Manual cars

Page 2 / 2
franc123, Sep 29, 4:44am
You just spelled out why manufacturers have gone to tiptronic.

intrade, Sep 29, 4:51am
Because everyone is mental

budgel, Sep 29, 7:31am
The E38 was my first auto, still got it.

melonhead1, Sep 29, 7:40am
I'd accept a dual clutch transmission car if not making manual cars is how its gonna be.

tintop, Sep 29, 7:46am
I don't want manual or auto.

An i3 will do me for scooting around town :)

ladatrouble, Sep 29, 7:51am
Auto's weren't common here until the Jap Imports started coming in, they were nearly all auto. They were considered a soft old man's option.

tintop, Sep 29, 8:09am
Nothing of the sort - they were an option that some people preferred.

I have a mate that part owns and drives a fully auto Scania logger.
I will introduce him to you - you can call him a soft old man if you wish. :)

gunhand, Sep 29, 8:14am
By whom? I was around when imports started coming in and don't remember one single person saying that at all. I do remember people saying ( a few years later after a few fiasco's were sorted) that it is great to have a choice of cars with better options and generally better than what we had already.

race_hemi, Sep 29, 8:19am
Stuff auto's unless you have a transbrake and are running through 5.14's or stiffer.

joanie04, Sep 29, 8:20am
The only auto I have owned was my last vehicle a cheap and nasty Ford Laser. The mags wheels were worth more than the car lol. My Holden Astra dropped a piston so I got the Laser from the local wrecker. Went really well until someone decided they wouldn't stop at a stop sign. Took two attempts to get me and wrote off the Laser. I replaced it with a manual Nissan Avenir Salut as my teenager was learning to drive. Is not that confident with the manual but now that she is at uni she can't afford to run a car let alone own one lol. She either walks, catches a bus or gets the boyfriend to drive her around.

I also have an old war wound (knee injury from over 30 years ago) that is starting to give me trouble after city driving. So may need to upgrade to an auto.

race_hemi, Sep 29, 8:32am
And this is the problem right here. Gawd, i must be outta touch or had my kids at the wrong time. 'Everyone' had confidence issues with learning to drive a manual for the first time. Bunnyhops, lurches, f**k me - it was part of learning to drive. All of my kids drive manuals. They were brought up driving manuals. The reason for teaching them to learn driving a manual was so they could drive either type. Haha! I have heard about people not being able to drive manuals yet they had a kiwi drivers license. Gawd how pathetic.

tintop, Sep 29, 8:36am
Many years ago, before Jap imports, my friends oldish landlady gave up driving because of her knees. My friends took her down to Dominion Motors in Newmarket and she tried out a new Morrie 1100 with the AP auto trans. She drove it for the next 15 years - it was her pride and joy.

A whole new lease of life for her.

whqqsh, Sep 29, 8:44am
Mate of mine picked up a old ute real cheap because his mates boy racer son bought it to do a 'mini-truck' project but him & none of his mates could drive it with the column change manual BAHAHAHA! Useless generation!

joanie04, Sep 29, 8:47am
My father warned the three of us if we ever came home with a Morrie 1100 or even a Mini he would not fix it. Was not a big fan of British Leyland or anything he had to knee down to repair. Liked his Mark 4 Zephyrs though. My brothers assured him they did 80mph in third gear.

kevymtnz, Sep 29, 8:47am
autos have low resale value so are dumped in nz

kevymtnz, Sep 29, 8:54am
if so be lucky to get them over a 100mph my mk 5 cortina would beat them

tintop, Sep 29, 8:56am
by ?

gunhand, Sep 29, 9:11am
Why is it pathetic? Most use cars to go work and do shopping and the likes and probably don't give a flying rats arse about it being a auto, as long as it works. Manuals were all we mostly had at one stage before a better class of car came along so ya had to learn manual or not drive.And it was an art as many were crap from the start lol. Geez not like ya need to drive a manual for work even much these days as most vehicles are autos. Even trucks, tractors and other heavy equipment is all going (or gone) auto now.
Its just a skill that really is not needed in today's world much anymore.

tintop, Sep 29, 9:25am
Re your last line - The Scania running on full auto will outperform a driver using manual mode :) So why worry about the joystick / paddles even. ?

jeff1234, Sep 29, 8:49pm
We have found the younger guys/girls not being able to drive manual a pain. All the tractors, ute, motorbikes all have a clutch and although the newest tractor is a semi auto, you still need clutch control for close work or some loader work. On a side note, we really dislike autos and our focus is getting up there in K's. How mch hassle is it bringing a car over from UK? Resale not an issue and barring high end BMWs etc, everything is available in manual.

welshdude, Sep 30, 2:06am
After owning automatic cars for 15 years I went back to a manual because I enjoy choosing gears. The traffic seems to have got a lot worse in that time and I realise now that manual sucks in traffic, hills and tight parking. Back to auto again soon.

2sheddies, Sep 30, 2:35am
Great post! I'm of exactly the same opinion as you. To me, it should be mandatory to learn in a manual, because then, as you say, you can drive either. Anyone can put a lever into 'D', release the brake and steer. I know autos are far and away more common now, but there is always the chance you might find yourself needing to drive a manual. There's quite a few still out there.

Example: You apply for a job. it includes a company ute. you get the job, jump in the ute to drive home. you discover it's a manual. 'Oh. ummm, sorry boss, I can't drive this, can you buy me an auto'! He says 'Whaddaya mean? I thought you had a full licence'? Yeah, but I can't drive a manual'!

It's funny how you can be a fully licenced steerer in NZ, despite being only 'half' qualified. And worrying that these same people can, after passing the test, legally operate a manual, despite having no experience whatsoever.

Anyway that's just my 2c worth.

sw20, Sep 30, 2:49am
One of the young supervisors at work had to sheepishly tell the boss that he couldn't drive the small work truck because it was manual, and column change at that. Lost his man card that day.

elect70, Apr 15, 3:01am
I went to local BMW & took a drive in new M235 quick yes but no soul & when i asked about manual option he says not available , so I said too bad no sale ( iwasnt really gonna buy it anyway just wanted to try it out ) stick with my old manual M328