Speed camera vans

Page 1 / 3
ginks, Dec 3, 8:14pm
Are you a flasher to warn motorists ?

rsr72, Dec 3, 8:17pm
Always ready to help my fellow motorists- it's an NZ tradition to do so.

2get1, Dec 3, 8:21pm
Flasher because according to police it's not about revenue, it's about modifying driver behaviour, so a flash does just that. You are actually helping the police achieve the desired result of modifying behaviour, by flashing. It's a public service and you can be seen to be doing your bit to help out and lower the road road toll.

sr2, Dec 3, 8:26pm
LOL; great argument there!

clatty, Dec 3, 8:55pm
If I see a car coming towards me at high speed I flash headlights and see brake lights in rear vision mirror but if I know the police are on the road I don't flash headlights. I hate speeders.

loose.unit8, Dec 3, 9:05pm
Yep, sure are

saxman99, Dec 3, 9:14pm
I still do it, but it seems to be going out of fashion. I seldom see it now.

tamarillo, Dec 3, 9:31pm
Yep, and still people help with a flash. More!

esprit, Dec 3, 9:34pm
I flash.

purple666, Dec 3, 11:27pm
It is a sad reflection on society as a whole that many no longer flash, have been saved a heap of times by flashers on my bike, proud flasher here.

gpg58, Dec 3, 11:29pm
I do, but i think it is illegal these days, so if cop sees you, he gets his revenue anyway.

6tr5u8y, Dec 3, 11:39pm
Don't forget that half of the vans are simply dummy vans, no cameras.

bwg11, Dec 3, 11:45pm
Any doubts I had previously have been dismissed.

I flash and am a grateful recipient of a warning flash. As 2get1 said in post #3, it has the effect of slowing traffic, which is the stated purpose of the cameras.

elect70, Dec 4, 3:07am
Definatlly they are a road hazard so i feel its my duty to warn oncoming motorists of the danger to their wallet .

2get1, Dec 4, 4:26am
you can actually have some fun if you are brave enough and park right behind them, to piss them off. So long as you aren't illegally parked. and you don't say that's why you have parked there. When they try and demand you move, just claim that you are tired and need to rest. They cant force you to drive once you have said you are tired lol

Pole mounted cameras are easy fun to. every time I go past one on my push bike ifI can I exceed the limit. Had one just recently installed in a nice suburb in Porirua up behind the Police college. hidden behind a tree, locals real unhappy. No accident black spot. 50km zone so I used to blat past it at 65km on my push bike. The one down the gorge I have triggered countless times as I can get the tandem bike 2 up, to just on 100km/h in a 80 zone. I just laugh and smile to myself, childish fun I know.

stevo2, Dec 4, 4:32am
Loving it.

2get1, Dec 4, 4:40am
only if you are silly enough to admit that was what you were doing. helpfull hint for the day. Be familiar enough with which controls are where in your car and "claim" that you were trying to set the cruise control (my truck one is on the same stalk as the headlights so feasible ) or some other control in your car and you must have accidentially bumped it and don't admit to even having seen the camera van. Claim you didn't see it,hence why would you have flashed, so long as your claimed fiddling, wasn't with a phone etc then its not illegal.

They never actually had and to my knowledge don't have a specific offence and fine for flashing. If you admitted it and they wanted to be arseholes you could look at attempting to pervert the course of justice. But that was years ago. Now days they would probably try and ping you for some ratshit improper use of headlight, if there is such an offence. Actually I will ask around and find out lol that's why you have your believable story of setting cruise control or some other vehicle control in the same location. if you know the layout of your car its hard for them to disprove what you say and even better if your story doesn't change as they try and sweet you and make you admit it. If your story doesn't alter cause you have your controls mixed up ,I would say you are onto a winner lol

purplegoat, Dec 4, 4:46am
About the level of response I'd expect from the one admits to driving at 140 unknowingly and who admits to staying in the right hand lane from Bombay to silverdale . Oh well the silver lining is that you will be off the road soon when you fail your renewal test

nesta129, Dec 4, 4:55am
My work mate flashed a oncoming holden. an undercover police car and was pulled over for it and given a warning for flashing.Because less than a kilometre down the road was a speed camera.

socram, Dec 4, 5:06am
Put me down for a pro flasher too.

Tip. If you are ever pulled down and warned, (because you may well be), politely state that you have recently been driving a vehicle where the lights and wipers are on the opposite sides and you thought you were using the washers/wipers.

If they try and catch you out by asking what the vehicle was, just make sure you know one!

tweake, Dec 4, 5:21am
i don't flash.
if they are such dozy idiot drivers that can't see a van parked on the side of the road then they deserve to get caught.
after all if they can't see the van they can't see you or anyone else.

tigertim20, Dec 4, 7:58am
I always do. always. simply for the same reason above, if cameras are there to slow drivers down for safety, then flashing does the same thing.

Speed camera vans are civilians, and are required to abide by the law, and that includes things like having to park legally. I frequently see the parked on a motorway or in other places they shouldnt be.

On one occaision I was in my work truck, and saw one on the road side in a no stopping area, so I pulled in right behind him and sat there. got a knock on my window about 5 minutes later asking me to move, so I told him to sod off and wound the window back up.

Im tired of the bullshit rhetoric, sending a ticket that arrives weeks later doesnt make your driving safer, or the roads safer at the time that you were speeding.

xs1100, Dec 4, 8:07am
yep proud flasher and with a radar detector on board try to warn about other hazards on the road with my hazard lights LOL for people following me

beno, Dec 4, 12:03pm
I dont spose you can back that up with some evidence?
NB i'm a flasher too. The speed rules are draconian anyhow. Why should i be punished by some dick wad who cant drive safely and concentrate on the road ahead above 100kph

gedo1, Dec 4, 7:08pm
Just did some searching and research and find that you can be charged with "excessive use of a warning device" (flashing for a camera etc); you can be charged for "interfering with the proper use of a traffic surveillance device" (or something like that ) for deliberately parking behind a camera van to obscure its view. It is quite amusing to know how many obscure rules exist just to cover the possibility of such things occurring.