Lowering car with King Springs

Page 2 / 2
fast4motion, Jul 30, 6:44am
The cert process was brought in about 30 years ago, so hardly the fault of the "modern youth" you're referring to in the post you quoted. You should be blaming previous generations.

melonhead1, Jul 30, 7:36am
Black Bonnets are soooo gay.

sw20, Jul 30, 8:03am
Depends which side of town you live on. If you live west/north of the city, you can drive what you like.

East/south of the city. 4WD pls.

My RX-8 isn't too bad, and now my GT Corolla has new KYB's and Yokohamas all around it is fine.

bunny2121, Jul 30, 9:18am
Oh well. Guess this was a bad place to get any real feedback from people it seems.

vivac, Jul 30, 9:27am
Err, what?

sr2, Jul 30, 9:49am
+1; a well balanced post there mate, I couldn't agree with you more.

skiff1, Jul 30, 7:48pm
you would be mad to lower a car in a city with more potholes than tarseal.

bill-robinson, Jul 30, 8:18pm
I am one of the previous generation if you don't mind.

tamarillo, Jul 30, 8:22pm
Bunny, you just need to trawl through the discussions and find feedback that addresses your needs, it is here.

mals69, Jul 30, 10:10pm
To true - yep high up at the back was the order of the day. Probably worse
handling than what they do these days.

sr2, Jul 31, 5:11am
It was 1992, 23 years ago. Surprisingly enough it was a bunch of conservative hotrod club members who were primarily responsible for the unmanageable overly draconian system we have now.
A classic example of crapping in your own nest!

matarautrader, Jul 31, 5:34am
I think we should encourage our kids and their friends to lower their cars. The end result is a car that they drive slower because they are trying to avoid any bumps, potholes etc. Its a safety issue. Slower = safer.

tamarillo, Jul 31, 5:42am
Were you involved? Cause this is crap from what I know. Other clubs were involved inc constructors car and sports car club, though hot rod guys did bulk of work and should be thanked. Why? Because otherwise almost no mods would be allowed. Govt was happy to simp,y plug and play some Aussie rules that were very very restrictive. But these guys slowly persuaded them to loosen up and to allow certified mods with controls. It was a great compromise and a lot of hard work went in. NZ now has great regs, yes it's not perfect and yes there has been certification issues. But would you rather have no allowance?
Before this the rules were. well there weren't any. I built a fibreglass monocoque car with mini bits and registered it using mini chassis number of which I used none, and my own surname. No checks, no test, just simple wof. I should not have been allowed to do that!

sr2, Jul 31, 6:34am
LOL; I was around at the time as well; your comment "hot rod guys did bulk of work" sums it up pretty well.
what we have now is an unmanageable disaster area with experienced certifiers sadly leaving in droves, thanks guys!

esky-tastic, Jul 31, 9:17am
'Leaving in droves' - really?

And you answer to no certification that would be a better system is?

sr2, Jul 31, 12:36pm
Get real mate the; certification system is an absolute mess created and run by a PC brigade of "experts" who share more in common with the Dog and Lemon Guide than they do with your average car enthusiast.
Ask anyone who's had to deal with them over the last few years, (socram where are you?). It's become a self perpetuating out of control monster that has certifiers bailing out like rats deserting a sinking ship, ask anyone who's tried to have a car certified in Auck. lately.

bill-robinson, Jul 31, 8:30pm
you are correct SR2 2 parts to a cert for a scratch built. you go though one process but cannot pass untill you go the process 2. you cannot go through process 2 first you must do it in the correct order and time limit. if the lvvta go away on a jolly your time limit goes with them and you need to restart the whole process. system needs sorting out

tamarillo, Jul 31, 11:40pm
And if they hadn't got involved we would have no modification rights.
True the system needs refining and energy but that's expected when starting new things, but sadly hasn't been done.

tamarillo, Jul 31, 11:43pm
You're wrong. It wasn't created by dog and lemon PC lovers. The guys and gals who helped sort this got us huge compromises and rights to do safe modifications. Stop shitting on them when you don't know better.
Since then it has been left to rot, and so it is no longer working well. Any process needs revisiting and refining.
Again, if they guys hadn't got stuck in, we'd have nothing. No rights. No home builts, engine swaps, lowering, even bigger wheels.

bill-robinson, Aug 1, 12:45am
you are correct. no modified road cars people would have gone racing instead

sr2, Aug 1, 1:01am
Sorry mate; I'm not trying to make things personal but an all care and no responsibility argument doesn't wash with me.
Sadly, the legacy your "guys and gals" left is simply an unworkable dog.

I'm sticking with my original argument re: crapping in their own nest!

bill-robinson, Dec 5, 2:16am
the whole cert system could be replaced by compulsory insurance for all cars and drivers.