Speed Camera. HELP!

Page 1 / 3
pentium4, Jun 9, 10:39am
Well i was going 130k on motorway today and saw a speed camera and slowed to about 70k in about 2 seconds. This was in an ok lit area with lamp posts ever 20m or so. Was in Upper Hutt Wellington and was a Red Mitsi l300 with halogen light on the back bumper. I saw no flash and last time i got done by these pricks i got flashed. The time was 7:45 and was relatively dark. Do you guys think im safe! I was reading up and it said some countries speed cameras are infared and dont need to flash period. Do NZ have infared cameras! Cheers

cuda.340, Jun 9, 10:40am
the fines in the mail.

johnf_456, Jun 9, 10:42am
Fines in the mail take it as a lesson learnt

franc123, Jun 9, 10:46am
are you really expecting sympathy here!Care to tell the board what the open road speed on both highways and motorways is, and what speed you think cameras might trigger at!If you don't want fines, don't exceed limits, pretty simple really.The infringement office will hopefully sting you for their morning smoko as well for being a repeat offender.

antwerp87, Jun 9, 10:52am
loss of licence loss of job loss of income loss of home. All to be 10 mins earlier. Is it worth it! Honestly! If the fine isint in the mail your one lucky person. Yet the person who does 105 last weekend gets pinged because they were trying to watch the road. Show me how that's fair if a cop is reading this

johnf_456, Jun 9, 10:58am
The lesson here is don't speed full stop.

nickolaz, Jun 9, 11:11am
If you didn't get flashed I don't think you got caught. All the speed cameras I've seen around in my area have flashes.

pentium4, Jun 9, 11:20am
Yeah i know its my fault. Thing is i just want to know if ive got a ticket. Ive been in the car with my brother mum and dad all on separate ocassions when they have got speeding tickets and its flashed (speeding runs in the blood) and yeah this time it didnt flash. So whats going on here!

johnf_456, Jun 9, 11:21am
No it does not run in the blood, its called personal control.130 in a 70 is utter dumb

bigracket, Jun 9, 11:22am
Nup

bigracket, Jun 9, 11:24am
You dont have to see the flash to get the ticket im sorry.

pollymay, Jun 9, 11:49am
Did you smile!

singing1, Jun 9, 12:13pm
No flash in the dark.safe as houses.mind you they aren't that safe at the moment are they!

thunderbolt, Jun 9, 9:08pm
But that is 82.8 seconds every 10 km, and we all know that time is money.

That's 8.25 minutes saved every 100km, or 30km closer to the desination per hour!

Not that I am suggesting everyone rushes out and averages 130kph on the open road, but the attempt to show the futility of saving 82 seconds was too tempting to ignore.

morticia, Jun 9, 9:18pm
Speeding runs in the blood! LMAO nooooooooo just moronic behaviour and a juvenile attitude to obeying rules. Twat.

mrfxit, Jun 9, 9:18pm
The original cameras has an orange flash.
The newer models had done away with that for better tech.
MIGHT be lucky . or not

smac, Jun 9, 9:42pm
Why brake to 70 if it's a motorway!

These guys must be psychic to know you're getting a ticket. That really depends how fast you were going when you went past the detection area and nobody here knows that.

johnf_456, Jun 9, 10:12pm
Lol yeap

3tomany, Jun 9, 10:29pm
the average reaction time is 2sec the best drivers are1.5sec so 2 seconds after you saw the camera you were still doin 130

glennalan, Jun 9, 10:37pm
It won't take long to find out if you have a ticket so why are you in such a hurry on both accounts!

smac, Jun 9, 10:52pm
Hope I never travel with you. Maybe do some more reading.

thunderbolt, Jun 9, 11:28pm
Reaction times are greatly affected by whether the driver is alert to the need to brake. I've found it useful to divide alertness into three classes:

Expected: the driver is alert and aware of the good possibility that braking will be necessary. This is the absolute best reaction time possible. The best estimate is 0.7 second. Of this, 0.5 is perception and 0.2 is movement, the time required to release the accelerator and to depress the brake pedal.

Unexpected: the driver detects a common road signal such as a brake from the car ahead or from a traffic signal. Reaction time is somewhat slower, about 1.25 seconds. This is due to the increase in perception time to over a second with movement time still about 0.2 second.

Surprise: the drive encounters a very unusual circumstance, such as a pedestrian or another car crossing the road in the near distance. There is extra time needed to interpret the event and to decide upon response. Reaction time depends to some extent on the distance to the obstacle and whether it is approaching from the side and is first seen in peripheral vision. The best estimate is 1.5 seconds for side incursions and perhaps a few tenths of a second faster for straight-ahead obstacles. Perception time is 1.2 seconds while movement time lengthens to 0.3 second.

tuttyclan, Jun 9, 11:51pm
Why slow down to 70 if its a 100 area being a motorway.Its a wonder you did not cause a big pile up or skid off the road.
If I was the cop I would have done you for dangerous driving as well as speeding.

smac, Jun 10, 12:04am
thunderbolt at least try and disguise your plagiarism.

thunderbolt, Jun 10, 12:25am
Did I try to claim it as my own!
I thought it was interesting data and decided to share it.
I expect it was published for that very reason.