Best roadside repair tips.

Page 1 / 2
ozz1, Jan 24, 12:42am
when your stuck in the middle of nowhere. and no parts.
whats the best . things you have done.?

ozz1, Jan 24, 12:44am
small pin hole in radiator. ?
litely ground up black pepper.
bigger hole? a few twigs and pepper.
always grab an extra one from maccas.

ozz1, Jan 24, 12:46am
hole in petrol tank?

litely shaved flakes of soap.

pushed into hole.
glycerene. hardens on contact with petrol.

ozz1, Jan 24, 12:48am
rumbling noise from LF. ?
throw the missus on the trailer.

ozz1, Jan 24, 12:49am
rumbling noise from the rear. ?
disconnect the trailer.

haventrader, Jan 24, 12:50am
Fanbelt gone. Old couple stopped to check what was wrong. Ended up with old lady's stockings wrapped around pulleys to get me to the next town.

haventrader, Jan 24, 12:56am
Accelerator cable snapped on aircooled VW Beetle. Tied some speaker cable to the carb, through the engine cover vents and into the car through the window. Took a bit of getting used to when changing gears, but it got us home.
Had many clutches go on me over the years. Became quite good at getting the engine revs right to change gears without grinding.

ozz1, Jan 24, 12:57am
mmm. old ladies stockings wrapped around a pulley.

the mind boggles?

kazbanz, Jan 24, 1:03am
Turn on cellphone,Call towtruck. Nowadays its just not worth trying to fix a car that's stopped running

ozz1, Jan 24, 1:04am
mk1 transit . front wheel bearing gone. top end of west oz.
mates hitchedto get new bearing. lit a barbeque under stub axle to get inner bearing shell off. shaft. it took 2 days for them to get back.with new bearing. . but dumb c##nts didnt get grease. !

ozz1, Jan 24, 1:05am
good one kaz. was waiting for AA ROADSIDE reply.

haventrader, Jan 24, 1:10am
Covered 4600+ km's in December around S Island. We went days without any network coverage. Glad I'm reasonably handy getting mobile again in case the old van stopped. Fortunately we had no trouble.

rbd, Jan 24, 1:10am
Maintain the car properly so it doesn't break down unexpectedly?

If you break a fanbelt then you've failed on the above point.

jmma, Jan 24, 1:17am
Rear wheel cyl burst, EIP Vauxhall. Vice grips on rubber hose on diff, got me around for awhile (o:
Before that I used to be able to top it up when I felt it going spongy, top up while driving, brake master cyl under driver floor. Lol (o:
Young and dumb aye.

jmma, Jan 24, 1:17am
Is that you jazz ?

henderson_guy, Jan 24, 1:37am
Just after xmas, broke the throttle return spring on an old diesel engine way out in the wops. Joined the broken pieces together with a keyring.

henderson_guy, Jan 24, 1:40am
Also got a hole in an exhaust flex join just past the manifold on a Euro V6 truck in Gisborne. Stopped at a small town workshop, cut up a car muffler to make a heat shield to prevent the air intake pipe from melting, and kept driving. Was damn near deaf by the time I made it back to Tauranga.

sterid01, Jan 24, 1:46am
Toyota hilux , On hunting trip in rugged taranaki bush had a leak in power steering and brake lines from smashing stuff , had to drive back stopping every half hour to top up with cooking oil , took about 7 hours drive to get back to gas station .

pico42, Jan 24, 1:47am
I find the 4WD trips to have more than their fair share of creative solutions:
Broken rear leaf spring on a suzuki we were travelling with. Happened to have a D shackle that was just the right size to hold the spring pack clamped together once hammered into place. Lashed the diff into place with a few tie-downs.
Ripped the right rear brake line off our Vitara one day. Bled it out and clamped the rubber hose off with vice-grips. Drove home with the vice-grips secured with insulation tape and cable ties.
Out driving with a Safari one day, climbing a steep hil he pops the steering arm apart. First time I have seen bush welding with batteries, jumper leads and welding rods.
Another Sierra broke a front trailing arm. He replaced it with to limit forward movement chain and then pulled it forward with the winch line. Some slack there with the cycling of the suspension, but driving it carefully meant it didn't move around too much.

mrfxit, Jan 24, 2:09am
Towing a tandem trailer & broke a clutch cable on the 68 Victor.
Trailer had cable brakes that didn't work but the cable & clamps worked well as a replacement inner for about another 2 years.

quickbuck, Jan 24, 2:09am
Not necessarily. We have picked up a stone from freshly laid road work that stuck itself to the belt just before it went into the pulley.
guess what, not enough strength in the belt to crush the stone so it snapped!

Yup, it was a total fluke for it to get through the bash plate, however that was made of plastic so wasn't as integral as it once was to be honest.

mrfxit, Jan 24, 2:11am
Shit happens to the best maintained vehicle.
How you deal with it is more important then criticizing others for being able to sort the issue.

jason18, Jan 24, 2:13am
My falcon. Big split in the hose that send coolant to the transmission. I was about 40min from home and no signal. Ended up cutting a pump water bottle down and jamming it into the hose to stop the majority of the splut from leaking. Filled with water from a nearby creak. Made it home. Legend

mrfxit, Jan 24, 2:16am
Yep flukes happen.

Nearly got hurt bad on a roadworks section when a rock got popped out sideways by an oncoming vehicle . through my drivers OPEN window to hit HARD on the passengers door panel.

Late dusk/ early evening, ran over a dropped truck exhaust brake unit that bounced along under the car ripping the exhaust & gearbox cross member apart.

ozz1, Jan 24, 2:17am
same time as transit breakdown.30 odd years ago. top end of west oz. A buntch of poms in a old VH valiant . auto. front drive disappeared. they unbolted LF pasenger seat put it up against dash (still unbolted) and passenger steered whilst in reverse. these boys did over 250 miles like this. :)