When is a Trailer not a trailer

fryan1962, Feb 19, 10:00am
Is it possible to make a Largebox trailer and have it hooked up to your car without registering it, or in fact towing it anywhere but just to store some tools. if car was need to be used box trailer could be chained to power pole

bare with me just thinking out loud, possible use of garden trailer, no springs or road tires,my friend lives in appartment

skiff1, Feb 19, 10:08am
If its parked on the road, it needs a rego and wof. Otherwise tickets will ensue.

andrewph, Feb 19, 10:11am
nooooo

mm12345, Feb 19, 10:13am
True. And if it's parked on the road and loaded with tools, it's probably going to disappear.Add up the cost a typical load of trade tools, and it's much more appealing to low-life than having to break into houses and steal TV sets, laptops, and spare-change jars.

daryl14, Feb 19, 10:13am
Rent a storage unit or some garage space.

fryan1962, Feb 19, 10:34am
If it is box trailer,no one will know what is in it,high visibility good chain
either locked to car or power pole

daryl14, Feb 19, 10:39am
Don't do it, soon as someone sees you going in there to get the tools, they just need to wait till you've left. It ain't worth it.

And you'd never get the tools insured if the insurance co found out where they were stored.

And what happens when someone comes to mow the lawn or service the power pole or whatever. Hey who owns this fuggen thing. oh me now.

daryl14, Feb 19, 10:45am
Tell em to approach the Apartment owner/manager to ask for some extra storage space. Maybe they would allow a small shed in his allocated car park or somewhere else onsite.

fryan1962, Feb 19, 10:49am
Thanks Daryl14 no grass no nature strip lots of concrete

It is a machine not tools as such
good video coverage, out in the open

cowlover, Feb 19, 10:58am
Don't understand.Why would your friend want to store this machine in a trailer!If it's only going to be stored it could be stored anywhere.Otherwise if its not being used sell it and solve the problem.

daryl14, Feb 19, 11:15am
If there is loads of unused off road parking I'd still hit up the manager and ask if they'd consider building a row of small storage sheds that residents could rent out. If they're any sort of an entreprenuer they'll jump at the idea.

thejazzpianoma, Feb 19, 8:31pm
If they do decide to go ahead with the trailer idea, I would suggest they build a proper road legal one and put a WOF/Reg on it. BUT. also put a solar panel and alarm on the trailer, decent dead locks and I would go for some sort of locking mechanisim that is built as part of the trailer and dead bolts the wheels. A GPS tracker would do no harm either. None of the security gear has to be particularly expensive if they go about it right.

I would then go with a wheel clamp and chain as well, chains on their own are pretty useless as bolt cutters are cheap and quick to use.

I figure if its a heavy machine, theft from the back will be slow and with the alarm going it should put them off. If the trailer is difficult to tow and/or drag on to a truck or another trailer you should have your scenarios fairly well covered.

My thoughts anyway.

BTW, I take it trailers will only need a 12 month WOF if registered post 2000 like cars are when the changes happen! Could be helpful in this case.

Oh, and you say "Garden Trailer" I am not assuming this machine is bigger than it is am I!

pdc1, Feb 20, 1:37am
There is a guy that tows a trailer around Nelson by a horse. Don't think that is Registered.

next-to-normal, Feb 20, 4:39am
invalid vehicles dont need rego,put a box on that

fryan1962, Feb 20, 8:51am
If he sells it then he cant use it.interesting thought process

if he stores it somewhere else then there is a convenience issue

fryan1962, Feb 20, 8:53am
Not one inch of off street parking.that is the problem.as I say just asking the questions as getting ideas from others

fryan1962, Feb 20, 8:57am
I was thinking of modifying garden trailer to take large box as it is not going to be towed with machine in
all good points chain he has, is 12mm links pretty heavy

daryl14, Feb 21, 4:09am
Honestly man, I think the easiest solution is to hire a storage unit. You can get fairly small ones I'm sure. Could he claim it as a business expense!