Polycarbonate windows.

morrisman1, Apr 20, 10:43am
In about a month or two Ill be ready to put polycarbonate windows in the car, but Id like to have them shaped to the original curvature so that there is no stresses placed on the fibreglass parts (doors & rear hatch), and also theres a rather sharp curve in the factory glass of the rear hatch which polycarbonate won't bend happily when cold.

What would be the best way to get a bend in them? I can remove the glass to act as a mould but my technical issue is having an oven large enough to get the polycarb evenly up to temperature. Is this something that a shop which worked with polycarb would likely have?

tamarillo, Apr 20, 10:44am
Race car?

tintop, Apr 20, 10:57am
Its a long shot - but give the guys at 'Glashape' in Warkworth a call.

http://glasshape.co.nz/

morrisman1, Apr 20, 11:25am
yea, track car. Warkworth is a bit far away!

safteystv, Apr 20, 11:37am
paint booth or powder coat booth. a bakers

attitudedesignz, Apr 20, 10:11pm
Yep I'd talk to ya local friendly painter (although friendly ones are hard to find cos most are grumpy bad tempered gits). A good bake oven should give you the temp' and work space size needed.

cabrio1, Apr 20, 10:54pm
Give Rob Trainor or Clive a call at Composite International in Papakura.
They make these windows for light aircraft and helicopters, might be able to give you a simple method to use. 09 298 5325.

tintop, Apr 20, 11:33pm
As I said - A long shot! lol

m16d, Apr 20, 11:51pm
Crikey morris. your getting carried away with this race car.

morrisman1, Apr 21, 1:50am
yea, Im doing all the bloody things that I said I wouldn't do. Wasn't going to make glass panels, or fit a race seat, or do poly windows etc etc. I have said Im not going to turbo too, but I think Im more likely to stick to that!

kazbanz, Mar 3, 5:05pm
you're in invergiggle. Id see who shapes polycarb down your way.