Test driving in a private sale situation

louisen, Jun 13, 9:42am
Hi Team,

just wondering what the protocol is for someone who tests drives a private sell car. Obviouosly I need to sight the license (I'm selling the car), but do i copy it?, retain it until the test driver returns? go in the car with them? any advice would be appreciated

2sheddies, Jun 13, 9:50am
There is no 'protocol' per se for private test drives. You as the vehicle owner/seller just do whatever makes you most comfortable. Generally I've never asked to look at licences, or copy one, as that would likely be inappropriate in a private situation. I wouldn't allow a private seller to retain a copy of such personal information. I feel your best and safest option is go with the car and sit in the back.

Or if they arrive in a vehicle og similar value to the one being sold, ask to hold their keys.

gman35, Jun 13, 9:52am
Would certainly definetely no-other-option be going with them if "my own" car (it's not just "stock from the lot" at a car sales is it ?!)
Just thinking , and especially if want more peace of mind , you should also request they leave their licence at your house, to be given back once you and car return.

gman35, Jun 13, 9:55am
#2 , you wouldn't ask to see their licence before letting them drive your car ?

pico42, Jun 13, 9:56am
I would take a photo of the licence - you can't keep it as they need it with them while driving.
Whether I go with them or not depends on gut feel when meeting them.

gunhand, Jun 13, 9:56am
You are suppose to have your license on you at all times while driving so I certainly wouldn't be leaving mine.
And keeping car keys would be ok as long as the car they turned up in wasn't stolen lol. Sadly it happens.
Oh, and insist your car is not beach suitable.

louisen, Jun 13, 9:58am
am selling it on behalf of a deceased estate (my father) so definately not through a car yard. I've never sold a car privately before - always done trade ins, so feeling a little bit confused as to the right thing to do or not to do.

tamarillo, Jun 13, 10:19am
I've only once gone with someone as I was a bit weary of them, but usually I trust folk. Touch wood.

2sheddies, Jun 13, 10:22am
Not so much that, as copying it. Although I can't remember ever being asked by a seller to sight my licence when I've gone to look at cars in the past. I guess it depends how trusting you are.

Mind you, in this day and age you can't really trust anyone!

budgel, Jun 13, 10:31am
I've always driven the purchaser a short distance and then swapped over and let them drive. No one has ever complained.

2sheddies, Jun 13, 10:36am
Another thing thats getting more common nowadays is asking for proof of funds before allowing a drive. This weeds out any time wasting tyre kickers, especially if it's a more desirable car that they just want to go for a hoon in, with absolutely no intention or ability to purchase.

If I were you OP, as it's your first time, ask to sight their licence to give you peace of mind, go with the vehicle on the test drive and if you choose ask for proof of funds also, to ascertain if they're a serious buyer.

tinytoolmans274, Jun 13, 11:44am
Sight there licence and make sure your insurance covers them.

stevo2, Jun 13, 5:38pm
I have never asked for I.D nor have I ever gone with them.
The sole exception was once when the buyer arrived by foot, I did go in the car that time.
When the shoe has been on the other foot and I have been the buyer, I have never had to show a licence nor have the sellers ever come with me.

pico42, Jun 13, 9:04pm
When looking at cars, (something I do far more than selling) I volunteer my licence by simply pulling it out and showing the seller.

kazbanz, Jun 13, 11:03pm
You go on all test drives with the potential buyer.
Reasons being besides the odvious security issue You can answer any questions they might have,You can also react instantly if they make buying signals. Heck if they say they want to take the car you could head for their bank to get the money etc.
BUT AND THIS IS A REALLY BIG BUT.
Never let the buyer drive off with the car until change of ownership is completed. this is really important because they could rack up a pile of fines in the deceased persons name.
Also always issue a receipt. This is where you get the persons name,address,phone number etc -name as per their drivers licence.
Good luck

saxman99, Jun 14, 5:13am
^^ This.

cagivachick1, Jun 14, 5:29am
many years ago i test drove a 64 chev and understandibly the dealer came with me, he drove for a bit then i drove, he was being a douche making stupid comments and hadnt put his seat belt on so i braked a bit hard at a comp stop and launched hin at the dashboard, ha he wasnt impressed, i didnt buy it but know the guy who did, he has owned it for over 30 years

tigertim20, Jun 14, 5:40am
no set protocol.
I ask to sight a licence and take a photo of it on my phone.

or I say, 'Ill come along mate, in case you think of any questions about it'

gabbysnana, Jun 14, 7:13am
you can both do the change online on your mobile phone, so no excuse.

pf, Jun 14, 9:18am
I go with them unless they leave a vehicle worth more than the one they are taking .

tgray, Jun 14, 9:31am
Just go with them.
It is truly scary what people do out there and ignorance is no comfort.
Taking a copy of their licence and letting them go alone is useless.
I have had two people write off cars on test drives and have learnt my lesson.
Go with them and keep control over the situation. It's your car after all and you have never met these people before. Don't trust strangers with your expensive possesions.

volkier, Jun 14, 7:29pm
Wouldn't that be illegal, since they are supposed to carry their license with them while driving? Why not simply go with them?

wardz4, Jun 14, 10:09pm
When you swap drivers, stay in the vehicle until the other driver gets out first ! Friend lost his Skyline. Owner got out to walk around to drivers side, test pilot took off.

ozz1, Jun 16, 5:00pm
all ways go with them.