Uh oh rusty Ford

Page 1 / 2
mtrsport, Feb 22, 12:35am
Purchased a 2001 xr8 ute six months ago , condition of purchase [ Private ] was a new testing station wof , it got one ok with a warning for rust.six months later its rotten in both sills and holes in chassi , the owner of the testing station looked at it on the hoist at the panelbeaters , estimated $2500-$3000 to fix , he says he is going to get back to me.any thoughts !

wasser61, Feb 22, 1:41am
I am thinking that it is a lovely day and tomorrow I will go home to the family, They are my thoughts.

trogedon, Feb 22, 1:49am
Looking forward to dinner tonight at my mother n laws and some cycling this weekend. They are my thoughts.

mtrsport, Feb 22, 2:01am
Oh God.what have I started

phillip.weston, Feb 22, 2:13am
so when it passed with a warning for rust did you not look into the rust situation there and then! Or did you just leave it and hope it would pass the next WOF with another warning!

bjmh, Feb 22, 2:18am
first step is make contact with the original wof issueing authority,they have a complaints procedure to follow.light touch paper-stand well clear.I went to a wof update course a week ago,some of the photos of rusty cars were Falcons.AU on,don't think Mr Fords rust protection was that good.Very hard for W.O.F issuer to have xray vision,sorry i see you already have contacted t/station.

phillip.weston, Feb 22, 2:21am
Why do you think it should be the WOF inspectors issue when they first raised the issue at the last WOF letting it through as a warning (which the rust was perhaps just starting to show and not a fail item yet) and yet 6 months later when the owner does nothing about it its somehow their fault it was untreated and got worse.

dr.doolittle, Feb 22, 2:42am
Sorry to sound harsh but did you expect a testing station WOF to be as thorough as an actualpre-purchase inspection!
As I see it you only have one option, get rid off it.
Thoughts, think I'll go for a long walk before drinks & dinner.

bjmh, Feb 22, 3:07am
i didn't say it was a wof issuers issue,i stated that we have a complaints procedure to follow,if op wants to go that way.Thats how the system works,i agree with you.re the owner,but he/she can still come and complain about the wof i've issued.

trogedon, Feb 22, 8:59am
Dinner at mum n laws was nice.in case anyone wanted to know.

xpfairmont, Feb 22, 9:01am
what did you have!

neville48, Feb 22, 9:56am
Its late, I'm going to have a sleep.but.-
.Rust never sleeps!

trogedon, Feb 22, 6:16pm
Salad and potatoes and fruit salad. She's slowly come round to providing for me as a Vegan and my wife and boys as Vegetarians.

dr.doolittle, Feb 22, 7:54pm
You could eat chicken.
Thats not a real meat, it's sort of a ladies meat.

franc123, Feb 22, 8:40pm
Yep you should have got a proper prepurchase inspection, and rejected the vehicle completely if there were signs of rust or at least got a more comprehensive check from a panelbeater at the time.You could always spend 1500 on buying yourself a mig welder and plasma cutter and just rip into it, then you'll have the gear for when you need to take more rust out of it. You can't expect the previous owner to do much, he complied with your request and sold you a ute with a new testing station wof (not that their wofs are better than others).

trogedon, Feb 22, 9:23pm
I maybe Metrosexual but I'm not a lady.

bellky, Feb 22, 9:31pm
Yeah true but it's higher in protein than actual proper meat though ay.

jason18, Feb 22, 9:44pm
In before no one cares.My brother has an 01 xr6 Huge rust holes both sides inside door jams. Shocking!

hijacka, Feb 22, 10:22pm
Must be that flavour of falcon! I know someone with a very rusty AU ute, has already spent over $2500 getting rust cut out from the sills etc, and now it needs more cut out, it actually appears to be rusting from the inside out.,theres also rusting on most of the seams aswell,.Sadly I think his old XD had less rust

edangus, Feb 22, 10:27pm
One should not being referring to "ladies meat" pmsl

gemini007, Feb 23, 4:02am
DH has just found rust in his 2005 Falcon S/W - seriously spewing.

jetsin5, Feb 23, 8:28am
Where abouts Gemini! We have an 03 so probably should check it (even though it got a wof last week).

gemini007, Feb 23, 7:57pm
Drivers and passengers door "seam" - not on the door itself, but where it closes and also a bit in the rear wheel well.He got his WOF two weeks ago too.

mrfxit, Feb 23, 8:52pm
Funny you should mention that, brothers ED has the same issue with sills sedan & thats only ever been on tarseal since near new.

Could be something that started with the "E" series & just didn't stop there

funkydunky, Feb 23, 11:36pm
it's better to burn out than it is to rust