

bigfatmat1, Feb 25, 8:46am
fixed one today stripped gears. s/h speedo head and odo rematched to suit