Lowering car with King Springs

Page 1 / 2
bunny2121, Jul 29, 2:35am
Got a Holden Commodore im looking at lowering with super low King Springs.
Only concern is some roads around CHCH are still pretty bumpy. Anyone with a lowered car have any feedback driving around CHCH and how they find it with lowered car.

melonhead1, Jul 29, 3:15am
Don't lower it, lowered cars look really gay.

nave12, Jul 29, 4:56am
Especially commodores.

horsygirl, Jul 29, 5:05am
Gay Pride Week in Chch?

skiff1, Jul 29, 5:38am
I have to crack up how many guys think that they (and their mates after 18 Woodstocks) know better than the engineers who designed the car. In my experience, I have never ridden in or driven a car that had been improved by lowering.

mals69, Jul 29, 6:05am
Drove an evo and an avensa lowered on low profile tyres
on quake city roads and was bumpy, felt hard on the vehicle.
Even in my terrano the ride is so harsh in sports mode compared
to touring mode - prequake the difference in ride was very little
on city streets.

berg, Jul 29, 7:53am
Even better when they insist their car handles better than factory after they have taken an angle grinder to the springs and lost a few coils

mileyfan73, Jul 29, 9:02am
Car makers spend millions on designing,testing,refining,pro-
ducing suspension set ups for optimum handling and ride comfort. then young muppets come along and chop them down or change the springs and think it 'goes better'.The mentality is beyond comprehension.Especially when they lower the drivers seat too so they can't see where they are going.

brapbrap8, Jul 29, 9:06am
Nothing annoys me more than muppets who get a decent performance car like an Evo or something then lower it an add about 15 degrees or more of camber for 'stance'.

jason_247, Jul 29, 9:29am
Lows arent so bad. as the geometry isnt too badly effected whilst still looking abit better

Superlows generally require shortened shocks in the commodores. and handling is compromised due to being lower than the design wants

vivac, Jul 29, 9:58pm
Whilst you are right, the manufacturers also have to make compromises, comfort and cost being the major ones.
Done correctly lowering can and will help a car get around a track faster, but its usually a lot more work than just lowering, there is a pretty good reason most race cars are a lower than factory examples.
Mostly street cars are lowered for looks though and handling is not really a concern.

mals69, Jul 29, 10:32pm
1st world problems

Re racecars - no potholes on a racetrack to contend with

melonhead1, Jul 29, 10:51pm
Does all that camber on the rear wheels do anything other than wear the inner third of the tire out before the rest of it?

phil1up, Jul 30, 12:14am
You need to understand that our modern youth are totally controlled by their image.

They do not lower their cars to make them handle better, they do it to impress everyone.

They are not strong enough to admit this so they say that it is for safety, & then think that because the people that they lie to are as thick as them they will be believed.

swfc1867, Jul 30, 12:33am
I always have a chuckle when I see this on front wheel drive cars.

mals69, Jul 30, 1:29am
And all the old buggers in here never modified their car for looks back in the day ? The youngins these days are not modifiying your car or any other old
fart in here passing judgement so why should it matter ?

richardmayes, Jul 30, 1:39am
I remember watching some chump drivign a Honda Rafaga that was so low, he couldn't get over the wide, low speed humps outside the Cock & Bull pub in Botany Town Centre without scraping.

Crawling, he got half way across the first bump, then when it started to scrape, he stopped, backed up, and tried again driving across the bump at an angle. It still scraped, but a bit less which evidently he was happy with.

There were about 5 or 6 bumps in a row, he repeated the whole rigmarole with each one.

I was at lunch with my boss and workmates because I was leaving the company, we were all impressed at how the car's lowered suspension really improved the guy's speed and performance.

bill-robinson, Jul 30, 2:19am
these idiots are the reason for the cert process for more serious mods

tamarillo, Jul 30, 2:56am
Not in Christchurch. You need all the suspension travel you've got on those roads, really.

crankypants69, Jul 30, 4:09am
Yep, I think a few memories have gone with old age. Can't remember all the old Falcons, commodores and valiants with air shocks pumped right up or long spring hangers so they can get the wide tires on

tamarillo, Jul 30, 4:12am
Agree, I support sensible safe mods, part of car culture. But lowered in chch isn't good idea.
Raising it and putting on chunky tyres would be better and different!

monsieurl, Jul 30, 5:11am
I'd hate to see half of the meatheads "stock because the companies know best" cars up in here. if the dude, likes the look of it lowered, good on him, he asked a Q about feedback, definitely didn't ask for a car fashion critique from morons who use words like "Gay" to describe a car, SMFH!

berg, Jul 30, 5:23am
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/400501333.jpg
There you go. My "meathead" car. Stock suspension, different wheels, tints, mudflaps, towbar, bonnet guard, you know, highly modified lol

richardmayes, Jul 30, 5:39am
In engineering design there are usually multiple conflicting demands, and no obvious solution. So any design solution that you come up with, is inevitably some sort of compromise that achieves A, B, and C all at acceptable levels, even though some people on the team might privately have preferred a little less "B" as that would have enabled a lot more "C".

Even the factory will provide different suspension set-ups for different sub-models. that is why the Fairlanes have softer more luxurious suspension, XR6 turbos have firm suspension and a lower ride height for fast driving, and Falcon utes have harder springs and more clearance for carrying big loads in the back. even though they are all more or less the same car.

SO it is certainly possible to improve the handling of cars. throwing in a set of Superlow King Springs from Mag & Churbro Warehouse is not necessarily the same thing as tuning your car's suspension for better handling though.

onyx-1, Jul 30, 6:18am
I can never understand why people continue to buy king springs, your still going to need a cert plate. Why not go for adjustable coilovers and camber and toe arms. Get the whole lot done at once, improve handling, get a proper wheel alignment.
But hey if you want super lows, stupid camber and a car which still handles like crap well your choice.