Tidiest 88 Honda Accord around?

Page 2 / 2
carkitter, Feb 23, 9:18am
They had very good looking, low profile body styling which gave them a sporty look and double wishbone suspension provided very good cornering ability too, the interior was fantastic with a great driving position and excellent ergonomics, a lack of headroom being the only factor. The auto gearbox had gained lock up torque converter and was among the best 4spd autos of the time. The B-series engines in those were an old design derived from the CVCC days of the late seventies. The F-series motor in the 1990-93 Accord was far superior in every way.

Do yourself a favour and change the auto trans fluid without delay. Old fluid kills those transmissions. Use only Honda ATF as the Honda trans is unlike any conventional auto trans and uses oil designed to lubricate multi-plate clutches.

If it has ALB (Honda's early version of anti-lock braking system) get the fluid in that changed too. It's a separate circuit to the conventional braking system fluid and often neglected with VERY expensive results.

If it's going to live outside, get it rust proofed, they were particularly susceptible to rust around the windscreen, rear window and fuel filler lid.

gunhand, Feb 23, 9:28am
Thanks for that info. No, No ABS. And I work in Panel and paint so well awhere of rust issues. I have a few minor bit to do shortly and the trans fluid and filter is to be done next week. I also owned a pop up headlight model years back and the body gave up before the motor LOL.
I tell you what apart from lacking modern safety features it goes just as well as any car ive owned. May not have as much grunt as some Ive had but hey, you need that why!All its bits work 25 years on, again better than alot of late model things. And im pretty sure if i take it to a mechanic it won't cost me $800 for some sensor or do dacky that failed (im not sure it will even have a $800 part on it LOL) or $1500 for the heater to be fixed.
Jaz reckons it may throw me off the road but I don't get that impression at all.

carkitter, Feb 23, 9:55am
It won't throw you off the road, that's for sure. The engine should be good for 150,000kms before anything unscheduled starts going wrong. The biggest problem for Honda's that vintage was delayed maintenance. Tappets need adjusting every 20,000kms or 12 months and this means replacing the rocker cover gasket as well. Gaskets that aren't replaced eventually leak, weakening the cambelt causing breakage and catastrophic damage. It's the same with the fluids (oil, ATF, brake and coolant), neglect leads to failure. They are actually very reliable cars when properly serviced.

gunhand, Feb 23, 10:04am
Hence why its having a birthday or two lol.getting all those things done, done some already.Its cruise control even works better than others ive had.

carkitter, Feb 23, 10:09am
That's a good sign because the Cruise Control was a vacuum system and I expect your car is probably the 1800cc twin carb model with 20 bizillion vacuum hoses and solenoids that operate everything possible.

gunhand, Feb 23, 10:11am
2ltr single carb.

carkitter, Feb 23, 10:16am
Excellent! Very reliable motor full of potential it you improve it's breathing.

gunhand, Feb 23, 10:20am
I replaced the rather clogged air filter, does that count!Not turning it into a race car or anything LOL.Just the usuall, blow off valve, 12" zorstLEDs wings and scoops. Probably paint most of the dash some bright colour as well. Few stickers denoting parts it dosn't have. Big sounds poorly wired and installed, lowered as well. Just the things that improve and add value.

carkitter, Feb 23, 10:39am
lol
I was thinking performance air filter, extractors and free-flow exhaust. If you ever need to remove the head, consider getting it ported and polished to increase it's flow. A lightened flywheel is good on free-revving Honda engines too. One of the big improvements Honda made with their engines in the 1990's was improving the breathing by redesigning the cylinder head flow characteristics to take full advantage of the crossflow principle. Hence the cylinder heads even in SOHC form were very wide and compared to competitors, the engines were very powerful and efficient.

grangies, Feb 24, 12:13am