Classic v8 car carb troubles

pfemstn, May 8, 2:54am
I have 3 v8 classics, all have had power valve failure ,caused we think by the ethanol content in high octane fuel. they idle poorly are hard to start and thirsty being the main problems carb strip down reveals swollen or ruptured power valve! any one else struck this problem always use Mobil Fuel!

floscey, May 8, 3:02am
surely must be a Holley .

socram, May 8, 3:04am
I wasn't aware that Mobil used ethanol. Gull certainly do.

I have used BP 98 even in a straight six for racing, without hardened valve seats and without any adverse effect. A slug of leaded race gas now and again is all.

pfemstn, May 8, 3:08am
2 have Holleys and 1 motorcraft carbs havnt seen this type of problem since 1996? when they had all the problems effecting rubber!

carcrazy8, May 8, 4:31am
genuine Holley power valves or cheap knockoff's ?

rambler_man, May 8, 5:19am
use Caltex and Challenge 95 octane and see the difference. I did car tuned up good, go to any other brand and have to retune and GO Gas we just made it home LOL

pfemstn, May 8, 6:42am
genuine you cant tell! Holley stuff purchased thru Summit racing.Ford definitely aftermarket [,part of carb kit!]

jmma, May 8, 7:05am
Mobil use an ethanol blend in the greater Wgtn area only

http://www.mobil.co.nz/New_Zealand-English/PA/products_fuels.aspx

patiki1, May 8, 7:18am
Ive been using a Holley 650dp for years,never had a problem.I use BP 98 or Mobil 98.

pfemstn, May 8, 7:39am
jmma I think you are on to it .I cant be the only one effected! or perhaps im the first to recognise the problem cheers!

jmma, Feb 8, 6:16am
Yes I picked it up when I was fixing mowers, all the ones from the Creek were buggering up the diaphram, they only had Mobil up there. So I reckon change to another Petrol and fix the prob (o: