Best roadside repair tips.

Page 2 / 2
ozz1, Jan 24, 2:19am
well said.

mrfxit, Jan 24, 2:25am
Even today, there are parts of the country where cell ph's don't work & the nearest house (IF you can see it from the road) could be 10km away.

ambo11, Jan 24, 2:27am
Don't buy Eurotrash, then you won't need roadside repair tips. lol

quickbuck, Jan 24, 2:31am
Crikey!

Reminds me of the guy down south that was killed by a mystery object.

They are suspecting it was a Plumb Bob.

I get real sick of road works real fast when on the motorcycle doing about 20, as sometimes 30 is a little too quick and some plonker, usually in a 4x4 comes toward you thinking that 30km/hr doesn't apply to them! They are usually doing about 70!

The stones to the knee can injure for life, the stones to the neck can kill!
The stones to the helmet really make me angry!

These are the same tossers that complain that the road workers can't do proper repairs and leave corrugations all over a newly sealed road.

elect70, Jan 24, 2:41am
Holed radiator , mrs had pair of scissors in her kit so used them to block the affected core , lasted for 120 kms . . Alternator gave out whacked it with tire iron & it got me home it makes the worn brushes contact the rings , broken fan belt , length of nylon rope melted the ends together but dont tighten it too much Slipping clutch talc powder will give enough grip if take it easy . . on my land rover the steering arm bolts stripped while up in the bush , tinfoil wrapped around the bolt threads & piece of wire around the hub held it enough to get home . As above cant rely on cell coverage everywhere & people are wary of stopping if its night .I Also carry a folded blanket too in case get stranded .

mrfxit, Jan 24, 2:59am
Blanket is for keeping clean while under the vehicle fixing it ;-)

That holed radiator trick I had just off Mount messenger (Waikato side . just) at nighttime (about 10pm).
Just happened to be shifting house & had my tools including a soldering iron on the trailer.
Borrowed a local farmers cowshed for power & light to remove the radiator & fix the hole.

mrfxit, Jan 24, 3:01am
Thats right . it's hard enough getting out of town never mind out in the middle of the wopwops ;-)

(sorry Jazz)

haventrader, Jan 24, 3:17am
In the 4,635 km covered in December during our S Island trip, saw more Jappas on the side of the road broken down than anything else. All the Euro's parked on the side were taking in the views, not broken. Lol!

sport_billy, Jan 24, 3:48am
Cracked windscreen? Any tips?

jmma, Jan 24, 4:00am
Novus (o:

quickbuck, Jan 24, 4:01am
Oh Novis.

Get it replaced under your insurance. You do have full cover right? The policy usually allowed 1 free windscreen per year.

If no insurance, well it will cost you heaps!

Not a lot you can do at the road side apart from monitor the crack.

sport_billy, Jan 24, 5:06am
No, will Novus it once home but on the road away from home and it has a crack.
Wondering if anything to do to stop it getting bigger. ?

emmerson1, Jan 24, 7:23am
Once had to drive for 40 minutes holding the headlight flash lever until I got to a town with street lights and could pull the main light switch out and clean it.

sr2, Jan 24, 7:58am
Enjoying the thread; got me thinking on how 40 years ago you never went anywhere without a toolbox a towrope and some rudimentary spares in the boot of your car.
We often take for granted how reliable modern cars are.

daryl14, Jan 24, 8:42am
Look up the bush mechanics on youtube. Those videos were an instrumental introduction to my trade training. He he.

nzmax, Jan 24, 9:56am
Same for myself and mates 25 years ago. Not exactly a tip, but a mate had a 1968 Nissan Gloria which had intermittent rough running issues, so a suspect fuel pump we thought. On a trip down south into central Otago, had to do a roadside fuel pump replacement at Twizel. Didn't miss a beat after that.

tintop, Jan 24, 9:05pm
I heard about a paddock repair carried out during a car club far north trip. The engine was removed by a tow rope slung over the branch of a tree and attached to the tow bar of another car. The engine was dismantled, and the various bits that needed repair were ferried about by other club members and then returned to the paddock, the bits reassembled, and the engine lowered back into the car.

tintop, Jan 24, 9:08pm
Mmmm - Perhaps you should have taken into account the dead/live ratio of the two groups.

haventrader, Jan 24, 9:12pm
Yeah, the euro-drivers had big smiles on their faces, while the jap drivers stood around in absolute frustration. Happy now?

tintop, Jan 24, 10:37pm
Hardly an answer to the relative proportions, but others will get my drift. :)

mrfxit, Jan 24, 11:12pm
Mmmmm yep

sterid01, Jan 25, 12:15am
try supa glue or tape the crack with something , even scilicon sealant may work .

elect70, Jan 25, 2:29am
Im in the belt & braces brigade , carry tow rope jumper leads 2L water plus the BMW has a good factory tool kit , my 635 even had spare headlight bulbs rechargeable torch reflective triangle & flares & a comprehensive first aid kit . Germans for ya . Only ever used any of it for other people who have broken down . What do you get in a new car , lucky if theres a spare wheel jack & brace .

tintop, Jul 24, 4:19pm
elect70 wrote:
Im in the belt & braces brigade , carry tow rope jumper leads 2L water plus the BMW has a good factory tool kit , my 635 even had spare headlight bulbs rechargeable torch reflective triangle & flares & a comprehensive first aid kit . Germans for ya . Only ever used any of it for other people who have broken down . What do you get in a new car , lucky if theres a spare wheel jack & brace .[/quote

And you are lucky if the jack actually lifts the car and you can get the wheel nuts undone.