Self righteous drivers grrr

Page 1 / 2
whqqsh, Mar 16, 2:21am
sitting in a line long of traffic in a 100kph zone, old chook 3 cars ahead at the front doing 60 holding everyone up. Yellow lines end so I indicate, pull out & overtake, oncoming car appears in the distance but I get past, indicate & move back left with plenty of room (more than 100m required by law) before he gets anywhere near & certainly safe. The oncoming driver flashes his lights, gives me the finger & swerves over to us as we pass by. Whats up with these judgemental ppl, his swerve was more dangerous than our overtaking

flack88, Mar 16, 2:30am
The guvments told them its dangerous to overtake EVER!

hatchback, Mar 16, 3:14am
I think its you whqqsh, you obviously attract that sort of thing, what do ya drive, an old Camaro or something.

matarautrader, Mar 16, 3:27am
Did you go past with a "whoooosh", a "brap brap brap", or a "whaaaaa" whqqsh! That could make the difference

tool_shop173, Mar 16, 3:29am
I see that quite often and it comes from people that hardly get out on the open road and therefore cannot judge distances by any means.

whqqsh, Mar 16, 5:01am
nah, just an old EL 'coon V8 wagon

craigs_workshop, Mar 16, 9:27am
people are losing it

you are supposed to just sit there & follow like they do

i blame the TV ads for giving people these attitudes

matthew111, Mar 16, 8:44pm
did you need to overtake! why hurry

lookoutas, Mar 16, 8:52pm
YES

The safest situation for me on the road is with no-one in front.

The safest place for someone behind me, is in front, so I assist them to get there. (That's if they've caught me up)

murray55, Mar 16, 9:52pm
Similar thing has happened to me.safely pass a car then get lights flashed, fists waved by either the driver you have passed, or the oncoming traffic. NZ roads are now populated by the sheep that once roamed our paddocks .they just moved on to driving our cars ! I think the enjoyment of driving has disappeared for most drivers, and it is now merely a means getting from A to B

dave653, Mar 16, 10:04pm
It's also uneconomical to pass one car at a time, I usually wait till I can get past 2-5 at a time.

pnh4, Mar 16, 10:57pm
Can another vehicle (Bike) legally pass if they dont cross the centre yellows & or dont hit the medium barrier I do.

dave653, Mar 17, 2:06am
Don't see why not. If it's reasonably safe, and no one gets too upset. go for it. I think a lot of people get pissed off being passed cause they don't have the clues/skills/forethought/power-
to do it first. I've passed a lot of cars that had more than enough grunt to fly past the vehicles in front of them, whether they are afraid to or too busy on the phone. who knows.

whqqsh, Mar 17, 2:45am
do you need to be a sheep!

whqqsh, Mar 17, 2:47am
I usually move over in my lane & wave bikes through, having ridden bikes before I know how a little bit of courtesy makes life heaps better

therafter1, Mar 17, 3:45am

meathead_timaru, Mar 17, 4:30am
Yes, within the same lane as long as it's to the right of the vehicle in that lane, or the left if the vehicle has indicated a right turn.

timmo1, Mar 17, 5:32am
So in other words: Passing is futile because there are too many slow/incompetent drivers on the road!.therefore the answer is to also be incompetent!

wrong2, Mar 17, 6:04am
i love it when a guy with 100 more HP than i have gives me the fingers after i overtake him & the truck hes been wanting to pass, but hasnt because hes lost "it"

big guys in big cars dont like getting the jump on them by little hatchbacks

the TV propaganda works - people are losing their judgement / abilitys

meathead_timaru, Mar 17, 6:04am
That certainly seems to be the way it's going.

flack88, Mar 17, 7:57am
Not unusual to have do 160+ to get past the c.s that put there foot up it on passing lanes, and then slowdown.The rare occasion nowdays to sit behind someone who isnt braking, speeding up,no wonder they wear their brakes out.

dave653, Mar 18, 1:45am
I have a big car, and it's an old one, and it's only a six (hot 202) and I reckon it puts the shits up flash new cars that are too high geared.

mantagsi, Mar 18, 7:49am
I commute daily on a 600cc bike in Auckland, and it really amazes me that I so rarely get anybody packing a sad if I lane split or pop a quick pass in a place where a car couldn't safely. I am happy to say that most people give me a little extra room when they see me coming, which is nice.

But in saying that, when the sad time comes where I have to drag the old toyota wagon out, the amount of people who I find are going up to 30% less than the speed limit without care or consideration of others is horrendous. I never notice it on the bike so it can be a bit of a surprise.

The Drury - Pukekohe road (SH22 -> Paerata Rd) was once a hell of a hotspot for police to ping speeders, and it got to the point where ticket issuing was so intense that people drove at 60 - 70kph along the whole road no matter what the limit. I was amused to read one day in the local rag a brief written by one of the local cops that people needed to speed up on that road, as it was causing major issues due to impatient drivers. Go figure.

In summary for those who bitch about overtaking, just keep in mind your dawdling is probably as dangerous if not worse / likely a cause for a crash as a driver undertaking a correct and legitimate overtaking move. Never mind the hoons, they are beyond the scope of this longwinded rant :)

clark20, Mar 18, 11:38am
Did 11 once on the way to Piha

jason18, Mar 18, 6:25pm
I passed a child on his push bike in the hybrid civic yesterday