1987 Suzuki Gsx400x / Impulse

atillathechung, Oct 25, 12:10pm
After taking the 4 carb apart to clean - when putting back together, I notice two main jet had different number stamps on them and appears so to be bigger in size than other two. Anyone know which carbs the bigger jets go in. would have been ok but the cat pissed on them and muddled all the jets together

intrade, Oct 25, 12:15pm
you might have to post some photos from the intake duct engine also
www.iforce.co.nz

atillathechung, Oct 25, 12:49pm
Thanks Intrade I will stay up looking for a manual for the asian built carb will post foto if I cant the info

beno, Oct 25, 2:01pm

trouser, Oct 25, 2:57pm
The larger jets go in carbs 1 and 4 on all bikes I have worked on.

kazbanz, Oct 25, 9:42pm
Larger mains are to counter running leaner. So logically which carbs are going to run leaner?
For some reason I thought the repulse ran those funny carbs-two carbs filling four cylinders.

ambo11, Oct 25, 11:30pm
kazbanz wrote:
Larger mains are to counter running leaner. So logically which carbs are going to run leaner?
For some reason I thought the repulse ran those funny carbs-two carbs filling four cylinders.[/quote

They do run 2 carbs for 4 cylinders, and I remember mine used to die when idling hot, they had useless coils which broke down when they got hot. remember fitting GSXR750 coils to mine, which solved all the hot running problems. Can't help with the carb problem tho. They were a love\hate bike looks wise, but I had a lot of fun on mine at track days racing in their class. Oh to be a youngster again.

kazbanz, Oct 25, 11:44pm
Ambo---if you raced repulses then you and I MUST have met "back in the day"

ambo11, Oct 26, 12:33am
Kaz, I couldn't afford to have an actual racing bike back then, I would go to open days with a couple of mates and race against Gsxr 400s, RZ250s, FZR400s etc etc in track open days. Had a mate with the old penny farting Katana 750, in the "all in" events he would get me in a straight line, but I could brake/turn quicker than him and briefly beat him. heaps of fun. Until some turd in an RZ350 etc would blow us all away. lol. there was even one of those horrible Honda MVX250s amongst the mix which was pretty good. I would go to Manfield racing days to watch the guys with proper formula 2 and 3 bikes race, and get envious and dream. but my budget (and no doubt my riding ability) didn't allow me to do that. Had a mate with the original RG500, but none of us had the ability or guts to open that up there! The only racing I can manage nowadays is to the toilet at 2a.m . lol
But if you were racing in the 600cc class etc, I would have no doubt watched with envy.

budgel, Oct 26, 12:35am
Could you run your logic past us please?

kazbanz, Oct 26, 12:52am
Ambo- I was one of the guys on 250LC's then I was on one of the Gouluase (sp) TZR250 when most guys were on the red/white tzr's
mine was ex UK bike raced by Dougiie Mcleoud.

kazbanz, Oct 26, 12:52am
AHH SHUDDUP. Reverse that and rerun the comment. sorry I got it backwards.

oliver6, Oct 26, 1:37am
was a bit before that. I raced RD350s in 73/74, then an H2.
Now I do a very few track days on a Ducati, but still compete off road.

apollo11, Oct 26, 2:07am
Learned to ride on a Repulse, thought it was really powerful at the time hehe. They were good cheap fun in their day though. Might be a classic one day, style statement, quirks and all.

ambo11, Oct 26, 2:21am
Yeah i loved my Impulse, bought it at I think 7000km, sold it at 55,000 and it still ran well. Was smooth, but no power under about 8000rpm. stupidly bought a CB900 Bol'Dor after that. what a heavy, underpowered piece of crap that was, then to the ZZR1100. beautiful bike, with incredible grunt and great handling for its size. Loved the Honda Bros 600, lovely little bike, and the 750 Katana with the 19 inch front wheel was such a beautiful handling old girl. Have seen too many nasties to own a bike again, but admit I'm am often tempted by a 900 Hornet as a runaround, and the Hayabusa for when Lotto treats me nice. but then I get an old age pain, and all of a sudden a V8 Lexus looks the way to go.

gunhand, Oct 26, 2:29am
Your story sounds like mine lol. As we get older we think desire a hard core sports bike and a young dirty girl, but we really know we need a need a Touring bike with heated everything and good wind protection, something too sooth us on a trip but still feel the thrill, like a sensible mature woman.
And you don't need a lotto win to own a Busa these days, actually quite comfy but a set of risers would help just a little lol.

kazbanz, Oct 26, 2:59am
Gosh Ambo you're making me feel old--still punting my K7 gixxer 600 and K9 gixxer 750 around the tracks. Gave up on road riding on sprot bikes years ago but at 200+ they make sense.

geoff_m, Oct 26, 4:16am
Look for the 87 GSXR400 manual
http://www.graniterock.co.uk/400manuals/ and elsewhere.
Been a while since I have delved into on. I still have my race one from the 1990s. Hasn't raced for ages, and at least 2-3 years since it ran.
Still got a soft spot for the old Impulse. Not many around now - all been thrashed to death. Couriers used to use them a lot.
I almost bought one a few weeks ago but thought of the lack of space and likely arguments that would occur
As I recall, they were just over $4k brand new when sold here as an end of line from Japan.

klrider, Oct 28, 3:43am
I cant help, but have to say, cool bike!

chocky8, Nov 14, 1:03pm
Loved my pulser. had to fit a gsxr250 C.D.I as that was a weak spot on them. Unfortunately it ended in a rather nasty clash with a doberman some dick let lose on Scenic Drv. broken ribs, dislocated shoulder and a few tendons in my ankle but the dog. yuck lol

pb_tower, Nov 14, 5:17pm
x1
Yeah cool motorbike man still got mines. I will be selling in a few months on TM have done it up a bit. atillathechung if you havent found the info iam sure the bigger main jets go in cycl 3 and 4 to help keep those cycl cooler - as they get hotter than they outside 2.

whqqsh, Nov 14, 5:42pm
Those MVX's were odd, a 3 cyl V formation with 2 cylinders facing forward & one cylinder rear cylinder facing straight up which was the one that starved for oil & usually seized, as happened to my mates one. The 250 guys I rode with had a KR, an RG (white Jap import race model), the MVX, then he got a GPZ, one had a powder blue VT (god what a dog, a gay looking dog at that) & I had a GF (silver single seat model)

pb_tower, Oct 19, 6:28pm
LOL meant inner cyclinders 2 and 3