Restoring faded paint.

bigfatmat1, Dec 15, 7:40am
Is there any magical products that can restore faded paint it's gone real flat on a couple of plastic panels and my spoiler or is it a repaint.

gunhand, Dec 15, 7:44am
First option is to buff it up and see what happens. If that don't work a repaint will be about the only decent way to fix it correctly. You could try coloured polish and such crap as well of course. I take it the plastic panels are paint and not colour impregnated plastic?

tgray, Dec 15, 7:45am
Someone once said to rub a little engine oil onto it with a rag.
Will look great for a few weeks!

gunhand, Dec 15, 7:48am
Let me guess, then it gets handed off to some poor painter who doesn't know its had oil all over it lol.

bigfatmat1, Dec 15, 7:48am
It's a rear roof spoiler and plastic panel below rear window on a 2007 suby wagon I am sure you know what ones I mean as I see loads of faded ones around . I am not sure whether its coloured plastic or not. Tgray I think that's what the previous owner tried either that or silicone

gunhand, Dec 15, 7:56am
As a rule any thing you apply to a surface short of paint is a temp fix only. Will look good for a week and then fade all over again.
Try a cutter first and see what happens. Bit of effort by hand needed of course.

andrewcg53, Dec 15, 6:58pm
It is not the paint but the clear coat so unless you re clear coat it anything you do will be a short term fix.

kazbanz, Dec 15, 9:02pm
mat working on the theory you really have NOTHING to loose by mucking it up I'd actually try a full on go at it.
So first off I'd be doing whats needed to remove the silicone/oil etc. A rub over with prepsol is how I do it but the painters here will know better.
Then start with a sand with 2000 grit sandpaper used WET.Then wash it off and buff it with cutting compound. Follow that with FINE cutting polish.
Might take two goes with the cutting polish.
They a good plain polish.
Its labour intensive and makes no sense for a painter to do.

What ive often wondered about (and never tried) is after a good sand and cut what would then happen if a coat of clear was sprayed on
Im sure the experts will know--Ive never been game to try

grangies, Dec 15, 10:41pm
That will certainly work, as long as the paint is only faded, and NOT damaged. Also the clear goes on over the sanded paint, and not the cut paint. It will not adhere properly to cut paint.

Its how we blend our colours. I dry sand the colour with 800g on a 3mm orbit D.A sander, which is the equivelent of about 1500g wet rubbing or grey scotch-brite.

The clear coat fills in the sanding marks.

bigfatmat1, Jun 11, 9:38am
Thanks guys will give it a try