Trailer conversion

v8power, Apr 1, 6:36am
Has anyone converted a standard tandem trailer into a tipper!

I often cart firewood and soil etc. Bought the trailer and cage brandnew at the time for 3.5k and after 2 years wish I had of opted for a tipper.

So, has anyone had this done and if so how much work is actually involved and at what kind of a cost!

h.e, Apr 1, 7:44am
think ram and power pack. If you go for a hand pump I think you would regret it in years to come. With wood you will want to tip to a decent angle so springs and drawbar off. New sub frame with pivot at the back, springs ram base and drawbar on this. Pivot on rear of trailer ram mount under body or at the front. Then you need to think about wiring up the power pack, cant do that through a trailer plug.
may be cheaper to sell the trailer and use the money to get what you want

mrfxit, Apr 1, 9:34am
Pretty simple for a low tipper conversion.

New "A" frame draw bar or a heavy duty "T" bar draw bar

Weld a new pair of plates on to the chassis the same as you would for leaf spring mounts.
Use those to bolt the new draw bar to it so that the trailer tips via the axle.

Theres a little bit more to the design but basically pretty simple & safe/ effective & cheap compared to powered conversions.

Done a couple before, seen a few others.

serf407, Apr 1, 10:19am

mrfxit, Apr 1, 10:28am
Powered tippers such as mentioned above WILL NEED a lot stronger chassis rails then a std non tipper trailer.
Theres a heck of a lot of stress on the back end of a full deck power tipper.
The way I have suggested need no more strength then whats already there apart from a new drawbar design.
You also need a double chassis rail setup as shown above. which means a heck of a lot of work & $$$

mrfxit, Apr 1, 10:29am
If you really want a full deck powered tipper, best to BUY NEW.
modding to that extent will cost you more $$ with less strength but more weight

unideck, Apr 1, 12:27pm
(op) NO.

zeroh, Apr 1, 12:46pm
Seen a few clever designs for a solid front tailboard that slides/pulled down the length of trailer powered by cable & electric winch . Some use a slot through the middle to attach winch cable which is looped so that reverse brings it back again to a micro switch.

snoopy221, Apr 1, 5:19pm
Yaeh nless ya baggin it [ex bag]
unideck moit argue or agree,,,,,LOL

v8power, Apr 1, 9:10pm
My thoughts exactly. Thought the buy it built option is the better way too go but was interested in the work involved. Guessing the only reusable part is the axles and springs. Everything else is totally rebuilt from there up.

Also looking into fitting a tilt kit to the rodeo if its worth while. Just playing with iptions

mrfxit, Apr 1, 9:35pm
An extra note for my concept does depend on the suspension arrangement.
It won't work with fixed springs or Torsion bar/ Duratorque setups.
Best suited for Single axle setups.

Also, a full load of soil or firewood (as you know) tends to weigh a heck of a lot.

guest, Sep 25, 8:38pm
Ive seen this great australian band from when they streatd with Bon Scott twice and every tour since then with both Razors Edge & both Black Ic...

guest, Sep 26, 5:47pm
You all are truly amazing! Every time I watch this video of James it makes me happy and sad all at the same time. Happy that this mmenot was captured for his mom and dad and sad that James is no longer here. The mmenots that were captured were beautiful. What a sweet heart for all that James was going through you sure wouldn't know he was in pain. I pray for his mom and dad daily and I am so glad you all were there to capture this mmenot for them. What a tribute to James!!!

guest, Sep 28, 3:17pm
Thank you so much for this website, the welath of information and your advice to lock up the Smart Meter. Great idea. I've written Edison and the CPUC that they may not trespass on my property to install the Smart Meter, that they must provide a viable alternative (which they have not done), etc. Just think of this: Joe is being charged with some crime. The prosecution introduces in court data collected by the Smart Meter as evidence against him. Joe cites his rights under 4th and 5th Amendments to block the prosecution from using that SmartMeter data. The judge refuses Joe and allows the data into evidence, saying: But Joe, you have already given up your constitutional protections from unreasonable search and seizure and self-incrimination because YOU HAVE ALLOWED the installation of the Smart Meter on your property. They are installing their Smart Meters ON OUR PRIVATE PROPERTY. We can refuse them on that basis.